Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My ody was involved in a minor accident (someone rear-ended it in the traffic on the highway), so the bumper needed to be replaced.
The body shop ordered OEM bumper. I also have a trailer hitch, so they had to put the hitch cover back (screw to the bumper underneath).
I also had a scratch on my hood and decided to ask them to fix that as well since the car was in the shop anyway.
Long story short, after inspecting the paint job I am not happy with the results at all.

Here is what I found:
  1. lots of debris/dust under clearcoat on the bumper (pictures attached)
  2. trailer hitch cover was screwed not centered, but since they already cut it there is no place to screw it again
  3. on the hood I noticed a spot, like a stain that is not smooth, is it possible they burnt the paint?
  4. also, the hood has minor scratches and debris/dust under the clear coat as well.
I called them immediately after pickup and going back tomorrow.

Before I go there I wanted to ask for advice, opinion as what was your experience like if you had your car repaired?
Also, if someone has experience with body work, wouldn't it be possible to do a much better job?
I am not trying to be picky, but the result is very poor in my opinion, especially for the amount they charged.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, have had similar issues with vehicles at body shops, the workers get too lazy to tarp off areas, & overspray happens. Alas, most shops in my area are accustomed to this complaint and will fix it (If the customer notices).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same here. The shops just flat out suck today. They don’t care about shitty work and just want to get the insurance work in and out as fast as possible. My truck has been in and out 6 times for a simple front end repair and every time they mess something else up. They even managed to break the center console and parts are no longer available to fix it.

First step is to complain to your insurance company then the shop manager. You should never settle for inferior work but this is what they will continue to try and pass off as work.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
van_under30,
It looks as though they never had the ODY in a paint booth, you would never get any dust or dirt or even bugs in a air-filtered paint booth. They did not do a very good job of blending paint (new paint to exiting old paint). The hitch is not right either. Take it back - generally as in most paint-shops they let a rookie have a go at doing this work with no one watching his work. Is it just a body repair place that is only one shop? I steer clear of these places as they come and go like a tumbleweed. Good body shops will have several if not National locations. They will either give you a ten year warranty or lifetime of the work they did excluding weather damage. Your stuck with going back to them I understand, do not fill intimidated with them, in this case you have them hands down to not being a satisfactory job.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hate to contradict @DJVAN , but in my experience you want a good locally owned shop that relies on its reputation and word of mouth, not TV or other paid advertising, to bring customers in. OTOH, If you allowed your insurance company to steer you into a shop, the three insurance companies I've had in 50+ years have all given a lifetime workmanship guarantee on the shop's work in such circumstances.

Last repair in the family ( a self pay job in 2015), I had my daughter bring her Nissan to the local Honda dealer's freestanding body shop, because of their excellent rep. Perfect job, including blending. My nephew has owned and operated a high quality body shop for 25+ years...but that's 250 miles away. There are 2 other local shops I'd use, both 35+ year in business, but they were backed up with work.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with this shop because it local and has excellent review and recommendations from local people. I am really hoping they will make it right and redo the job. It was not insurance recommended shop.
If they refuse to fix it what would be my next step?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Mine would likely be small claims court. But I'd also consider credit card protections, if applicable.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
@Ted
I am not saying one body shop cannot be bad, as long as it been in business for 20 years or more, however I agree their is some national body shops such as MAACO or Earl Shieb is the lousiest national companies, but something that has more than 1 body shop in local area. In the Omaha NE area the small body shops come and go like wild fires, but we have a fair one called Great Plaines Auto Body, they have 3 shops and a few good painters. Even the shops that do Paintless Rent Removal are highly questionable as they come in after the hail storms and leave within the same year. My father-in-law used to do body work after he retired from being a electrician, and he reccomended this company to me as he trained the owner when they lived in the same city, he started his body shop after Harold taught him what to do... including lead shaping on the older cars.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
@Ted
I am not saying one body shop cannot be bad, as long as it been in business for 20 years or more
@DJVAN, I don't want to get into a debate. The OP and others can judge the usefulness of our recommendations using their common sense.

I do think that your sentence above includes the word "bad" where your reasoning wold call for the word "good" for the idea conveyed to make sense. But that's just my way of thinking.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,186 Posts
I used to paint my own fleet. From those pics, I see orange peeling, poor or no wipe down before spraying, overspray, runs, and fish eyes. The workmanship is shoddy. Have you paid the bill or has the insurance company been forwarded the bill? Report this crap to the insurance company. They have more clout than you do.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paid for the hood as it wasn't related to the accident damage and insurance paid for the bumper work in the rear.
I just came back from them and talked to their manager and he agreed that they did a poor job and he will fix it and set up an appointment for me.
Do you think I should inform insurance anyway that this is happening or wait until they fix it? The appointment is 2 weeks from now

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,186 Posts
I paid for the hood as it wasn't related to the accident damage and insurance paid for the bumper work in the rear.
I just came back from them and talked to their manager and he agreed that they did a poor job and he will fix it and set up an appointment for me.
Do you think I should inform insurance anyway that this is happening or wait until they fix it? The appointment is 2 weeks from now
I think full disclosure to the insurance company or at least, your insurance agent, is in order. It's great that the body shop is stepping up to the plate but if something goes amiss and they demand extra money, at least the insurance company won't be blindsided, forcing you between two very solid rock walls :).

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Through the years, dealing with insurance companies... If you have the title to the vehicle the insurance company pays you, if not they pay the body shop. I have had them say you picked the body shop for repairs and we the Insurance company paid you for the accident damage, you have to deal with the body shop. And of course back in the 1970's they automatically picked the repair shop, and fought you like the devil to accept whatever the body shop did for repair to be acceptable, the in the 1980's it seemed like they let the driver pick the the body shops. Now they accept pictures instead of estimators checking the damage. What a wild world of changes!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If you have the title to the vehicle the insurance company pays you, if not they pay the body shop.

Other than a lease situation, why wouldn't the "owner" have the title?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This must be something that varies with state law. In NY, owner would still have title, with a recorded lien on it.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
In the 3 states I have lived in IA. NE, CA, the finiancial companies keep the title and also have their name on it as a owner instead of a lien against it. When the loan is paid off you will have the title in your name but prior owner was that financial company.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
As I said, it varies by state. I never assume that all 50+ do things the same way. Now, some lenders may make physical possession of the title a condition of the loan, but that's contractual, not universal.

I am actually quite surprised that a lender would want to be listed as "owner" because of liability issues. Their home state law may protect them, but in NY, the owner shares liability with the driver. So, if a driver and car from Iowa were in an accident in NY, the lender would be on the hook after the insurance was used up. Surprised a lender would want to be in that position.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts