Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

We bought our 06 exl 3 years ago as a Certified Used car, and it now has 71K miles on it. I never noticed any shuddering or problems (but I also have 3 loud kids) but the engine light came on last week (days after we paid it off) and it needs a new TC and Transmission. Thank god we are covered with the Certified Honda warranty and also we have Honda Care. It is getting installed now.

From all that I am reading, it sounds like the odyssey has transmission and TC problems. Not for everyone of course, but it doesn't look so good.

My question is, we have a car that will have a new trans and TC, a Honda Care warranty that can be transferred and is good for another 1.5 years, should we get out and buy something else? I feel like we dodged a bullet with this, but the new Transmission is good for 36k miles or 3 years which I am not impressed with.

What do you think? I am no Honda hater, but after this but I am no odyssey fan anymore!

I'd appreciate your thoughts. A paid off car is a wonderful thing, but waiting for the TC and Trans to fail again sucks.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't worry about it until your Honda Care warranty expires. Another year and a half w/o any payments has to be good- no?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a great idea. Our car payment was very low, but still. My line of thinking was it is still a fairly young car and the transferrable warranty would be worth something. No warranty, and another 1.5 years of age and miles....BUT this is a good idea to put it off until then. I will compare resale values too....

Anyone else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Moxie, you are right. 18 mos of no car payments, time to save for a new car and time to figure out what we want outweighs the $2K loss of car value.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm with moxie. I traded a 2005 with 195000 Kms on it for my current 2011. You have a low mileage 2006 with a solid warranty. Enjoy the peace of mind.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm with moxie. I owned two 2005s and now have a 2011. The 2005 I traded on my new one had 195000kms on it. You have a low mileage 2006 with a solid warranty. Enjoy the peace of mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The thought of no car payments is a good one. Perhaps keep the van for now and keep your eyes open for a 2011 or newer Sienna with a decent price and in good shape in the next year to year and a half. I personally do not like the looks of the 2011 Odyssey and when it is time to renew our van I am thinking Sienna.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, waiting is definitely what I will do. But another odyssey? I don't know. I bought that 06 thinking the transmission problem was with the older cars, now I don't think it got fixed. I am hoping 18mos and we'll see where our family is at, maybe I can consider a crossover with 3 rows? I don't know but I won't buy another odyssey. Or Sienna (don't like the way it drives, among other things). Like the Nissan Quest-but I haven't driven it yet.

But yes, no payments with warranty and then we have some time to figure it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts