Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased, received & installed my custom Odyssey Video System and love it! Especially the kids do.
After reading for the last few months on the forum about all the different video systems and problems, I decided to go with the www.RearSeatVideo.com System #2 Odyssey Kit. It only took me about 2-3 hours to install following their detailed step by step Odyssey installation instructions. Their Odyssey pictures and illustrations in the instructions were a great help and very detailed. The system fits perfectly and works great. It was basically a piece of cake overall to install. And if I wanted to take the system out when I sell it, I could easily without anyone knowing it was there except for one hole which can be plugged with a plastic Honda molding cap. I am not mechanically inclined at all and it took me less than 3 hours to do with normal house hold tools. I did have to wait for rearseatvideo.com to finish up on their new custom under dash VCP console that they finally finished up on October 1st. The system came complete with everything needed for installation including screws, clips and a special solderless Odyssey power adapter which allowed me to tap into my Odyssey's power source without hurting any wires. I also purchased a DVD player through them. I placed the DVD #1 player of theirs under the right front seat. Both the VCP and DVD players are completely controlled with remote by aiming the remote at the screen which is a great feature when my kids are too young to control a remote so I have to do it while driving.
Here is the link http://www.rearseatvideo.com/honda.htm
NOTE: I worked on the price with them and they gave me a discount of $100 off the total price. I told them that I had alot of friends with Odyssey's and that I can refer them to them. Which was what made them take the bait. I am 110% satisfied with their System #2 Odyssey Kit.
Thank you everyone who suggested them. I owe you one. Now I am going to try to hook into my Navigation screen with the video system.

Dr. Keith
2001 Odyssey EX

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Dr. Keith, congrats on the new system. I do have questions for you though? I checked the website out and from what I see, the system you purchased is made by Audiovox. Did you get 6.8 or 7 inch system and what did you pay? The only reason I ask is there prices are very high. With the prices they quoted on there I could sell and install that system for for less money. The VCP did not even look like it was stereo. Just wondering.

DanDan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the VCP inside their custom under dash console is a Stereo Hi-Fi. It works great!
I think I paid $1,400.00 total with the under dash console without the DVD player. I purchased that a couple of days later.
The under dash console is the best part of the kit. Especially the detailed step by step instructions with pictures. The screen is Audiovox but the rest was their stuff.
Just a special note, a few months ago they (rearseatvideo.com) were contacted by Honda of America Research & Development Division. Honda used them and their knowledge for research and ideas for their iVES system they have now. I know I saved a bunch of money installing the system myself. Their instructions were very helpful. I highly reccommend this system.

-Keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dr Keith,

I emailed some questions to their website about how the screen unit mounts to the roof. They replied that the instructions give two alternatives. One is to slide the mount in from the right side of the headliner and the other involves cutting a slit in the headliner. Neither of these options sounds "easy" to me. It also sounds like the headliner only is holding this up. Any problem with that? I'd hade to have the whole headliner sag after 6 months.

So what exactly is involved in attaching the roof unit? Which option did you use? I wish they had the instructions online then you could get a better idea.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The instructions were very simple and strait forward. I used the harder way my inserting the mount from the passengers side. If I had to do it again I would of cut a slit in the headliner and inserted it that way. They gave both ways in their instructions. As for the headliner holding it up... The headliner is thick and sturdy. I thought the same as you do. But after seing how strong the headliner was I wasn't worried. Besides the whole thing only weighs about a pound or so. The salesman told me (and I did use this method) if I was worried about the sagging of the roof liner to purchase some two sided 3M tape at WalMart or Target and place the tape to the top of the mount between the roof metal and the mount. I did that just in case and for maybe to prevent a possible rattle in the future. You really can't go wrong with their system as far as I can see. I talked to someone who has this same system purchased from rearseatvideo.com in their 1999 Odyssey. They have had it in their Odyssey since the end of 1998 when they purchased it for a Christmas Present! They said that they had not one problem with the system at all in the past 3 years. And they stated that they use the system 3 times a week at least. That is what finally sold me on getting it!!

I hope this helps!

Dr. Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked them if they were going to a 13.3" screen. They said that the 13" screen will work, but they will not provide the installtion or the kit for the Odyssey because it would hard to install and would need a professional to install it. IT wouldn't be a easy installation as their other kits are for the Odyssey. They also said that they were working on a 8" and a 10.4" system which I see that they have out now on their web page from a e-mail memo they sent me. They also said in that memo that they have a DVD player that goes in the dash under the factory radio slot. Here is the direct link for all 4 screen sizes at http://www.rearseatvideo.com/odysseyk.htm
Other than that, that is all I know.

Dr. Keith

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the idea of having two monitors. I wish they had pictures of both of the monitors in the Ody. Also, do you have to buy the VCR with the kit, or can you get a credit and upgrade to the indash DVD... or skip their players all together if you wanted something different?

Otherwise, it looks very nice from what I can see! (they do need to hire a web designer... blech!)

------------------
-Andrew Starks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was interested in a rear monitor before I purchased the kit too, but wanted to see how well the front overhead monitor worked before forking up the extra bucks. But actually I don't think need one, the 6.8" screen I purchased is good enough in size and clarity to see in the rear 3rd seat. Actually I followed my wife in my car on the freeway the other night, and I could see the screen clearly while we were going down the road. I wish the sound would travel back 20 feet so I could hear the movie in my car. Next time I am going to wear a set of the wireless headsets to see if they work that far. That was cool. But to answer the question, yes you can easily put a rear overhead screen for the 3rd row seats they told me. I believe that that addition was about $550 for the matching color console with a 6.8" screen, mount and cables. They mentioned that if I wanted to have the dual screens they recommend using the 7" screen up front and the basic 6.8" screen for the rear for the best setup.

-Dr. Keith

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dr. Keith,
I read that you said you are going to hook your system into the navigation.
I have 3 questions:
1. Since the DVD for the nav is factory installed under the passenger seat, how can you install your new DVD player there?
2. Are you trying to make your nav as a second monitor for your system? If so, are you successful doing that?
3. I am sure we would all like to see some pictures of your new system installed, would you mind?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had time to figure all this out yet with the NAV system. I have been real busy. I was going to attempt to tap into the Nav screen the way this site posted on how to do it or how the MDX club says to do it. But that way seems too hard. And if I did I could't have both running at the same time. I might just purchase a flipout 7" screen to take the place of the factory radio. Alpine or Pioneer I don't know yet. Pioneer just came out with a DVD/CD 7" flipout screen in dash unit which would be the best way to go I think. I can always put the DVD player I have now in my Durango when I purchase a video system for it soon or sell it on EBay.
I put the DVD player under the front bench seat not under the "Right Front" seat. Sorry for the typo. I could of put it under the RF seat but it would stick out a little bit.
I will post pictures as soon as I purchase the new Sony 5.24 Mega Pixel Digital Camera that just came out. The local stores are sold out on it at this time. Maybe Santa will buy it for the family? This will be my first Digital Camera. I hope it is a good one. Any input on this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Dr. Keith

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just curious, is there a fixed position to mount the flip down video monitor?
I looked at the instruction to install the IVES sold by HandA, the instruction #32 says there is a elongated hole in the roof panel so that you can mount the video monitor bracket onto it.
This looks like there is already a fixed mounting area for the monitor, and I wonder why Dr. Keith mounted his onto the headliner instead of the more sturdy metal roof panel.
Another question is: if there is really a fixed position to mount the monitor, how can you put another monitor anywhere else?
Also, even with the template provided, how do I know where to cut the headliner in order to expose the mounting position of the elongated hole in the roof panel? Simply by feeling through the headliner or....? The instruction #4 does not say how.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your talking about a complete different system and installation with those page #4 and #32 questions. This is not the iVES Honda System at all. I downloaded the installation instructions for the iVES Honda System before I decided to purchase the www.rearseatvideo.com system. Boy what a difference between the two systems. I was scared to install the iVES system because of its pages and pages of instructions on taking my whole Odyssey completely apart. The rearseatvideo.com instructions were extremly easy to install and the step by step pictures and installation options were a blessing. One cable installation basically.
As I can see, the screen assembly can be placed anywhere in the vehicle unlike the iVES screen. I tired to pull down on the screen assembly just for kicks the other day to see if it was up there good and tight and it didn't budge at all. All I can tell you is that the screen mounting is very simple and if I added the rear screen it would only take about 10 minutes to do I think. I remember seeing in this forum a guy who put dual screens next to each other and he didn't seem to have any problems as your wondering about.
What I think the problem is you are thinking way to hard for this installation. Especially mounting a screen and console which together weighs under a pound. If you do not want to take my word for it, hey that is your problem. I am only giving my 2 cents on my experiences and wasn't intending to hold someones hand.
I did my research also before purchasing which is good thing. I even went as far as to the local Honda dealer to see the iVES system installed. They actually let me take a look at a mechanic in their shop who was installing one. Boy was it a mess with all the stuff the mechanic had to take apart. I didn't want to do all that! My rearseatvideo system was allot easier to install and looks allot better in quality than the iVES. The screen is to me allot clearer, the system has much more options such as adding a DVD player etc., and the custom under dash VCP console and screen sizes. It also came with a perfectly color matching screen console which the iVES does not! It looks very professional installed in my vehicle and I feel great about my purchase and decision to purchase it from rearseatvideo.com. My neighbor last week purchased a system for their SUV from rearseatvideo after seing my system. I helped him install it last weekend, and he and his family are tickled to death with the system and the deal they got.

-Dr. Keith

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dr. Keith,
I admire your willingness to share your experience. I am also the guy that will do all the research before shelling that much for an add-on. Thanks for doing the research for us. I do trust your decision was the best.
I have checked out the rearseatvideo.com and do like their system. Two things I notice though is the color of the vcp console attached to the bottom of the dash, it does look too much like a add-on to me, does it come a color matching that of the dash. The second thing is the screen itself, it looks a little too bulky in the picture, how much is the thickness measured from the headliner?
Overall, I agree the Honda's IVES installation is too much and yours should be simpler.
One last favorite to ask, do you mind post pictures of your finished system for us to see?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. Although I am not a spokes person for rearseatvideo.com I feel like it is my obligation to spread the word from my experience with them and their system. Since I was referred to them by the odyclub members. Like I said it is your decision, it was a big one for me and I am just tring to help.
I asked them the same questions about the VCP console color matching. They said that they could not match the greenish tint of the Odyssey dash to make it look good. So black is the only way to go for now. I noticed that the iVES console is the same black color too. But they have matched the screen console perfectly. They have a thin screen console, but they found that the angle of the kids necks from them being so short in the seat makes their heads look up even farther. So they only include the 3" console show on their web page unless someone requests the 1.5" one. It is not bulky at all. After installing my screen, and seing the angle my kids heads are at, I can see how the 1.5" console will make the angle even more. The iVES system has a thin console and if you look at their promo picture the kids are looking strait up almost. The guys and gals at rearseatvideo sure thought this thing out 100% for the Odyssey as far as i'm concerned.
As for the pictures of my install. Like I stated before in one of the other posts to this subject that I am in the market for a digital camera. I still haven't decided on one yet. I think a 5MP camera would be the best but there are a few out now. I am hoping for one for a early Christmas present, along with a rear screen for my van.

-Dr. Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OOOPS - SORRY I NEED TO CHANGE SOMETHING I SAID A LITTLE BIT.
What they (rearseatvideo.com ) told me about the VCP console matching colors is that they can only match the 1999 Gray dash color but not any of the others at this time because some have a greenish tint to them so they keep them all black to keep things simple. I am sure you can order a gray console.

-Dr. Keith

·
Registered
291 Posts
I installed the Honda Ives in my 2000 Ody, and though the pages of instruction wer intimidating it was very easy and clear that they were very thorough. As for the strenght of the headliner holding up this is not related to install. You cut thru headliner and attach LCD monitor to the frame of vehicle with machine bolts then fit trim plate to cover up and make finished touch. It is scary taking razor to headliner but the template is fine and there is slight room for error/variation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to hear you're up and running, or watching, I should say. We just bought our '02 EXL-Navi, a Pioneer AVDW6000 LCD monitor and the roof console. Unfortunately, they don't include a template and the Helms service manual doesn't provide enough information for me to accurately locate the roof mount. Before I start cutting, I would appreciate any help with dimensions from a nearby feature (such as the overhead vents). Also, where is it best to tap into 12V power.

Best Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by planosteve:
Before I start cutting, I would appreciate any help with dimensions from a nearby feature (such as the overhead vents). Also, where is it best to tap into 12V power.

Best Regards,
Steve
</font>
You might be able to find some answers in this thread:
www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000214.html

Courtesy of Marvyn.
I'm about to embark on this project this weekend.
Good luck.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bones774:
I installed the Honda Ives in my 2000 Ody, and though the pages of instruction wer intimidating it was very easy and clear that they were very thorough. As for the strenght of the headliner holding up this is not related to install. You cut thru headliner and attach LCD monitor to the frame of vehicle with machine bolts then fit trim plate to cover up and make finished touch. It is scary taking razor to headliner but the template is fine and there is slight room for error/variation.</font>
For the IVES, this is definitely true. However, for this particular install, I think Keith is speaking from his own experience with the aftermarket unit, in which he used double sided tape and the headliner to attach the screen, not the overhead cross member of the chassis.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts