Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now, the show you've all been waiting for: "Name That Part"!

Today, we have a lovely 4 3/8" x 1 5/8" piece of >PBT-ABS< plastic (we know this, because it's stamped inside, just like that, below the HONDA name) with the mysterious letters "CAV #1" printed inside.
Buckle Rectangle Plastic

Bumper Door handle Automotive exterior Plastic

Be the first to name this part! Save me the agony of wondering whether to toss it or put it back in my glovebox (where it's been since we bought the van a couple of years ago...)! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
And now, the show you've all been waiting for: "Name That Part"!

Today, we have a lovely 4 3/8" x 1 5/8" piece of >PBT-ABS< plastic (we know this, because it's stamped inside, just like that, below the HONDA name) with the mysterious letters "CAV #1" printed inside.
FWIW, I think you can disregard the mysterious letters "CAV #1". They seem to be common to other Honda parts, so I assume they have more to do with the material that the part is made of than a description of the part's function. Obviously, that's just a guess.

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/honda-cav-1-81395-grey-car-seat_76a4a9c9-abd4-45cb-a0f9-624508dfa7a3

98-02 Honda Accord Jack Covers Panels Cav# 1 & Cav #2 Pn# 84690-S84-A000 | eBay

Honda Front Emblem Gold Cav1 P/n 71120-sda | eBay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for joining in!

@ jnissen: could be..., but it clearly has 'HONDA' stamped inside; does Honda make detachable GPSes?
@ lucio2016: true, there's a lot of black plastic up in the dash area, but also a lot of grey elsewhere (especially side panels and seats)
@ DerbyDad03: thanks for pointing out the 'red herring'--will disregard!
@ pappy: my glovebox lock cover is in place (and it's black)

I was thinking it had something to do with a seatbelt--one of the overhead ones, or something for a child carseat, but nothing seems to fit... Still searching!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doesn't seem to be for the in floor storage either. The overhead belt holders look a bit different. I tried looking at under seat track covers but nothing jumped out at me.

Maybe they put it in the van just to play with our heads :)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I tried looking under seat track covers but nothing jumped out at me.
I assume that you are quite happy that nothing jumped out at you from under the seat track covers.

:eek2:

Reactions: Dizzledog

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no big deal, it looks like a trim cover otherwise honda will definitely make it in black color or gray color. if it doesn't match your interior color I would say it's not from your van.
It actually is grey (not blue, as jnissen mentioned above). And, as I mentioned above, the colour matches side panels and seats. Guess it remains a mystery!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
FWIW, I think you can disregard the mysterious letters "CAV #1".
Most likely the CAV refers to a multiple cavity injection mold. As parts are produced dimensions are occasionally taken and they can tell if a mold is going bad and if it is just one cavity they can block it off and use the other.
The tools are the most expensive part of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Oh and I'm going to guess that it has something to do with a dealer installed option. That part came off and was replaced by something that came in the kit and they put it in the glove box.
I guess that's possible, but that would mean that those of us with "standard Ody's", i.e. no dealer installed options, should be able to find that part installed someplace in our vans. So far, none of us have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my 2010 there is a foldable center tray in between the front seats. Maybe it is a cover for the hinge bracket at the bottom, close to the carpet? Not sure if this is the same on the earlier models.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts