Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am presently waiting for an EX-L and was toying with the idea of getting the NAV model. My question is this, if I get the NAV option, I lose the in dash CD player, right. Which means that I would have to also order the CD changer option in order to play CD's as well as cassettes?? It just makes the NAV decision that much more expensive if true.

·
Registered
354 Posts
With the EX-L or EX-L-NAV, you will get AM,FM,CD. With NAV you will lose the space where you could put a cassette player or an in-dash CD changer. You can still put a changer under the driver's seat. It's really the possibility of adding the cassette that you would be giving up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobf58:
With the EX-L or EX-L-NAV, you will get AM,FM,CD. With NAV you will lose the space where you could put a cassette player or an in-dash CD changer. You can still put a changer under the driver's seat. It's really the possibility of adding the cassette that you would be giving up.</font>
Thanks for the reply. I guess was a little confused, but I think the issue still remains. If I get the NAV, I get the in-dash AM/FM CD player, but no cassette, right? So in order to get cassette AND CD capability, I replace in-dash CD unit with the optional AM/FM cassette unit, then buy the optional CD changer, too. So in addition to cost of NAV, I will have to include4 cost of in-dash cassette and CD changer. Did I get this right?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes - you are right. If you buy the Radio/Cassette head unit (sames as in the LX) and then buy the under-seat CD changer you will have what you want - alhough I don't think you will then be able to use the steering-wheel mounted controls for volume and channel control, as the LX does not have these.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

[This message has been edited by pearsonrj (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by pearsonrj:
Yes - you are right. If you buy the Radio/Cassette head unit (sames as in the LX) and then buy the under-seat CD changer you will have what you want - alhough I don't think you will then be able to use the steering-wheel mounted controls for volume and channel control, as the LX does not have these.

Boy, my idea to get the NAV model is really circling the drain, now. My wife uses her cassette player all the time. So if I want the NAV and cassette and CD, means getting the LX's in-dash unit (is this a step down?), removing the existing in-dash CD player (what do I do with this?) and then pay for CD changer.

UPDATE: While writing this reply I got a call from Honda dealer where I am waiting for my Odyssey. SHe looked into it and said you CANNOT get a cassette with NAV option and that you can't even order the CD changer if you have the NAV. I guess I'm getting the EX-L.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
Originally posted by pearsonrj:

Boy, my idea to get the NAV model is really circling the drain, now. My wife uses her cassette player all the time. So if I want the NAV and cassette and CD, means getting the LX's in-dash unit (is this a step down?), removing the existing in-dash CD player (what do I do with this?) and then pay for CD changer.

UPDATE: While writing this reply I got a call from Honda dealer where I am waiting for my Odyssey. SHe looked into it and said you CANNOT get a cassette with NAV option and that you can't even order the CD changer if you have the NAV. I guess I'm getting the EX-L.
</font>

The LX AM/FM/Casette does not work with the EX steering wheel controls (as another forum member learned the hard way), so you would lose that capability as well. FYI.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console
Foglights
Tranny Cooler

Coming up: In dash 6 CD Changer
Glove Box Light
Kelton Sub
Honda wood/leather steering wheel

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank everyone for their help. This site has been extremely helpful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just to make sure the dealer is not confusing you - she IS saying exactly what has been posted on this thread - i.e. that you CANNOT install the in-dash cassette player on an EX-L NAVI (but you CAN install the Radio/cassette head unit from an LX if you can live without the steering wheel controls), and you CANNOT buy/install the IN-DASH CD changer, but you CAN install the under-seat CD changer on an EX-L NAVI.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
But when you install the under-seat CD changer in a NAV, you lose the ability to add the subwoofer.

The NAV system takes up space not only in your dash for the display but also under your passenger seat for the control unit. So the choices for the EX are:

NAV with stock CD, add CD changer, no subwoofer, all steering wheel controls work. No cassette.

NAV, remove stock head unit, put in LX cassette unit, add CD changer, no subwoofer, steering wheel controls don't work, spend a bunch of money.

No NAV, do whatever you want. Comes with CD; add cassette, fine. Add CD changer, fine. Add subwoofer, fine. Add CD changer and subwoofer, fine (CD under passenger seat, subwoofer under driver's seat). And all steering wheel controls work.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I can't believe how a simple thing like adding NAV can be so complicated. I am waiting for an EX-L with cassette player (and thinking about the sub woofer,too) when I decide to investigate the NAV option. Then all heck breaks loose--- the cassette player is not possible unless I get LX unit, but then the steering controls won't work, plus I still don't know if the LX unit is comprable to EX unit in quality (I assume not). Then the possibility that voice navigation may not work with LX unit. It's crazy that to move-up in trim level requires that you give-up other amenities. This is all caused for wanting to have a cassette player with the NAV.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would strongly suggest that unless you absolutely MUST have the fully-integrated NAV option, that you get the standard EX-L, add the audio options you want, then buy an aftermarket GPS unit such as Garmin make, that will mount on your dash and can be moved from one vehicle to another. Obviously not as good as the Honda NAV but significantly cheaper. For the $2000 you will pay for the Honda NAV, you can get the in-dash cassette, subwoofer, under-seat CD changer AND an aftermarket GPS unit with cash to spare AND you wouldn't pay sales tax on those items if you buy them over the Internet.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
I would strongly suggest that unless you absolutely MUST have the fully-integrated NAV option, that you get the standard EX-L, add the audio options you want, then buy an aftermarket GPS unit such as Garmin make, that will mount on your dash and can be moved from one vehicle to another. Obviously not as good as the Honda NAV but significantly cheaper. For the $2000 you will pay for the Honda NAV, you can get the in-dash cassette, subwoofer, under-seat CD changer AND an aftermarket GPS unit with cash to spare AND you wouldn't pay sales tax on those items if you buy them over the Internet.
</font>
I looked into the Garmin and heard comments from this site that said although it is an excellent product, it is not as good as NAV. Issues were rate of redraw, sluggish response, having to buy more memory and maps etc. I did like the idea that it could be used in both cars, but also didn't like the idea of having to mount on dash and run wires for power and attenna. I guess after all the problems I would have with a NAV, someone is trying to tell me that I don't "need" the NAV. However, I cannot say enough about how helpful this site and its members have been. Thanks again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
With the NAV, in order to keep the map DVD up to date, you will need to purchase the yearly update, which I believe costs $150 or so...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L

·
1,484 Posts
Here are some of my ideas of getting a cassette in a Ody w/ NAVI.

- Use existing headunit and buy add-on Honda cassette player. Only trick is finding a place to mount it...maybe in the glove box, dash cupholders, or custom build a mounting bracket and place it under the driver's seat.

- With the stock headunit maybe get a portable cassette walkman with a mini-plug to RCA adapter cord and plug it into either a RF Modulator or a this: http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catalog/blitz_interfaces/blitz_interface_list/blitz_dvd/body_blitz_dvd.html . These are some ways of getting auxiliary sound through the stock stereo system.

- Now let's say if you were to change out the headunit with an aftermarket brand you would have to do the following:

1) Retain NAVI voice - get a headunit that has an auxiliary input. Only problem is you have to switch it manually from Cassette/Radio to the NAVI Voice. Or you could get an automatic switching device that Sony makes. But this needs to be plugged into an external amp. So you would need to install an amp too.

2) Retain Steering controls - if your headunit has a wireless Infrared remote you could get a Steering Wheel Interface Adapter:
http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-cNvs2TjGnHT/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=751&I=127SWIX&o=&a= . Or if you can get an old Sony that uses the wired rotary remote you could get it to work by changing out some of the resistors in the steering wheel controls.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts