Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ody owners/drivers,

I am new to this forum. I am not new to Honda as I currently own a 2005 Accord and a 2009 CR-V.

My wife and I have been debating whether we should buy a 2010 Ody and whether we really need one or not. I like the idea of the extra room and comfort the Ody would provide over the CR-V. As parents of one child and owners of a house (read: frequent trips to Lowes & Home Depot), I think the Ody provides the best of all worlds. Road trips, people mover, stuff hauler, etc..

Since the 2011's are coming out soon, I feel this is a real good time to pick a 2010 at a good price. We are probably going to look for an EX-L. We like the EX-L RES/Nav but it's $4000 more and we are not sure it's worth the difference. I can add that later for much, much less.

So...I need opinions and comments, please.

Is the Odyssey a good product? I have read many common complaints regarding VCM, engine mounts, vibrations, road noise and so on. I realize no car is perfect but is the Ody really plagued with so many problems?

Is the Ody decent in snow? My wife is hung up on having AWD or 4WD because she feels more confident in snow/ice conditions. With that said, she never goes to work when it snows anyway because she doesn't like to drive in the bad weather!!!

I have done some research on pricing and I think I should be able to get into an EX-L for under $30,000...plus TTL...but comments are welcome.

Does anyone think that an Ody would be too much vehicle for a one child family?

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to reading your replies and comments. I am looking to make the move within a few days...probably will trade the CR-V in on the Ody.

-Future Ody owner in NJ???

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I guess it depends on how much STUFF you want to haul. It's surely overkill for three people. Likely far safer than the CRV...Ody has over 1,000# on the CRV. It's a very comfortable vehicle and while it's not luxurious by my standards...it's a step above a CRV which seem a bit econo-box/buzzy. Probably has to do with the extra 1,000#.....

We put snow tires on ours (Blizzaks) and IMHO the Ody is still just mediocre in the snow. It might not matter if you're somewhere that clears the roads decently and/or don't have steep hills. I have a couple hills to get home and the Ody just doesn't do well in the slippery stuff. Worst FWD vehicle I've driven...snow tires or not.

The DVD is quite good and I would buy that again. It works nicely and is very well integrated. I've had bad luck with aftermarket DVD systems in previous vehicles, although for one kid a portable unit might be just as well for long trips.

I probably wouldn't buy the NAV again. The big screen for the backup camera and built-in XM are plusses....but my Garmin will run circles around the NAV in terms of POI's and routing. There are roads missing that have been in place for 10 years....and even worse they're still missing on the latest version! These days...google maps on my phone works just as well for around-town stuff.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
mattd said:
Mine does great in the snow. But I have pax...
And Columbus road crews and flat roads..... I'm there two/three times a week and can easily get around in 2wd until I get close to home....

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
mattd said:
Actually I just moved back to Columbus. Mine did great in the snow in rural southern ohio, on country roads...
I dunno. I live on top of a hill and this is the worst FWD I've owned for getting up here. The OEM Michelins were worse than the Coopers I replaced them with. Basically couldn't make it up the hill at all. Then put Blizzaks on two winters ago and made a huge improvement but it still struggles on the hills. I was blasting through 10" on flat ground without a problem....but get near a steep hill and it gets crazy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OdyDa-Da said:
Hello Ody owners/drivers,

I am new to this forum. I am not new to Honda as I currently own a 2005 Accord and a 2009 CR-V.

My wife and I have been debating whether we should buy a 2010 Ody and whether we really need one or not. I like the idea of the extra room and comfort the Ody would provide over the CR-V. As parents of one child and owners of a house (read: frequent trips to Lowes & Home Depot), I think the Ody provides the best of all worlds. Road trips, people mover, stuff hauler, etc..

Since the 2011's are coming out soon, I feel this is a real good time to pick a 2010 at a good price. We are probably going to look for an EX-L. We like the EX-L RES/Nav but it's $4000 more and we are not sure it's worth the difference. I can add that later for much, much less.

So...I need opinions and comments, please.

Is the Odyssey a good product? I have read many common complaints regarding VCM, engine mounts, vibrations, road noise and so on. I realize no car is perfect but is the Ody really plagued with so many problems?

Is the Ody decent in snow? My wife is hung up on having AWD or 4WD because she feels more confident in snow/ice conditions. With that said, she never goes to work when it snows anyway because she doesn't like to drive in the bad weather!!!

I have done some research on pricing and I think I should be able to get into an EX-L for under $30,000...plus TTL...but comments are welcome.

Does anyone think that an Ody would be too much vehicle for a one child family?

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to reading your replies and comments. I am looking to make the move within a few days...probably will trade the CR-V in on the Ody.

-Future Ody owner in NJ???
We just purchased our first Ody last Feb. (09 EX-L, RES, NAV) after having 3 other minivans since 1986. All the kids are grown and so it's usually just my wife and I in the van but my wife has driven vans for so long it's what she's used to and what she wanted. We love its comfort and versatility. Even though we rarely haul a full-human load anymore, my wife just didn't care for the SUV/CUV offerings. If you like the Ody, go for it.

We have had ZERO problems with our Ody so far in 12k+ miles. We regularly get over 400 miles per tankful during trips from KW to our Central Florida home. I can't speak to the snow issue as we haven't traveled anywhere it has been an issue.

I am sure you can get good prices on the 10's with the 11's right around the corner, especially in Jersey where the competition is fierce. A good source for pricing is www.truecar.com. I'd also check out the Ody forum on www.edmunds.com for the "prices paid" comments. Good luck with your search and keep us posted on your decision. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
OdyDa-Da, since you own an Accord and a CR-V, I think you should consider trading in the Accord and keeping the CR-V. If you are concerned about snow handling and cargo capacity, I think you would be much better off with the CR-V instead of the Accord.

But as to getting an Odyssey, when we lived in Michigan our 2001 Ody was great in the snow. Although it didn't have AWD, I never had a problem getting through fairly deep snow on the dirt road we lived on that wasn't plowed until after we left for work. And you can't beat the cargo capacity of an Odyssey.

Another Honda to consider instead of an Ody is the Pilot.

And if you're thinking about a 2010, I'd step up and do it now before there are no more available. At this point there may not be much of a trim/color selection left.

Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve P said:
OdyDa-Da, since you own an Accord and a CR-V, I think you should consider trading in the Accord and keeping the CR-V. If you are concerned about snow handling and cargo capacity, I think you would be much better off with the CR-V instead of the Accord.

But as to getting an Odyssey, when we lived in Michigan our 2001 Ody was great in the snow. Although it didn't have AWD, I never had a problem getting through fairly deep snow on the dirt road we lived on that wasn't plowed until after we left for work. And you can't beat the cargo capacity of an Odyssey.

Another Honda to consider instead of an Ody is the Pilot.

And if you're thinking about a 2010, I'd step up and do it now before there are no more available. At this point there may not be much of a trim/color selection left.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the comments & suggestions...keep them coming...they are very helpful.

Steve P...if we do go with an Odyssey we decided to trade in the CR-V since we are making payments on it and we have a real good amount of equity in it. The Accord is paid off. If we trade in the Accord I will have 2 car payments and that would be too much to handle financially.

We also did consider the Pilot. After all discounts are taken a 2011 Pilot EX-L 4x4 would cost about $4000 more than a 2010 Odyssey EX-L. Taking into consideration that the Pilot is a 2011 model year and is 4x4, the $4000 difference is justified.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How old is your child? Mine is 5 now but I think a mini-van is by far the best vehicle you can have especially when the kid is younger. We are also a one child family and we have a SUV too. But we always take the mini-van over it because the car seat takes up a lot of space. Then we used to have a stroller and a big bag of stuff (extra clothes, diapers, what not...) Yet we can still goto Costco whenever and buy those bulky stuff like paper towels, toilet paper, and boxes of diapers without having to take out the baby stuff ahead of time.

Also, we used the 3rd row bench as a diaper changing space, cleaner and more privacy. Very hard to do in the 2nd row with the car seat in place on any car or SUV or mini-van. That is unless you don't mind changing the diaper with the doors open. And even if the SUV has a 3rd row seat, it is still easier for the adult to get in & out of a minivan.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fred2008 said:
How old is your child? Mine is 5 now but I think a mini-van is by far the best vehicle you can have especially when the kid is younger. We are also a one child family and we have a SUV too. But we always take the mini-van over it because the car seat takes up a lot of space. Then we used to have a stroller and a big bag of stuff (extra clothes, diapers, what not...) Yet we can still goto Costco whenever and buy those bulky stuff like paper towels, toilet paper, and boxes of diapers without having to take out the baby stuff ahead of time.

Also, we used the 3rd row bench as a diaper changing space, cleaner and more privacy. Very hard to do in the 2nd row with the car seat in place on any car or SUV or mini-van. That is unless you don't mind changing the diaper with the doors open. And even if the SUV has a 3rd row seat, it is still easier for the adult to get in & out of a minivan.
My child is 8 1/2 months. I like the 3rd row changing station idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Then you might even accept the idea of putting a training potty back there as he/she gets older:eek: We still have it back there and used it regularly because public restrooms can be pretty :yuck: And we don't want our little ones to sit on that! Yeah, it will stink for few minutes, just gotta open the windows for 10-15 mins afterward :stupid:

·
Registered
60 Posts
We loved our 2009 Oddy until the day we lost her in a terrible accident. I'll be driving home a 2010 this weekend.

It's not the best vehicle for snow and ice, but it is IMO the best minivan you can get right now.

Changing stock tires will help with handling in adverse weather conditions, but it is still a mini van after all.

I recommend going and driving everything you are interested in. Let the vehicles speak for themselves.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Odyssey is one of the safest and cheapest to insure vehicles if not #1.

Overkill for 1 kid. Really it's overkill for 2 kids most of the time.

Gas mileage is 19mpg for me in mixed driving. 24 mpg on highway.

Not great. I hope gas prices don't hit +$4 anytime soon.

Gas prices can really have an affect on how attractive a minivan is too drive.

But space is nice. It's nice to be able to easily pickup a piece of furniture from the store or deliver it to a buyer (it helped me sell some old furniture on craigslist. Nice to easily throw the kid's bike in the back. And nice when family comes into town and you can take one car. Nice on longer car trips.)

But most of the time it's just 1 parent driver and 2 kids. I guess as they get older my wife and I will be hauling our kids and their friends more.

And although i think the gas price is high the gas bill for us is only about $50 more a month than a Camry or something. 25% more in other words.

And while the Odyssey is the most fun to drive minivan it still is a van. I miss driving smaller cars and easily parking.

Some stigma associated with minivans too. Most families have moved on to SUVs of some sort instead of the minivan. Although I recently moved across the country and found myself in a minivan neighborhood.

Odyssey is a nice car. Only real complaint other than gas mileage is noise level. It gets a bit noisy on the highway.

Once in awhile I think about trading it in for a Camry to get better mpg and quiet especially since there are some great deals on Camrys lately, but so far I haven't got past the thinking about it phase. Probably wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Probably overkill but the safety is a big issue for me. Roads are cluttered around here with trucks/suv's and I'll take the advantage of a bigger vehicle anyday. Ody is just about as heavy as most mid/full size SUVs. Cars just don't have a chance going against these bigger vehicles.

There was a head-on awhile back here on the highway between a car-load of people and a Dodge minivan. Nobody in the car survived the minivan driver was injured but her kid in 2nd row was fine.

The van is less "overkill" than many SUV's so I wouldn't sweat it. Many of these crossovers don't have the height or weight to put them at an advantage in an accident.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
OdyDa-Da said:

My wife and I have been debating whether we should buy a 2010 Ody and whether we really need one or not.
Good luck with that! You haven't been able to get a 2010 in my area for months. They've been sold out since May/June.

Joel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Need 2010 buying advice

MTPockets08 said:
Good luck with that! You haven't been able to get a 2010 in my area for months. They've been sold out since May/June.

Joel
Actually, I have been in touch with several dealers in my area and there is still a good selection available. I see you're from Buffalo NY...Bills fan?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Need 2010 buying advice

OdyDa-Da said:
...Bills fan?
Sorta.. :rolleyes: Yeah, my two local dealers basically said, "sorry, can't help you. Come back when the 2011's come out." Nice. Unfortunately they are real dooshes to deal with. More so than the rest. If you're basing the 2010 inventory on what you see online, don't. Dealers sometimes leave them on there for months after they are sold.

Joel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Long time Bills fan here in NJ...:D Allow me to correct that...long time "suffering" Bills fan here in NJ! :(

I had the pleasure of driving a brand new 2010 Odyssey EXL RES/Nav yesterday and it is a night & day comparison to the CR-V. The Odyssey drives much nicer than the CR-V. It is quieter and feels more substantial on the road. The Odyssey accelerates easily and quietly too. And of course, utility wise, there is no comparison. The Odyssey can probably haul anything and anyone you put in it.

The wife and I really like it over the CR-V except for the fact that the CR-V offers AWD & the Odyssey is only FWD.

I verified stock with the local dealers. I am mainly dealing with the dealer that I purchased the CR-V from. Check this out...I was concerned whether the Odyssey would fit in my garage or not. So, while on the phone with my salesman, I expressed my concern to him about this and he volunteered to drive the Odyssey to my house to see if it would fit. It's a 20 mile round trip to do that. I thought that was very nice of him to do that. FWIW...I have about 2 inches to spare with the Odyssey in my garage...so it fits, but just barely.

The wife and I are making our decision next week.

Does anyone see an Odyssey in our future? :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
OdyDa-Da said:
The wife and I really like it over the CR-V except for the fact that the CR-V offers AWD & the Odyssey is only FWD.

Does anyone see an Odyssey in our future?
I'll vote YES on the Ody in your future. :)

On AWD vs. FWD, my opinion is that it doesn't make any difference. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need something just because some other vehicle has it and the Ody doesn't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts