Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I guess I've always known that OEM nav systems are short on features and performance and big on "integration" and of course price.

Now I've lived with the nav system and all its bells and whistles in my newly-acquired '07 EX-L-NAV-RES... and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I have a Garmin nuvi 360 that's a treasure, and I paid $160 for it new (plus a recent map update).

This... thing in the Ody's dash has Commodore 64 graphics. It seems to throw street names on randomly. I can only make sense of the display because I'm driving familiar streets and can "translate" the jaggy scribbles. It has absolutely no GPS or trip computer features at all - speed, altitude, time moving/time stopped, etc. The voice control is hopeless (I have a clear, unaccented voice and have managed one successful command in perhaps 30 tries.) And even for a 2007, no Bluetooth is a serious omission.

People really pay some 10% of the base vehicle price for this? Intentionally?

The good news is that I don't think I paid anything for it - my price was fair for a good EX-L without the toys. KBB pricing doesn't seem to add much for them, either, meaning the whole $4,000 went down the old drain for the original owner. The big display for some features (audio, etc.) is kind of nice, and I really like the big picture from the rearview camera.

The bad news is that it clutters up my dashboard and annoys me every time I look at it. And will probably end up costing me money to repair it before I can sell it for a decent price.

My former opinion that buyers should pretty much avoid nav options is changed forever - RUN, DO NOT WALK, AWAY FROM ANY VEHICLE WITH A FACTORY NAV SYSTEM EVEN IF IT'S FREE!

I'm glad to have gotten the lesson cheap... :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
where did you come up with $4000? that's not right for NAV alone.

My wife also complains about the street name omissions - seems like always the one you seek or travel does not show at the zoom level you need.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The only thing I would disagree with is the cost you quoted. It was less than $2,000 on the invoice.

I was undecided if I really wanted the integrated NAV when we bought way back when. I found the big backup cam, better menu for audio controls, and the integrated XM radio closed the deal for me. I bought a Pathfinder earlier this year and it came with the big screen backup cam, XM, etc. and didn't require the NAV to get it so I passed. I suppose Honda sells more with those few extra features. Reality is today..you barely need NAV. My droid tends to get more use than either the OEM or my Garmin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant the price of both the nav and the rear entertainment. List on the two is nearly $4k, and then there's tax...

FWIW, the RES seems to work well, I just think they are somewhere between silly and horrifying. Six kids and not a one ever needed a movie to entertain him/her while we were driving somewhere, even on long trips.

The most horrifying commercial I ever saw was the original campaign for the Nissan Armada - a whole family driving through Bryce Canyon/Painted Desert landscapes... while the kids watched BMX videos. *shudder*

Reality is today..you barely need NAV.
If you could get the features and quality of a good Garmin combined with the convenience and safety of having it integrated, it would be an excellent thing to have. I have GPS'es and GPS/nav phones, and they're very useful, but the awkward mounting and clumsy controls (when used by a driver) make them less than optimal. Given how much makers charge for nav systems, you'd think they could "get it right"!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts