Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the 2002 Ody has a new engine and a new transmission. Are they used in any other Honda? Is there any history on their reliability? I have my deposit on an '02.

The "conventional wisdom" says to avoid the first model year of a new or redesigned car. Wait until the next model year so that any bugs / kinks are worked out. I don't like the idea of being an expensive guinea pig.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beeryr4:
Ok, so the 2002 Ody has a new engine and a new transmission. Are they used in any other Honda? Is there any history on their reliability? </font>
The engine is still the same basic J35 found in the present Ody and the Acura MDX but with the Acura's HP figure.So I don't think reliabilty will be much of a question here with regards to the motor.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would think the transmission would be the same as the MDX, I am not 100% sure but it would make sense since the automobiles are produced at the same plant and it would be a good way to keep the costs down

·
Registered
596 Posts
Conventional wisdom still applies. The first year of ANY brand is somewhat a gamble. We have been spoiled by the "reliability" of the Japanese brands in this country. In the past, most of the models we saw here were first used in the "Old Country" and all the "bugs" were worked out of them by the time we saw them. These days, we see "American" Hondas, in which WE are the guinea pigs who do the "field testing".

There has been some concern expressed on this board and others about the perceived quality degredation and I think the above is the answer. There has been plenty of outcry in the home market (Japan) about bad cars and that is because, as it is here, they are driving "new" cars and experiencing the flaws inherent in them.

Just my two cents on the subject of first year models.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thought the 02's were going to be built in Alabama. I believe the engines are already built in the U.S. Don't know about the transmission. The 01 tranny was a product of Japan.

Al

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Conventional wisdom still applies. The first year of ANY brand is somewhat a gamble. We have been spoiled by the "reliability" of the Japanese brands in this country. In the past, most of the models we saw here were first used in the "Old Country" and all the "bugs" were worked out of them by the time we saw them. These days, we see "American" Hondas, in which WE are the guinea pigs who do the "field testing".

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX
</font>
That's something I hadn't considered but it makes perfect sense.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the info about the engine and transmission being shared with the MDX. The July 2001 Consumer Reports review on the Acura MDX said "The strong 240-hp, 3.5-liter V6 delivers smooth, responsive acceleration..." and "The five-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly and responsively..." and ... the reliability [of the MDX] ... should be above average."

I feel better now. This is not a first time engine, and it had a good review by an organization I trust.

Now to keep waiting for the '02 LX to come in and researching things like: a delivery inspection checklist, how to break in the engine, etc. This would be our first New vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first year is always a problem. I heard about big changes in March, but I bought 01. Big changes + the new plant just didn't work for me. I'll buy a new one in 2012 :)
Good luck and happy driving ...

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I thought the 02's were going to be built in Alabama</font>
The '02's are being built in Canada as before. The new plant in Alabama is planned come on line in November. Then they will be both building 02 Ody's for a while to satisfy demand. I heard that eventually, once they are building lots more Ody's, the may reduce the Ody production in Canada, and increase the MDX production. But I would guess that's just a marked demand issue.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beeryr4:
Ok, so the 2002 Ody has a new engine and a new transmission. Are they used in any other Honda? Is there any history on their reliability? I have my deposit on an '02.

The "conventional wisdom" says to avoid the first model year of a new or redesigned car. Wait until the next model year so that any bugs / kinks are worked out. I don't like the idea of being an expensive guinea pig.
</font>
- I agree with you - be careful with new model year makes. For the 02' Ody, I have seen a drawing of a new low restriction exhaust system.
(see http://www.wieck.com/public/*wieck_search and search for Odyssey)

My thought is the engine will be slightly modified but that the timming (ECU), intake and exhaust systems will be drastically improved. I think that is where the additional 30 horses are coming from and I am betting that the modifications can be made to a 00' or 01' with few problems.

egl

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the same reason we went ahead with the 01. And because I didn't want to wait an unknown time. Hopefully our dealer will surprise us and give us some accessories free due to paying full price and getting only squat on our trade in.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odydriver:
The first year is always a problem. I heard about big changes in March, but I bought 01. Big changes + the new plant just didn't work for me. I'll buy a new one in 2012 :)
Good luck and happy driving ...
</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts