Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I have a 2002 odysey, and had 4 wheel balance and alignment. Still, as I approach 40 mph you fel the shake. Hit 50 and its bad. At 55-60 the van vibrates like you want to pop your eardrums/open your jaw wide, like the dentist advises.

Only about 72,000 miles on it.

Any idea what causes this, guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had this exact same problem with my 82k 2001. Actually, I double checked the year of your car and made sure you weren't my husband writing this.

We bought our van at 74k a few months ago. The tires had minimal wear, though weren't quite "new." Alignment was not perfect, so we had dealer align it before we bought it. All was well.

About a month ago, we noticed the tires beginning to look old, with signs of dry rot and impending doom.

We watched them carefully, but hadn't replaced them yet b/c we just blew $4500+ on our TDI Jetta.

We had them rotated and balanced, in hopes of getting rid of a few ride troubles we had.
Following this, we had brake issues (squealing during stopping, pulsing), alignment issues (pulling to the side, shimmy, wobble). We thought we needed tires, brakes, and alignment.

This morning, we went outside and ne tire was flat. It had split open along the edge of the sidewall at the tread.

We got four new tires this afternoon. (Falken Sincera)

Long story short, that one tire was the cause of all of our problems. Brakes, now? Fine. Ride? Great! Alignment? Nearly perfect, but still going to have it aligned.

Even just removing the offending tire and using the donut to get to the tire shop showed that that tire was the main source of our troubles.

Now, I'm NOT saying this is your problem, but I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
pippo said:
...had 4 wheel balance and alignment. Still, as I approach 40 mph you fel the shake. Hit 50 and its bad. At 55-60 the van vibrates like you want to pop your eardrums/open your jaw wide, like the dentist advises.
1) Loosen and retorque each of your wheels-- I've heard horror stories about loose lug nuts after shop work. Check to make sure the lug nuts are the right type for the wheels, BTW.
2) OEM wheels or aftermarket? Maybe need hub rings if not OEM wheels.
3) If OEM wheels, get a new balance-- preferably on a Hunter Road Force tire/wheel balancer.
4) Exchange the front and rear tires to see if that resolves the issue-- it may be a bad tire per OdysseyPilot.

G/L.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd go with a bad tire also. Had a shake on our 02 that went away with the replacement of one pair of tires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks a bunch, people. Good tips, ezpecially on the tire idea. I have a hunch it may be a bad one, as recently, one blew out (before the shake thing).

Lemme look into it some, and maybe I'll do what yous advised on changing out some tires to eliminate them as a source.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Don't forget to check for bent wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re-torqueing the wheels is a good idea. It's very common for shops to air gun the nuts on, way over torque. And this can cause warping of the rotors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SuperDad said:
Don't forget to check for bent wheels.
Bent wheels?? Man, wouldnt they have been apparent when the shop balanced them AND did the allignment?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The alignment person wouldn't be able to see the bends, since they'd occur on the inner radius of the wheel.

The balancing person might be able to see it, if they were paying attention. Sadly, they are probably paid to get your wheel off the car, balanced, and back on as fast as possible.

Another tidbit... make sure your balancing shop uses Honda or honda-similar weights. Standard wheel weights will fly right off the alloy rims of a 2002 at about 50mph. I made the mistake of getting my tires replaced at the local Sears(doh!), and of course they only have standard weights. Went in about 5 times to get them rebalanced(free), each time getting all of a mile from the shop before I heard at least one weight fly off. Finally gave up and took it to a REAL tire shop, got the right weights, and its been good since.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SuperDad said:
The alignment person wouldn't be able to see the bends, since they'd occur on the inner radius of the wheel.

The balancing person might be able to see it, if they were paying attention. Sadly, they are probably paid to get your wheel off the car, balanced, and back on as fast as possible.

Another tidbit... make sure your balancing shop uses Honda or honda-similar weights. Standard wheel weights will fly right off the alloy rims of a 2002 at about 50mph. I made the mistake of getting my tires replaced at the local Sears(doh!), and of course they only have standard weights. Went in about 5 times to get them rebalanced(free), each time getting all of a mile from the shop before I heard at least one weight fly off. Finally gave up and took it to a REAL tire shop, got the right weights, and its been good since.
Sorry for delay, Dad. I didnt know that. Just talked to the mechanic today on this, and he said bring it back in ......theyll recheck it, so thats what Ill do. Thanks, Man. Im tired of my ears popping....LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts