Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Microsoft's MapPoint (beta) on my computer. The *entire* United States covered in *full* detail. Every street is listed, even rural roads. It is even complete with GPS coordinates. And it installed to my hard disk from two CD-ROMs.

Now, the Odyssey NAVI has a DVD-ROM which can store a ton more data than two CD-ROMs.

If MapPoint can put every street on two CD's, why can't Honda (Alpine) put every street (and then some) on a single DVD?

I love my EX-NAVI. My wife and I use it all the time. But it's frustrating sometimes when we travel to an area without high detail coverage.

C'mon Honda!! The data is out there! Get your act together and give us detailed coverage of the entire USA!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blue-Crab:
I just installed Microsoft's MapPoint (beta) on my computer. The *entire* United States covered in *full* detail. Every street is listed, even rural roads. It is even complete with GPS coordinates. And it installed to my hard disk from two CD-ROMs.

Now, the Odyssey NAVI has a DVD-ROM which can store a ton more data than two CD-ROMs.

If MapPoint can put every street on two CD's, why can't Honda (Alpine) put every street (and then some) on a single DVD?

C'mon Honda!! The data is out there! Get your act together and give us detailed coverage of the entire USA!!

</font>
I agree! I use Street Atlas 7.0 on my laptop; it contains the *entire* continental U.S., in street-level detail, on one CD-ROM! I've used it in many states, it's very convenient to have along. We're getting the EX with navigation, from all I've read and heard it's great (voice prompts; etc.), but obviously the technology is there to put street-level detail of the whole country on one DVD. Why won't they??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't forget that the Honda DVD also includes cross-referenced business names and phone numbers for the entire country. That's gotta take more space.

I've noticed some omitted information too, but overall I've been amazed at the LA coverage. I've had a few occasions where I happened to know only the phone number of where I wanted to go (a restaraunt) - punched in the number and bingo, the navi did the rest. More often I use the phone number cross-reference as a phone book though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I recently emailed Navigation Technologies http://www.navtech.com/vehicle/enduser_na.html to ask about their timetable for developing street-level detail of the entire U.S. on one DVD. Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting us and visiting our website.

We have recently completed detailing Tulsa, OK. We are currently in an
aggressive campaign to have full coverage for the US. You will need to
contact Alpine directly, as to when it will be available for your navigation
system.

Navigation Technologies
Customer Contact Center

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]****** [mailto:[email protected]*****]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 9:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Feed Back

Name: David *****
E-mail Address: [email protected]*****
Phone: ***-***-****
Company:
Vehicle Make: Honda
Vehicle Model: Odyssey 2001
System Brand: Alpine
Comments: I live in Tulsa, OK, and though I think the Alpine DVD system is
great, Tulsa is not covered. When will the entire continental U.S. be
available in street-level detail on one DVD? Thanks.

I'll contact Alpine also and let you know their response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts