Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see any South Florida comments so I decided that I could start a thread.

Although I haven't received my Ody yet, I thought that I should start chronicling my experiences for posterity. Maybe some one will see a mistake I'm making and help before it gets out of hand.

Here goes:

My wife had our second boy ( the first one is a bit over 2 now) on Jan 22 this year. And that gave me the excuse I needed to get rid of her way upside down on a trade in Mercury Mystique. I mentioned this to my father in Law and he said he needed a car for his young daughter and the Merc would be perfect. We did each other a favor (I hope) and agreed on a price. I said I’d deliver the Merc once I get a Mini van. You see he and his daughter live in the Ft. Worth, Texas area. Neither of are in a rush so no problem.

This had to be around January 26th.

It didn’t take long to choose the Ody. In fact I’ve been researching mini vans for a couple years now and I knew that the Ody was a hot commodity that was going for well over MSRP at the time. A quick trip to Edmunds told me that they were down to MSRP now and that sealed it for me. Ody it is.

Now the fun starts. I do a “get a quote” deal on Carpoint.com and get a response from Coral Springs Auto Mall (CSAM). The salesman was a nice guy, young and hasn’t got the lying part down to good so he wasn’t trying very hard. I liked him and still do. (I’ll post his name later when I take delivery). I talked to him several times about the different options available and although no one could show me, nor had any one seen one let alone had one, I was determined to get the NAVI.

Couple days later I went by Brickel Honda down town Miami ’cuz I’d never seen Granite Green before and they said they had a GG EX with an aftermarket RES. When I got there, The EX had about $2,500 worth of DIO’s on top of the aftermarket VHS RES, and the salesman had slicked back hair with tonic or something in it so there was no way I was buying from them. But I talked to the guy and asked him about a NAVI. We went back to his office and fired up his ‘puter and did a search in the whole state of Florida for a GG EXL NAVI. Nada, nothing. We did a search for any color and a white one came up in a dealership in Tallahassee or somewhere and that one was sold already. That was amazing, none in the whole state of Florida. I was more determined than ever to get a NAVI.

Saturday Feb 2: Went to CSAM to show the wife an Ody. The guy at CSAM said he didn’t have a GG EXL NAVI but he could a) look for one and possibly trade for it. Or b) get an EXL and have aftermarket NAVI installed. I was in no rush so I gave him a $500 deposit (fully refundable he assures me) and tell him to start looking for an EXL NAVI, any color except Beige or Red Rock. And call me from time to time and let me know how the search was going. (I’ve got $500 floating around in Auto Limbo)

Monday Feb 4: I was driving to one of our facilities and I passed by Maroone Honda in Miami. I pulled in and started talking to a salesman (I’ll post his name after I take delivery as well) this guy was dead between the ears. He couldn’t answer the most basic of questions, so he calls the Sales manager over. Well this guy doesn’t know much either but he makes it worse by not admitting to himself that he doesn’t know. (He told me the NAVI got its map database beamed down from the satellite). Any way they didn’t have a NAVI, never saw one, and only knew of one that came through he dealership in 2001. I left feeling that was a dead end.

A couple days later, CSAM guy called and said he talked to his aftermarket guy and he had just installed a navigation/ DVD system in an Ody and had pics and everything. So I went and met with this aftermarket guy. Sure enough he did a super job of installing the navi/dvd w/ surround sound in a 2002 Ody. Looked beautiful so I was intrigued. We sat down and he told me what it entailed. After it was all said and don, I would end up with 4 remote controls and $5700 poorer. The remotes didn’t scare me but if I brought home that system, I’d have to sleep in it ‘cuz the wife would kick me out. No way would she work 4 remotes to play Barney for the kids. So that option was out.

Friday Feb 8 , I get a call from the guy at Maroone and he tells me he can order exactly what I want and it would take 6 weeks to get here. I was a little skeptical, but Maroone is part of Auto Nation and has to be one of the largest dealerships in NA. I thought it was worth a chance.

Monday Feb. 11: I ran down and gave the Maroone guy $500 and told him to order me a GG EXL NAVI. (Now I got a grand floating around in auto limbo.)

Well the guy from CSAM calls me a couple of times wondering about the aftermarket deal and I tell him too many remotes and too much $$. So he tries to talk me into an EXL RES. No dice, I’ll wait, but he doesn’t sound to optimistic about being able to get my NAVI.

I tell my partner about the hunt and he says he knows Rita Case of Rick Case Auto, and they are opening a new Honda dealership right down the road from where we live. He calls her up and asks her if she can get a GG EXL NAVI. She said she’s got 703 Hondas being delivered before the March 1 opening and she is sure one will be what I want. I’m intrigued but not optimistic.

Couple days later, Rita Case calls my partner and sez in the entire time she’s been selling cars she has never told a customer that she couldn’t get the car they wanted. She didn’t think she could even order one. I’m dejected. I think the Maroone guy is stringing me along. He cant order one, He’s got my money and figures I’ll get tired of waiting and will get something else.

Monday Feb 18: I call Maroone and confirm that my GG EXL NAVI has been ordered and the sales man passes me of to the guy that does the ordering. This guy is 100% sure that he’ll get my Ody by the end of March. I’m almost convinced. I call the CSAM guy, he sez he’s still looking.

Monday Feb 25: I’m surfing the Odyclub website and I see a post about David McDavid in Irving, Texas being a straight shooter. I figure I’ve gotta beliver the Merc to Texas, maybe there is a GG EXL NAVI in Texas. I surf on over to David Mac website and shoot off a request for a GG EXL NAVI. Here’s the response:

Dear Marc,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm your Internet Consultant for this area. The vehicle you are requesting, a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX- Navigation is avaiable and I am authorized to offer a discount.

Your confirmation number is XXXXX. You'll need this number in order to receive our Internet cost reduction. I'm able to set appointments on-line or by phone.

Straight talk on Hondas.
Internet Sales Manager
David McDavid Honda

It took me about three seconds to dial the phone and get this guy on the line (I’ll give his name after he delivers). He sez that a customer ordered one a while ago and he either backed out of the deal or the factory sent them two(I was so excited I didn’t pay close enough attention) and that a GG EXL NAVI is on the way from the factory and is scheduled to be delivered this month (February). He doesn’t have a VIN yet so he figures the delivery will be the first of March. I explain the situation I’ve found here in Florida and he sez, being the Internet Manager, he has sold vehicles to out of state before and that he would call the County in Florida and set up TT&L stuff. When I ask him about the “Internet Cost Reduction” he said that he usually gives $250 but since I’m so far away he’d give me $400 under MSRP.

I give him my credit card and tell him to call me when he knows something (VIN) (now I’ve got $1,500 floating around out there in Auto Limbo.)

For some unknown reason, I'm betting that this guy will come through before the others.

I’ll post more as developments occur.

[This message has been edited by BadAngler (edited 02-28-2002).]

·
Registered
628 Posts
Aw, the search for the elusive Odyssey has evolved into a ongoing series. Maybe the networks would be interested, book offers are sure to follow and I can't wait for the movie. I am enjoying this BadAngler!

Good luck in your venture. Keep us posted on every contacts these fiends make.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sixtn39.

UPDATE:

Got a call this morning from Brickel Honda. (New salesman. I have no Idea if his hair is slicked back or not but I have my suspicions)I Told the guy what I was looking for (GG EXL NAVI). He asked if any other color would do. Wanting to play with the guy a little, I told him that any color would do as long as it was Granite Green. He said he'd do an "investigation" and call me back.

I got a feeling this guy is gonna hound me to change my mind and settle for something else.
I can hardly wait

Also my buddy from CSAM called this after noon and asked if I wanted to look at a Beige L-RES. I told him no thanks but me thinks this guy's getting the hang of it.

[This message has been edited by BadAngler (edited 02-28-2002).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BadAngler:
Thanks sixtn39.

UPDATE:

Got a call this morning from Brickel Honda. (New salesman. I have no Idea if his hair is slicked back or not but I have my suspicions)I Told the guy what I was looking for (GG EXL NAVI). He asked if any other color would do. I told him that any color would do as long as it was Granite Green. He said he'd do an "investigation" and call me back.

I got a feeling this guy is gonna hound me to change my mind and settle for something else.

I can hardly wait
</font>
FWIW, I had a friend who tried his hand at new car sales (Volvo) at a large dealership a few years ago.

His story: He'd get a prospective customer who wanted a particular color. A different color would come in on the next truck.

The sales manager made my friend call the customer and lie: "The color you wanted just came in." The customer would come over and they'd try to talk him into the different color. Sometimes it actually worked.

Dealership practices really disgusted my friend, who was no stranger to sales tactics (been in it for 30+ years). He couldn't take the deceptive practices for very long and quit.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ _ ____________________ _ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L (It's RP, not "RRP") ;)
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Monday Feb 25: I’m surfing the Odyclub website and I see a post about David McDavid in Irving, Texas being a straight shooter. I figure I’ve gotta beliver the Merc to Texas, maybe there is a GG EXL NAVI in Texas. I surf on over to David Mac website and shoot off a request for a GG EXL NAVI.</font>
Roger and McDavid seem to have their act together in that they know what is coming in their allocation. Picked up my Ody there last Saturday after a two-week wait. Make sure you get Rog to give you the drive-out price. They tried to stick with me the $299 window etch fee at the last minutes but I pulled out my e-mail from Rog showing a driveout price w/o the etch fee. They took off the fee. I noted later the windows were etched so I guess I got a freebie ($300 or $20 value depending on your POV).

------------------
2002 EX-L GG

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ed Morse Honda, West Palm Beach. 2002 TW EX-L RES ordered Jan. 21, 2002. 2002 TW EX-L RES delivered Feb. 25, 2002.

I couldn't ask for much better.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

Well I gott call from my Texas connection on Friday afternoon. He's got a VIN and everything. He tells me the Ody will be in a distribution lot in the DFW area today or tomorrow latest. From there it will be delivered to his showroom a couple days later.

I had to ask him again that he was certain that it was a GG EXL NAVI. He said sure like whats the big deal. But my Daddy always tought me that if something is too good to be true, it is.

We'll see. I faxed him a credit app this morning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

I didn't receive a call yesterday regarding the credit app nor status on vehicle delivery so I called them this morning. The salesman said received the app on monday and will pass it on to the finance guy today.

I'm not sure what he was waiting on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Call Rick Case they have 4 Navis in stock
and I think they have a GG in stock. Check their website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Half Car. I found the GG EXL NAVI at the new Rick Case Honda about 5 miles from my house.

Ended up paying $998 over MSRP bcause of a Protection Package and a Dealer Fee they wouldn't budge on. But I got a 5/100k powertrain warranty, door edge guards, etched glass, free car washes for life, loaner car, roadside assistance, some kinda sealant they couldn't explain to me very well and pin stripes.

Love the NAVI. Now I need a RES

1 - 10 of 10 Posts