Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On July 8 took delivery of our EX-NAVI.
So far, I'm disappointed in the Navigation System. It is lacking in detail! ! For $2,000 I expected detail map information as with $29.95 map programs from Microsoft or Rand McNally, etc. In the manual for the system, they even state, on page 70, "you may then have to ask directions to your final destination". I didn't spend the extra $2,000 to have to stop and ask for directions. I called Alpine to ask if other software could be used. Answer was emphatic "NO". I've written both to Honda and Navigation Technologies about this concern and, in 10 days, have received no reply.
Anyone else with similar concerns and have your concerns been answered or resolved? ?
[email protected]

------------------
BBern

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not to be rude, Gunpowder, but if you'd done your research before plunking down your extra $2K for the navigation system you would have seen quickly that it doesn't have street-level detail for the entire continental U.S. (This information is specifically shown on Honda's web site at www.honda.com.) You can also read all the threads on this site under the "Audio, Video, Security and Navigation" topic about the navigation system highs and lows. Those of us who purchased the navigation system did so (and I presume I'm speaking on others' behalf) for the voice directions and integration with the audio system; superb street level detail in those cities covered (it'll give you directions right down to which lane you need to be in; something Rand McNally doesn't offer); and the availability of upgrades in the future (both to the map database and the software for the system, which is contained on the DVD - another feature I liked).

I have contacted Navigation Technologies about upgrades; here's their response:

Subject:
RE: Feed Back
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 15:01:29 -0500
"Feedback, CallCntr" <[email protected]>
To:
"'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>

Thank you for contacting us and visiting our website.

We have recently completed detailing Tulsa, OK. We are currently in an
aggressive campaign to have full coverage for the US. You will need to
contact Alpine directly, as to when it will be available for your navigation
system.

Navigation Technologies
Customer Contact Center

Upgrades also take longer with this system as developed by Navigation Technologies because they actually digitize photos of the areas to create their databases - hence the ability to recognize lanes in a particular interchange, for example. I think you'll find the navigation system to be very helpful and worth the investment.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 07-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 07-29-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts