Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have the chance to move up a month on the wait list if I take an EX-L Navi instead of my EX-L. I hadn't really considered the option as the MSRP was high enough to begin with - even though I knew it would be a great toy and I'd enjoy it. For those of you who have it, is it more than a toy? Do you get bang for the buck out of it? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you travel alot out of state? if not, don't bother. Save $2000+.....or get the Entertainment System.......

[This message has been edited by odysman (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odysman:
get the Entertainment System.......

</font>
I don't think I can bring myself to pay $1,500 for a TV that I can't watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not a necessity for us, but it's a pretty neat toy to have. We probably wouldn't have gotten NAVI had there been a choice, but we were able to get one off the lot that day so we took it. I think I would like to have NAVI on all my cars in the future, I'm just not sure how much I'd want to pay for it. It's one of those things in a car that you don't have to have (e.g. Homelink, heated seats, etc) but it sure makes the experience that much nicer. If you have kids you might find that they think it's pretty entertaining - ours do. A RES would be cool, but what good is it for the adults in front (i.e., what's in it for me)?

Jim

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think I'd get it again. It has really helped us out a number of times. It even tells you which side of the expressway the exit is on, which I find very useful, especially if in a strange city during rush hour. I even use it locally sometimes when I am going from one part of town to another that I don't usually do, it helps select the best route, even if I don't follow it. Jogs the memory cells.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is especially useful at night, when you are in an unfamiliar town. I find that we are more willing to explore new areas, as all we have to do is to select our preset home locations, and it will lead you right to the nearest freeway. It helps find restaurants in an unfamiliar city. Just by watching the map while you are driving, you might discover a park or a lake that you didn't know existed, just a couple of blocks from where you are. I am in sales and marketing, and I will sometimes borrow my wife's van when I am traveling to an unfamiliar area. Especially in a downtown area with a lot of oneway streets. I have no interest in a RES, as we get enough TV at home, and I would rather have the kids engaged in meaningful discussions on a long trip. Aftermarket units sell for between $1500.00 and $2000.00, and they are not well integrated into the car. But I guess that is why they have both options.

Just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by LHOdy (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
No question - It even did its job right off the dealer lot. I bought the car in San Luis Obispo because I was able to get MSRP as compared to the Bay Area. Our kids happen to go to college their as well. Well anyway after leaving their Cal Poly off campus student housing the traffic made it impossible to go left to get on the main road to the freeway and I had to go right for a mile or so. The nav system immediately took me on back residential streets with no traffic and low and behold I was at the freeway entrance. My wife was following me in the car we took to get there and she thought I just new the roads.

Also, your spouse and you will never have to argue about the map and asking for directions. That's worth a few extras years of your life right there.

The factory system also lowers the radio volume to bark turn instructions at you. I am not sure if aftermarket systems do that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Definitely worth getting the NAV! Just make sure it covers areas that you typically drive in - if it does, it works great!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odysman:
Do you travel alot out of state? </font>
Out of state? I use mine to find where I'm going in my own little town!

Not only would I buy one again, but I've already purchased TWO NAV systems. My Ody would have made it three, if I'd actually gone through with my order. If you're like me (and let's face it - who doesn't want to be like me?) you will use the heck out of the Nav system. If nothing else it gives you something to do on long drives. You can actually learn stuff about the area you're driving through.

One big vote for NAV.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can't find my way around the sidestreets of my own neighborhood. Today I needed the navi twice running errands. I live in the NYC metro area and it works rather well here (though it shows my house on the wrong side of the street).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
I may have the chance to move up a month on the wait list if I take an EX-L Navi instead of my EX-L. I hadn't really considered the option as the MSRP was high enough to begin with - even though I knew it would be a great toy and I'd enjoy it. For those of you who have it, is it more than a toy? Do you get bang for the buck out of it? Thanks.

Dave
</font>

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim - Heated seats not a necessity? Speak for yourself!

LHOdy - Meaningful discussions w/the kids? I can't wait! Mine are 20 months old and while our discussions are important, they aren't terribly scintillating.

zalusky - Argue w/my spouse over directions? I see you've met my wife
I guess $2,000 is cheaper than a divorce.

rondtroy - Glad to hear it works in metro NY. I'm in Westchester Co and if it has 90% of the small roads I would be in heaven.

Thanks to all -
Dave

[This message has been edited by Gettin'AVan (edited 11-15-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's worth it! Prior to Navi, any road trips in the Los Angeles area were very stressful (so many highways and even more cars!). I just dreaded going. Our last trip down there was in the Ody with Navi and the stress level was reduced tremendously. We used the detour feature - it worked great. Also, having the estimated time of arrival was really nice since we had several appointments to make.

Here's an intangible way to look at the cost...how expensive would it be to rear end somebody as you are looking at a paper map? With the Navi, your eyes don't have to leave the road.

My wife can't read maps worth a darn either!

-Erik

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's no way I'd be w/out one in LA. When I used to go there on business I refused to rent a car w/out one even if it meant getting a class that I wasn't "entitled" to. My boss always approved the exception - he understood.

For better or worse, there aren't as many highways in metro NY to choose from. The issue here is what to do when a jam forces you off the Degan - how do you make your way to the Saw Mill?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm glad y'all like your NAV systems and I HOPE y'all keep your eyes on the ROAD and not on that little ol' screen.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure if I'm "eligible" to answers since we don't have Navi, but I've been very pleased with our purchase of gps/navi attachment for our pocket pc. It's not quite as robust as the in-car versions but it talks to you and is very, very good. Plus, I can take it in any car and even on business trips.

I think I'd prefer to have the portable unit over the in-car...

·
Registered
368 Posts
We would reorder any new car with Navi now that we have it. Would not purchase another car without it. Navi will probably be standard equipment in most cars before too long.

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I'm glad y'all like your NAV systems and I HOPE y'all keep your eyes on the ROAD and not on that little ol' screen.

Jerry O.

</font>
Jerry, thanks for that reminder-it is easy to get distracted (at least for me) by it and it does take some discipline to not allow that to happen! In fact, not long after I got my Ody, I was scrolling through the menus while on the fwy in "slow and go" traffic and looked up just in time to avoid rear ending the guy in front of me

I really do know better, just gave in to temptation!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts