Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for an 2002 with navigation, but have a question. I've heard rumors that the navigation screen does not allow you to make changes while vehicle is moving. Is this true? I can understand the safety concern, but that sure is a hassle if I have to pull off the highway to input changes. Please let me know asap since it will probably impact my decison whether to get NAV option. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You are getting bad info. YOu can make changes to the NAVI screen in route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't heard that one. I've always played with my Dad's system while he's driving. One caution is that the system doesn't like back roads... once you take a "short cut" the system will be constantly giving you hints about how to get back to the main road ;-)

tg.

------------------
2002 SS EX-L
1998 VW Jetta TDi

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad to hear that. I read a post on the Edmunds site that mentions something like that and a friend said the BMW navigation locks-out input while you are driving. It really defeats the purpose of having the NAV if I need to pull over to use it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Honda/Acura NAVI rocks. Sure there are PC-based or hand-based units with more features; but for an in-car installed unit; you can't beat this from these standpoints:

- ease of use (great UI)
- input (touchscreen is just geeky-cool)
- reliability (never lost the GPS signal yet)
- convience/depth of info (yeah, we have to wait until next year, but one DVD will hold the whole US when it comes out)
- integration (radio volume lowering when voice comes on just on front speakers, turn-by-turn direction (w/ pic-in-pic), the fact it remembers you're on a trip and makes that the first screen when you turn the key back on after stopping for gas, etc.)

In short I love my NAVI! My biggest gripe is the poor timing of the Navtech annoucement of the full US detailed coverage coming within a couple of weeks of the release of the '02 DVD by Honda).

Oh, and the lack of 'breadcrumbs' feature for the Honda.

Viva Las Navi!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Honda/Acura NAVI rocks. Sure there are PC-based or hand-based units with more features; but for an in-car installed unit; you can't beat this from these standpoints:

- ease of use (great UI)
- input (touchscreen is just geeky-cool)
- reliability (never lost the GPS signal yet)
- convience/depth of info (yeah, we have to wait until next year, but one DVD will hold the whole US when it comes out)
- integration (radio volume lowering when voice comes on just on front speakers, turn-by-turn direction (w/ pic-in-pic), the fact it remembers you're on a trip and makes that the first screen when you turn the key back on after stopping for gas, etc.)

In short I love my NAVI! My biggest gripe is the poor timing of the Navtech annoucement of the full US detailed coverage coming within a couple of weeks of the release of the '02 DVD by Honda).

Oh, and the lack of 'breadcrumbs' feature for the Honda.

Viva Las Navi!
</font>
Sounds great, just what I wanted to hear about the NAV. Tell me more about the "whole US DVD". I thought it already covered the entire US. If there is a difference will I be getting the latest DVD if I receive my vehicle in the next month or so? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ditto everything Marvyn said about the navi! In addition, you can find any type of restaurant you'd like (sorted by type of cuisine) in unfamiliar territory. Great fun looking for new restaurants when on road trips! We thought we'd like the nav system before we bought our van, but we like it much more than we dared thought. Kind of like going from dial-up internet access to cable modem - I can't imagine ever going back.

·
1,484 Posts
Well I'm happy report that my 'recently reborn' NAVI worked like a charm last weekend. I had to find this place in Napa and I wasn't too familiar with the area. Plus it was raining.
But the NAVI got me there and back in one piece - and with plenty of time to spare too!

Although, I think it's time for me to upgrade. I'm still on version 1.9 or something. Bascially to sum it up...the NAVI rocks!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

H

·
0 Posts
>> Tell me more about the "whole US DVD". I thought it already covered the entire US.

It does cover the entire US, but some areas have more details than others. All major metropolitan areas are covers in great details.

>> you can find any type of restaurant you'd like (sorted by type of cuisine) in unfamiliar territory.

We were up in North Lake Tahoe last week. At about 11:45 am, my 6 yr old son decided that he wanted pizza for lunch. 10 minutes later, we were waiting in a pizza restaurant (it was the second one because the first Italian restaurant was closed that day).

I do wish that I knew how the NAVI picks a particular route or that it had a bit more intelligence, however. Sometimes it takes me several tries (using "Avoid a road" feature) to get the best route.

-- Hoa

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
My biggest gripe is the poor timing of the Navtech annoucement of the full US detailed coverage coming within a couple of weeks of the release of the '02 DVD by Honda).
</font>
I apologize that I don't understand, but do you mean that the 2002 DVD is much more detailed than the 2001?

·
Registered
368 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
I apologize that I don't understand, but do you mean that the 2002 DVD is much more detailed than the 2001?</font>
Each new DVD version has increasingly more detailed maps of more and more cities. If you live in a major metro area, chances are you already have pretty detailed coverage. Each new version would also include (I assume), new streets that are added to new subdivisions, etc. for the existing cities with detailed coverage.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Zaino'd

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
Each new DVD version has increasingly more detailed maps of more and more cities. If you live in a major metro area, chances are you already have pretty detailed coverage. Each new version would also include (I assume), new streets that are added to new subdivisions, etc. for the existing cities with detailed coverage.

</font>
So if I get a 2002 NAv, does that mean I get the latest DVD? nyvram said announcement is coming in a few weeks so I assume I would have to buy the latest since it is too new to be included on a NAv in the next month or so?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get back to the forums:

Here's the deal; Navtech (navtech.com) handles the DB, Alpine handles the GPS, Honda/Acura handles the UI (gas station icons & Honda icons, etc) and I'm not sure who manufacturers the touchscreen.

Ok, not all of US is detailed coverage (check Honda's site under "NAVI" for current list of detailed cities). If you don't live in a detailed area (luckily, Nashville is one) the NAVI is not really worth the money IMO unless you do alot of travelling.

'detailed' means *all* the roads; not just major thoroughfares & hwys. My home address is in the DB along w/ anyone else's address (commercial or private residence) in Nashville in a fairly up-to-date listing.

Now, navtech issued a press release within weeks of Honda's 2002 DVD release (it comes out once a year at a cost of $150 for you to upgrade) saying they had gone in and aggresively mapped the whole US and there was some temporary confusion as this detailed info on all the detailed cities was ACTUALLY on Honda's site implying the 02 DVD did have all these cities, town, etc in detail.

However, as the first 02 owners picked up their Odys, this turned out NOT to be the case & shortly after, this detailed listing (about 20 pages long w/ 100 cities per page) disappeared from Honda's site in lieu of the 'US map' which just shows the handful of cities in each state that is in detail.

Sooooo, speculation has followed that Honda should DEFINITELY have the whole US in the 03 (Aug?) DVD release. There, however, is no 'official' word to this effect.

Please feel free to contact Alpine, Honda and Navtech (I have done so without much progress) to find out for sure if this is true.

PS...its not worth paying the $150 for the upgrade IMO *until* the whole US was detailed.

Does this answer everything? I know I"m rambling on so....

·
Registered
255 Posts
So if I get a 2002 NAv, does that mean I get the latest DVD? nyvram said announcement is coming in a few weeks so I assume I would have to buy the latest since it is too new to be included on a NAv in the next month or so?</font>
I believe all Odys are shipped now with Ver. 2.05 of the navigation DVD. The new versions are release in late summer/early fall, so it will be another 8 or 9 months before the new one is released. Go to http://www.hondacars.com/models/odyssey/index.html?honda=intro and click on "Order Nav System DVDs" on the drop-down menu to check the version currently available.

As johnk. said, the new versions will contain new streets; highways; etc., in addition to a complete update of phone number info. for businesses; types of businesses; etc. Navigation Technologies, the company that creates the database from which the nav unit operates, announced last fall that they completed digitizing the entire continental U.S. - so that should appear on the next DVD update for Honda's units.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I have not been able to see the navigation in operation I was curious of it's operation. I assume I enter an address via the touch screen, but do you enter city & state, or just zip code, or either one? How long after entering until it has found a route? Can you set preferences for fastest, most direct, or avoiding certain roads? When you look up food places, it lists closest places first and then you just select to have it generate route? I've seen other non-Honda nav systems, but was curious how the Honda system works. It's hard to find an Odyssey to test drive, let alone one with nav. Besides, I'm sure the salesman wouldn't know how to use it anyway. It amazes me how little car slsmen know about their products. I guess that happens when you change dealerships every few weeks or months. I'm still waiting to get a business card with the guy's name printed on it instead of written with a pen after the fact. I'm sorry, was I venting there? :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Since I have not been able to see the navigation in operation I was curious of it's operation. I assume I enter an address via the touch screen, but do you enter city & state, or just zip code, or either one? </font>
Yes, generally you select a state (this step is generally necessary only once, as it remembers what you selected), then road name (this is pretty cool; keyboard filters letters you can type based on the word you're typing and fills in the whole thing when you get close enough that there are only a couple of matches) then finally the actual adress number--and it won't let you put in non-valid numbers so you can use this to double-check your street #. ...or if its a business; bypass the whole process and just type in their phone number!

How long after entering until it has found a route?</font>
Depends upon distance and complexity of route; to find a route to Monroe, LA from Nashville, TN (550 miles) it takes about 8-10 seconds. For in-town routes; more like 3-4 (if that). This also depends on...

Can you set preferences for fastest, most direct, or avoiding certain roads?</font>
..this factor.
You only have 2 choices at start: 'direct' and 'easy'. Direct will take you there on by-roads if they're in a more direct line to your destination while 'easy' generally keeps you on the interstate.

At this point you can review the whole trip and make corrections as necessay (click on a certain 'leg' of the journey and say 'detour' or 'avoid road' if you know these particular legs of the journey won't work..it'll reroute the rest of the route as well as you do this!)

When you look up food places, it lists closest places first and then you just select to have it generate route?
</font>
Yup, pretty much. You got a ton of ways to look up food; by type/category of food, distance, name and a couple of others if I'm not mistaken. You can also 'cruise' around the map w/ the joystick and click on any food icons you see (blue square w/ fork & knife) to see what it is and then make that your destination.

Also, I forgot to mention that there's not really a good legend to the colored areas of the map; there are a few things that you'll have to learn on your own; like which icon represents a school, etc. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but there are about 5-10 that aren't detailed in the manual that you will eventually 'figure out' based on what you know is there in real life.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 01-09-2002).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Have I mentioned that I love my NAVI lately?

·
Registered
585 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Although, I think it's time for me to upgrade. I'm still on version 1.9 or something. Bascially to sum it up...the NAVI rocks!
</font>
Nestor, if you don't want to spend the $150 and don't mind waiting; you can have my 2001 version for free.

(well, not really 'free' since technically you've provided me information on this forum that helped me to be a more informed Ody buyer/owner/modder that is worth far more than a measly $150) ;-)

H

·
0 Posts
>> I assume I enter an address via the touch screen, but do you enter city & state, or just zip code, or either one?

You enter state, city, street name, and then number, in that order, which makes perfect sense (narrowing the selection). You can enter in a different order but it'll take more time.

One nice thing about the address entry part is that the touch screen grays out the invalid selections. For example, if the city has no street name starting with a "sw", after you enter the "s", letter "w" will be grayed out.

Each selection has a "list" button. You can hit it anytime during the selection process to get a valid list.

It doesn't know anything about zip code.

>> How long after entering until it has found a route?

Depending on the distance, from 5 to 20 seconds.

>> Can you set preferences for fastest, most direct, or avoiding certain roads?

You can set the default to be "Easy route," "Direct route," "Minimize toll roads," or "Minimize freeways." The setting stays until you choose another setting.

It has the feature to "Avoid a road" (actually many roads if you so choose). This is on the "case by case" basis. You have to allow it to pick a route, and then select the roads you want to avoid from the list.

>> When you look up food places, it lists closest places first and then you just select to have it generate route?

It gives you several choices, including "Based on distance" and "In the vicinity."

>> Besides, I'm sure the salesman wouldn't know how to use it anyway. It amazes me how little car slsmen know about their products.

That's correct. I don't expect any salesmen to know much about the products they sell (that's why they can lie with a straight face).

>> I guess that happens when you change dealerships every few weeks or months.

It's a thankless job. The turnover rate is extremely high. The pay is not great either.

Don't expect the NAVI being able to find the best route. I found that it may takes several times of using the "Avoid a road" feature to find the best one. But no doubt it will take to there in any case.

-- Hoa

------------------
GG 2002 EX-L-NAVI

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nyvram,
THANKS for all the details! Now I really can't wait to get my NAV. One last question, is this something my wife can use without me looking over her shoulder?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts