Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Ex with currently 73,465 miles
(Front pads/machined rotors at 46,000 in 2008)

Went in to have the rear brakes checked before vacation for a little ticking noise from the right rear, and the results are below:

Since the car seems to break well, and I am not having any issues from the front, why suggest new pads and new rotors on the front when there is 80% left on the pad?

If I am reading the below correctly, the front rotors are too thin to be resurfaced again, but is there a reason to replace the rotors if the pads still have 80% left on the pad.

Rear:
Pad/Shoe Min: .063
Left Right Inner Pad: 30%
Left Rear Outer Pad: 30%
Right Rear Inner: 30%
Right Rear Outer: 30%
Rotors: .402 Left/.401 Right
Machine to: .350
Suggestion: Replace Pads and Resurface Rotors

Front:

Pad/Shoe Min: .063
Left Front Inner: 80%
Left Front Outer: 80%
Right Front Inner: 80%
Right Front Outer; 80%
Rotors: 1.040 Left/1.038 Right
Machine to 1.024
Suggestion: Replace Pads and Install New Rotors
Right Front Outer: 80%

Cost is estimated at: 538.33

Just looking for thoughts on just having the rears done if I don't seem to have issues from the front? (Heading on vaca next week camping, and would like to hold off on the fix until we return due to $$$)

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
Just like you want to go on vacation, the mechanic also needs to make payment on his boat.

Seriously, given the 30% vs 80% (does not say if it means pads used or pads left) for rear vs front, one end has lot of pads still left. If the shop is asking you to replace pads on both ends, then the only reason to improve their cash flow.

- Vikas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just called the place for verification.....the 80% is the worn amount, and the rears are 30% worn.
I guess this leads to another question....the fronts were completed at 46,000 with a resurface, and the rears haven't been done at all.
Is it odd that the rears have 70% remaining, and the fronts only 30% left? (i.e. The fronts wear out 2-3 times faster than the rear?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
I had to do rear breaks on my 1999 Ody first time after 154K. So it is possible for the rears to last for a while.

The real question is if only 30% of rear are worn, why is he asking you to replace them? Conversely, why are you not getting a clarification from him?

In general, it is not advisable to resurface rotors. Compared to cost of resurfacing an old one and removing the material (which results in rotor going out of round), paying few dollars more for a new ones makes most sense.

If the shop can replace the front rotors and pads for about $300, both of you should be happy with that outcome as that price is not out of range. You will need to do the front soon anyway i.e. at your next oil change.

- Vikas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Vikas. The job is costing $320 for the pads and rotors, so I think the price was fair. (Dealership wanted $520 for the same job)
I was just surprised that the rears had 70% left on the pads with 75,000 miles....but from what I had read it seems like the fronts wear much quicker due to most of the weight being in the front. Have a good 4th!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top