Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks. I'm trying to figure out my newest and hopefully simplest modification. Maybe some of you can help me out with this. I basically want the NAVI and my SONY reciever to work like the OEM setup do. Meaning, the NAVI and the radio have seperate volume controls. Now I know Steve (VideoNAVI) has his setup where the NAVI's sound goes through the radio. Not exactly what I want - but is a definite alternative.

Now what I figure is I have to directly tap the NAVI sounds to the front L/R speakers. And at the same time I need to send a "mute" signal to the radio. Well at least mute the front speakers. But the thing is I'm not sure if my radio has a mute. Unless, instead of muting it - the NAVI signal just blocks or interrupts any signals coming from the radio. Looks like this would need a relay for this kind of setup. Any ideas?

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
276 Posts
MDX-C7900 should have attenuate input for cellphone, check your manual or the back of your headunit and see if there are unconnected wires coming out of the unit. If there are, hook up a multimeter and see if it shows +12volt. If it is, that's NOT what you want, it would be antenna/amplifier turn-on. If it doesn't show any voltage, connect it to ground and see if the volume drops, if it does then you've found the attenuate input. You need to do what Steve did to reverse the positive mute signal from the Navi unit into negative.

For sound, you can probably use a small self amplified speaker for computer mounted under the dash and a DC-DC converter for the power.

Steve might be able to give you a better solution for the Navi sound.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my Sony MDX-C7900 is some what of an older model. Nothing like the new Xplod range. There are no cell phone wires (at least from what I can see) and there is no mute button. So I think I might have to toss that idea out. I might have to do the direct approach and put a relay inbetween the Navi and the speakers. Hmmm...

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really?!? I didn't know that. I remember there's was a button on the wired remote called ATT. Never new what it was used for before. Plus it doesn't help that I lost the manual.

Harry, could explain what this function does? Does it act as a mute for cell phones? What am I actually looking for in the back of my Sony? You said something about dangling wires, right? I don't really follow?

Thanks for the info so far,
-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll try to give you some input until Harry gets back. I'm not sure what color wire Sony uses but I've seen some manufacturers use pink as the phone ATT or mute. This wire is usually connected to a wire from a hands free system. Some systems have an output wire that sends a signal to the radio as soon as you get a call or use the phone. The radio will automatically mute so you could hear your caller. I'm guessing that the ATT wire would work off of a (+)positive signal but I'm not sure. You can test it by grounding it first to see if a (-)ground might work to see if I may be wrong. Try finding a manual from another Sony to see what it says. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It doesn't mute the sound completely, but it does lowers it considerably.
Your headunit is connected to the Odyssey wire harness using a harness kit because of the difference connectors used. Since Odyssey doesn't have motorized antenna or telephone built-in, 2 of the wires from the headunit won't be connected to the Odyssey harness. Those are the 2 wires that needed to be tested.
Toyman may have access to the wire schematic of your headunit, I couldn't find any on the net.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
It doesn't mute the sound completely, but it does lowers it considerably.
Your headunit is connected to the Odyssey wire harness using a harness kit because of the difference connectors used. Since Odyssey doesn't have motorized antenna or telephone built-in, 2 of the wires from the headunit won't be connected to the Odyssey harness. Those are the 2 wires that needed to be tested.

-Harry
</font>
Oh this is looking good. Real good! I just found a site with the info on the SONY wires: http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/caraudio.shtml#s1 . So I guess I have to tap the Lt. Blue wire to the NAVI sounds, right?

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nemogira,
I don't have Navi so I don't know what kind of audio outputs it has, bare wires or rca jacks. The light blue wire of the Sony needs to be connected to a single output wire from the Navi. I'm not sure if an audio out from the Navi will do the job but you can try.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rook:
Nemogira,
I don't have Navi so I don't know what kind of audio outputs it has, bare wires or rca jacks. The light blue wire of the Sony needs to be connected to a single output wire from the Navi. I'm not sure if an audio out from the Navi will do the job but you can try.
</font>
Will do. Tonight I'll try that and several other theories I have. I tell you all how it goes. If anyone still has any more ideas - please feel free to post them.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hold it! Check Steve's post on Video on Navi. According to Steve, the Navi put out + mute signal and most headunit requires - signal so you would need to reverse the signal. There is a phone number for customer service on the website that you found, you can call them to ask whether the telephone attenuate requires + or - signal or you can test them yourself.

-Harry

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you apply ground to the antenna or amplifier remote turn on it'll fry the circuit. If you apply + to - telephone att. input for a short time, it'll probably be fine. But when in doubt, it is best to use multimeter to test unknown wires.

-Harry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Harry is right. Do a little more research to find out the proper polarity. You could burn a circuit if the wrong wire is connected and that would lead to more problems with the radio. Plus, I'd feel bad if you smoked your radio because of something I said.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You guys have this right, with a few corrections and a suggestion.

1. The factory wire harness will have 4 wires that don't connect to a after market wire harness adapter. 2 of them are for navi left and right voice. The other wire is for the navi mute that will go +12V when navi is speaking and one is for your steerng wheel buttons (can be made to work too). The suggestion is if you hook up to your mute wire reversing the polarity use a Radio Shack 12v reed relay. A reed relay won't 'click' everytime the navi speaks.

Here's another solution for non-cell phone mute headunit. I haven't tested this, unlike the above solution but, it should work just fine. To use a headunit that doesn't have a mute lead and amplifier combination you can still switch your front channel amplifier to get the navi voice using a Peripheral SS2P switcher. http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/audio_switchers.htm
The +12V mute line can switch the front amp over to the navi left and right.

2. While your hooking up your stereo to mute or att when navi speaks you can also add a cell phone mute device. I'm using a Pioneer CD-CM1 cell phone mute deivce.

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve,

This is what we have so far for the mute. The reed relay has three connections on the left side. We connected it to the middle connector. What are the other two for?

-nemogira

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Below is the wiring diagram for the Odys stereo system. We basically tried to imitate how the connection is layed out on the diagram. No such luck using it on the SONY. We think the original Honda radio does some kind of special processing on the NAVI sounds. Who knows? Really though...who knows? Anybody?

Well, one alternative is do it how Steve has his. The NAVI sounds output directly to the radio. Another idea is to maybe have a small speaker hooked up to the NAVI wires. We'll see. I just thought I'd show you guys this just in case if anyone comes up with something.

http://nemogira.com/odyssey/radnav.jpg

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
92 Posts
Look at the schematic on the back of the reed relay package and follow these instructions.

1. On the end of the reed relay with 3 pins push the middle pin together with a coil pin (side pin). Solder a single black wire to this point and attach the other end of this wire to your ground wire on the factory wire harness.
2. The other coil pin on this relay attaches to the +12V mute wire (white/black) from your factory wire harness. ** see note below **
3. Solder a wire from the single pin (opposite end) of the relay and connect it to the cell phone mute wire on your new stereo.

Note: To prevent reverse current across the coil, I'd recommend adding a 1N4001 diode. It's placed across the coil with silver band to the +12V mute side.

Hope this helps,
Steve

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 06-10-2001).]

1 - 20 of 57 Posts