Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New poster here... I have a question for Navi owners (and those who decided against it)... how useful is it? Do you use it more or less than you thought you would? Would you buy it again? Is it worth it? Those that didn't buy... do you regret not buying? Why did you not buy?

All... what about resale?

·
Registered
153 Posts
We have been very pleased with the Navi and find it more useful than we expected it to be. Although my opinion may be somewhat skewed because I am very much a 'gadget' person, this is also the opinion of my wife (who possesses only minimal ability in operating our home entertainment system).

An important factor in considering it is finding out whether the system has detailed coverage in your area. I live in LA and I have been very impressed with the information (cross-referenced business names and phone numbers). Of course, even if detailed coverage is not presently available for your area an update may include it if you are willing to wait.

You should also think about the kind of driving that you do. Always to the same places - not much value in a navigation unit. Like to travel or have a job that has you going to new addresses every day (e.g. a realtor) - navi is a must.

You can find other related threads on this subject under the Audion, Video, Security and Navigation heading.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wish I had the choice to choose a Navi back in 1999.

I heard that Nemogira is modifying his Ex-nonNavi into a Navi!!!! I cant wait to hear from him!!!!

------------------
abyez
'99 GG EX

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Every navigation owner I've talked to absolutely love their NAVI. They've said things like:

- They will never buy another vehicle w/o one ever again!
- It has always come in handy.
- Since I'm buying a nearly $30,000 vehicle - whats 2000 more bucks gonna hurt!
- It's currently the best mobile navigation system out there. Being a DVD - its the most quickest.
- Able to search the nearest restuarants, hotels, parks, etc.
- Now able to receive a video signal(thanks to Steve aka VideoNavi).
- It will ONLY add the to the resale value.

Those are just a few of the many reasons to get a NAVI. Go ahead and spoil yourself and get a NAVI now, the easy way! Unlike me...I'm getting a NAVI the hard way.

abyez, I'm current halfway done with the installation and instructions. Its going pretty smoothly, so far. But boy...it's been pretty challenging!

-nemogira

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nemogira,
I'm glad to hear that your project is smooth going. Please update us about it if you have time and let us know if the final product works.

I may also want to follow your "footsteps" in converting my Non-Navi into a Navi.
If the project takes up alot of energy, I may not do it at all.

Well, let me wish you HAPPY MOD-ing

------------------
abyez
'99 GG EX

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I live in a detailed coverage area, am often going places within the area that I'm not familiar, and often travel to other places (also in a detailed coverage area). I also had the good luck to test drive an Ody with Navi and both my wife and I found it very easy and intuitive to use. I think we're going to get one, probably pick it up end of next week... I can't wait! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nemogira... I saw your mad mods in an attempt to "navify" your ody... so I think I'm definitely glad I'm doing it up front!

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
Nemogira... I saw your mad mods in an attempt to "navify" your ody... so I think I'm definitely glad I'm doing it up front!</font>
Smart Man!!! But I guess that's pretty obvious...you DID buy an Odyssey.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey nemogirai was wondering how did you get your pic of your ody onnyour signature?

------------------
*~ BaSsNeT42 ~*
*~ 01'OdY. ~*
*~ Tw-Ex ~*

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey nemogirai was wondering how did you get your pic of your ody onnyour signature?

------------------
*~ BaSsNeT42 ~*
*~ 01'OdY. ~*
*~ Tw-Ex ~*

·
1,484 Posts
Well it's not an actually photo of my Odyssey. Just a representation. It's actually the same pic used in the Canyon Stone Silver layout for this site. I just super-imposed my wheels and lower it a bit because I will eventually lower mine once the springs are in.

-nemogira

P.S. What's up with the double postings???

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry about that i dont know what happenend but the question that i was really asking was how did you get the pic at the bottom at where your signature is?

------------------
*~ BaSsNeT42 ~*
*~ 01'OdY. ~*
*~ Tw-Ex ~*

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like my Navi so much, I got my wife an 01 Ody Navi so I could use my own Acura TL Navi back again. Since we have both the Acura and Honda Navi systems, I can say that they are virtually the same systems based on the Alpine GPS. Acura has the Acura branding and Acura dealers in the car service maps and the Honda has the Honda branding and Honda dealers on the maps.

Now $2K is a bit more to pay on top of the premium for the cars, and the resale of Navi systems is only $400 over non-Navi Ody (I checked in March just before we picked up our new Ody which was on backorder). But look at the alternatives, 1) you have to use paper maps, 2) you pay more and get a goose neck smaller screen GPS that is not integrated into the dash and sound system, or 3) you simply drive w/o assistance from the real time map - so you don't know short cuts around traffic jams, etc. I've used the Navi to avoid cul-de-sacs and take side streets around traffic jams and with the Navi continues to work with you until you get to the final destination, you never have to stop to ask for directions.

So its a neat gadget that will save you time and be useful for years to come. Granted, I expect nicer, faster GPS systems in the future, but the Acura/Honda system is relatively easy to use today. I like it better than the 2000 BMW GPS and it responds faster.

If you really want to lust, check out the new Acura MDX Navi. It offers a new feature called bread crumbs to allow you to track a trail off road and then trace the route back again. This would be helpful for all those "unmarked" roads not in the database and in all those small cities that aren't in the database as well. For the future, I'd like to see the integrated Trip computer as well. [BMW trip computer will direct the Navi to the nearest gas station automatically]. But for today, the Ody is the only minivan with a Navi. We intent to use it daily as well as on trips around the 48 states.

So if you agree with me on the features and value, then buy an Ody w/ Navi for your convenience and abuse it on the shortcuts etc. Don't buy it for resale, since you can't sell the Navi and get your money back. We plan to keep ours for awhile, and the built in screen in the dash is the best way to go.

------------------
2001 Ody EX Navi GG + Infinity speakers, trailer hitch
2000 Acura TL Navi Gold + Comptech sway bars, metallic tints

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am really getting envious of all of you, Navi-owners!!!!!!

Arrgghhh...

Sob, sob..just reading VTEClover's review makes me drool already

------------------

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bassnet42:
sorry about that i dont know what happenend but the question that i was really asking was how did you get the pic at the bottom at where your signature is?

</font>
Look through this: http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/faq.html . It should have what you're looking for.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts