I hate talking to salesmen and negotiating. Purchased a new 2019 Subaru last year. Went the "internet" route.
Was surprised, got good price, no hassle.
1. Find exact model, options, you want. (critical).
2. Each Dealership has a "internet" department.
3. Send out emails to Dealerships. Some close, some further out.
4. Ask for "out the door price".
5. Some website's ask for "phone number", do not give out phone number.
6. I found, Mfg. website, allows you do put out multiple requests, with NO phone number.
7. After your receive quotes.
8. Send out your offer to the Dealerships. (ones that seem to offer the best price).
9. In my case, none would budge.
10. However, the price difference, was pretty large. Over $2000+ from lowest to highest.
11. Ended up driving about 20 miles, for the best price.
12. Done. Good luck.