Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe its the color of my 02Ody (evergreen pearl) but it seems like every little dirt and dust shows up and I just washed it the other day! Does anyone notice this? I'm thinking it could be the color I have. If I drive it in the rain, the sides of the van is pretty filthy afterwards. Is it okay to wash every week or so? Would this be okay with the new paint? We got the paint sealer protection done on our Ody. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Light color cars show dirt a lot less than dark color cars. My wife didn't believe me until she bought her forest green Accord. At the time my Accord was white and she thought a white car would show dirt more. We live off a dirt road, so the cars are hard to keep clean. My white Accord, and now our new SS (silver) Odyssey, look much cleaner than the forest green Accord.

[This message has been edited by Steve P (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The darker colors show more dirt. You'll just have to keep after that baby to keep her clean. Good luck!

------------------
Dave
02 GG Odyssey EXL. Full Nose Mask, Cargo Tray, Dash Designs Dash Mat, Mud Guards, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Fog Lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are two kinds of dust/dirt: one is light-colored and one is dark-colored. The dard-colored kind just happens to be more abundant where you live.

Yes, it's OK to wash every week, especially if you can get the other significant to do it.

"We got the paint sealer protection done on our Ody." This only means that you got ripped off and little else. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by soldbear (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I will be very busy keeping that green Ody of mine clean! It's a beautiful color but will have to put more time in keeping it looking nice. Oh well.... I'll look at it as my exercise program of the week!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Tips from another DEP Owner...

I own an '01 DEP and know what you mean. There are two thing's I'd suggest to you that I do.

1) Use a high quality polymer based car finish/
"wax" like Zaino. I used Zaino on my Ody, and habitually use the Z-6 spray after washes to reduce static and increase the "slickness" of the finish. Though I don't have hard data, my subjective feeling is that it helps reduce dust attraction/buildup on the paint's surface.

2) Buy a California Car Duster and use it on a frequent (at least weekly) basis. This thing works awesome, without scratching the paint.

I've found that with the above combination, I'm washing the Ody every 3-4 weeks and keeping it pretty darn spiffy most of the time. But then again, I keep mine garaged too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Shinjohn,

Thanks for the tips! Sometimes after I wash my EP Ody, the next day I can't believe its already dusty, and good grief if it rains cuz then there's like little dalmation spots all over the sides of the van.
I have heard of the California duster and I have seen them at some of the stores here. I was actually worried about it scratching the paint but since you mentioned it doesn't hurt it at all, I may look into buying one.... going 3 or 4 weeks without washing would be awesome!!

I keep mine in the garage all the time when its not in use either if that helps!
Any suggestions on how to keep the back rear window clean?? That gets so filthy and probably more dirtier than anywhere else.

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shinjohn,

Just curious, what is DEP stand for? I know the last two letters are for evergreen pearl, just wondering what the D stands for. Also, I thought the EP color was new for 2002.

·
Registered
81 Posts
tikaju said:

I have heard of the California duster and I have seen them at some of the stores here. I was actually worried about it scratching the paint but since you mentioned it doesn't hurt it at all, I may look into buying one....
The secret to the Cali. Duster is that it's coated with parrafin wax so it's easy on the paint. I've been using one for 2 weeks and am very pleased with it.

I also got the smaller version for the interior ($7) and it works great. The problematic dust on the instrument panel, steering wheel and dash is gone in just a few swipes.

These are simple but ingenious products. Wish I had thought of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
California Car Duster

The CCD is great. We used it on our black Maxima to pick up the dust between washings and it works beautifully. No scratches just sometimes a little streak from the parrafin wax here and there. Its not for cleaning the car if it is dirty, say after a rain, just for the dust that collects.

We really don't need to use the duster on our Ody since it is silver and doesn't show the dust like the Maxima did. We probably will never have a dark colored vechicle again after the Maxima, black sure looks good when clean and polished, but every little rock chip shows up and it gets dusty real easily.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the DEP stands for dark emerald pearl.

Also, someone had asked about the rear window. The suggestion I had heard was using a dryer sheet (used so it doesn't smear) to wipe it down so it reduced the static electricity and won't attract dust as easily.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DavidGSR said:
I think the DEP stands for dark emerald pearl.

Also, someone had asked about the rear window. The suggestion I had heard was using a dryer sheet (used so it doesn't smear) to wipe it down so it reduced the static electricity and won't attract dust as easily.
Correct. I'm looking at a 2001 Odyssey brochure and it lists Dark Emerald Pearl as a color option. Looks like Evergreen Pearl replaced it for the 2002 model.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had a dark green Junkstar that stayed dirty. I would was and wax the thing, and a half hour later it would need dusting. i finally reserven myself to NEVER BUYING A DARK COLORED CAR AGAIN!!!!!

I went to the extreme on my 02 Ody. TW. It looks pretty good even when dirty. I still wash it weekly, but a little dust doesn't spoil an otherwise clean vehicle.

The MB is also a great color, but I have had 6 other cars that color and I was sick of it. I needed a change.

My wife wanted a Pearl White Continental and I got the TW Ody. Now, when I walk into the garage, it sure is bright in there.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
tikaju said:

Any suggestions on how to keep the back rear window clean?? That gets so filthy and probably more dirtier than anywhere else.

Thanks.
As David said, but here's the thread...

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2551&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Man, amazing I haven't had time to visit the detailing forum and read up lately... sorry for the absence!

I gotta say though, as the owner of a black car and a dark green minivan (oh yeah... dark emerald pearl!), I just can't get away from the dark colors. They just look so darn GOOD to me that I'm willing to put in a little extra effort for cleanliness. Yes, it may show dirt easier, but I say great, that motivates me to take care of my investment better...

Again, to each their own, but I'd rather drive a clean, sharp looking dark vehicle, than a "can't tell its dirty" light colored vehicle. To me, those colors are just boring. In the end, whatever makes (and keeps) ya happy. :D

p.s.- check your local wholesale club for the CCD. They bundle the big in little duster together very cheap....

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Re: California Car Duster

GeoHawk said:
No scratches just sometimes a little streak from the parrafin wax here and there. Its not for cleaning the car if it is dirty, say after a rain, just for the dust that collects.
Did ya "temper" your duster by laying it out on newspaper before using? (this gets rid of excess wax) I've never gotten a single streak from using mine. Also, be sure to just use the lightest of touch when using it; I hear pressing down also can cause this to happen..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all the feedback on the California duster, it sounds like a good investment to keep the car looking good.
It'd probably be great to use during the nicer weather when the car just gets abit dusty and all, but for the rain and more icky weather, a good old car wash is what it needs.

That's true about light colored cars not showing the dirt as much. I should have known I guess, we have a beige SUV and it never looks as dirty as our Evergreen Pearl Odyssey. It probably is but I can't see it! That's the same with the silver,beige and white Odys, it always looks clean even after its rained.

I agree with ShinJohn, it might take more effort to keep these dark colored vehicles clean, but I don't mind either. We're still happy we went for this color. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are there fake CCD out there?

I had heard that there are fake California Car Dusters out there... actually labelled just like the real CCD. My 'source' tells me that the fake ones have the plastic handles, whereas the real ones were wood. Is this true? Somehow, this just doesn't sound right...

I had one about 10 years ago, but it had a wooden handle....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts