Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Navtech Press Release
09/17/2001
NAVIGATION TECHNOLOGIES’ NAVTECH MAP DATA OFFERS NATIONWIDE COVERAGE THROUGHOUT THE CONTINENTAL U.S.

http://www.navtech.com/Press/09-17-2001-116.html

Looks like we may finally get nationwide coverage when ver 2.06 get released in Summer 2002

------------------
2002 RR EX-L NAVI
JVC KD-SH99 CD/MP3
Kicker RS 6.2 & 5.2
Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12"
Rockford 600a4 & Punch 60

·
Registered
82 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by djronh1:
Navtech Press Release
09/17/2001
NAVIGATION TECHNOLOGIES’ NAVTECH MAP DATA OFFERS NATIONWIDE COVERAGE THROUGHOUT THE CONTINENTAL U.S.

Looks like we may finally get nationwide coverage when ver 2.06 get released in Summer 2002

</font>
If you see what Honda said in it:

“This enhancement of the NAVTECH database will allow us to provide even better coverage for the DVD navigation systems we offer in Honda and Acura vehicles,” said Dan Bonawitz, Vice President, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.. “With 100% coverage, our marketing potential greatly increases as does customer satisfaction.”

This sounds great...too bad it was announced 16 days after the release of 2.05.

------------------
2000 CSS Odyssey EX-Navi w/Leather
Sony MDX-C800REC MiniDisc Receiver
Polk 602a (Front)
Polk 402a (Rear)
Alpine powered center(for Navi voice)
Bazooka EL8A-HP Powered Subwoofer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great news!!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was just about to order version 2.05. Knowing now the vast improvement that should come out with the next release, maybe I should hold off.

Does anyone think that collective pressure and phone calls to the NAVI technical support phone number (or Honda Customer Relations) could get them to put out a new release with the new mapping data sooner? Seems that it would benefit them if people would otherwise avoid 2.05 in order to wait for 2.06.

If NAVTECH has supplied their customers with the new data, it's not like Honda doesn't yet have what is needed for a new release.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by djronh1:
Navtech Press Release
09/17/2001

</font>
I read the press release just after I received the 2.05 update. Did you see something that mentioned incorpoarating in 2.06 with a Summer 2002 date? Or is that your guess? I was hoping for much sooner.

------------------
Jim B.

2000 EX Navi
DVP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimblock:
Originally posted by djronh1:
Navtech Press Release
09/17/2001

</font>
I read the press release just after I received the 2.05 update. Did you see something that mentioned incorpoarating in 2.06 with a Summer 2002 date? Or is that your guess? I was hoping for much sooner.

Just my guess. Since Version 2.05 was released at end of summer 2001. And Honda says that they offer ANNUAL updates (no mention of any better frequency).

------------------
2002 RR EX-L NAVI
JVC KD-SH99 CD/MP3
Kicker RS 6.2 & 5.2
Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12"
Rockford 600a4 & Punch 60

·
Registered
585 Posts
With the update being so soon after the 2.05...I wonder if anyone has a # at Honda where they do the software development for the NAVI disks. Maybe if enough grass-root pressue was put on them, they'd release a 'patch' with the new DB. This is a HUGE selling point for Honda & Acura autos so I would think Honda could spring for a few more mass-produced $2 DVDs. I don't think it would involve much more than putting the new db on it..

Hmmm...Nyvram's mind starts to wander; if *we* could get our hands on the navtech db and assuming we can read this DVD in a PC...*and* we had access to a DVD burner....

First stop; a phone call to Alpine!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
With the update being so soon after the 2.05...I wonder if anyone has a # at Honda where they do the software development for the NAVI disks. Maybe if enough grass-root pressue was put on them, they'd release a 'patch' with the new DB. </font>
On page 68 of the 2001 Navi manual it lists the Honda Consumer Affairs phone number as 800-382-2238. When I called that number I found it was for Acura only. (Nice job of writing manuals
) The correct number for Honda Consumer Affairs is 800-999-1009

When I called on this issue they merely took down my question and said that upper levels of management make decisions on issues like this. They also said that Alpine actually manufactures the Navi DVDs. So essentially, a telephone rep took the call and I have no idea what Honda may plan to do.

As an earlier post said, pressure from users on Honda to put out a quicker release of the DVD may help get the upgraded data onto a disk sooner than a year from now. Knowing what I do now, I don't plan to buy 2.05. I don't think there is a sufficient difference over 2.04.

Let's all start calling Honda on this!

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
LOL, I'm already ahead of you buddy.

First one to get some 'real' information gets a free Odyclub mug?

I have calls in to both Alpine as well as Navtech to try & stir up something. I'd love to know we were the cause of getting them to go ahead & relase an updated DVD.

My call to navtech was: Do you know any numbers at Honda that might put us in touch with the guys actually making the decision on this?

My call to Alpine was: Do you sell the DVD separately and if so, will it work with the Honda unit? Do we have to wait for the "HONDA-branded" DVD?

My call to Honda was: Soooo, would you write down my message and pass it along to those "decision-makers"?

Who knows, maybe we'll actually pull this stunt off?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm hoping to hold people's interest in this topic. Has anyone else called Honda to encourage them to incorporate the new map data into a new DVD release sooner than next fall? See the contact phone number below, and please post if you have made a call and their response.

The number for Honda Consumer Affairs is 800-999-1009.

·
Registered
36 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Hmmm...Nyvram's mind starts to wander; if *we* could get our hands on the navtech db and assuming we can read this DVD in a PC...*and* we had access to a DVD burner....
</font>
It just so happens that I have a DVD burner.

I have a navi in my Odyssey and my Acura TLS. I had planned on ordering the 2.05 upgrade for one vehicle and making a copy for the other one. I would like to see if we can get our hands on this 2.06 version.

What have you found out so far?

·
Registered
585 Posts
First, find out if you can read the DVD with your PC. I'd like to see what kind of data is on it; and if there's a big file named "database.mdb' and its like 2 gigabytes big, maybe we can get our hands on it from an alpine unit or something and copy it onto a DVD you can then burn...probably still far-fetched ieda at this point...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts