Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1st post and looking for advice from owners who drive the Odyssey as their primary vehicle and not their Wives.

my wife and I are expecting our 2nd child and I've been stressing about our next vehicle since we need to trade in her Lexus IS small sedan for more space.
I've been a long time SUV owner from an Acura MDX to '11 Lexus RX, and was looking at the '12 Pilot but the dated design got me to glance over at the '12 Odyssey.
the RX will be my wife's commuter vehicle and I work from home so the next car would be Mine.

I've never imagined driving a mini-van since I've owned a SUV for so long to tailgate with and love it's high strong ride.
since we're expecting our 2nd child and I'm 36 now, I've been more open about suggestions from family and friends that say to get a Mini-van. BUT their mini-vans is the primary vehicle of their WIVES ! not the guys.
my wife doesn't want to drive a mini-van b/c she feels its too big for her.
I would have jumped at the opportunity at an Odyssey AWD like the Sienna(too much soccer mom-ish).
I was looking at either a Dark gray or Pearl White color but couldn't pull the trigger(partially b/c of random Touring transmission issues) and don't know what else to get(good regular gas mileage and usable family space is required)

can anyone help?
does any Ody owner wish they had their SUV back when you drive to the city for drinks with your buddies or at Football tailgates?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 41 and I have owned FOUR Odysseys and one Pilot since I became a parent when I was 25. As much as I hate to admit it, I like the Odyssey much more. There's more room, more power, better fuel economy, and better handling in an Odyssey (compared to a Pilot). Just borrow your wife's RX when you want an SUV (if an RX is any better than a minivan..), and I promise you won't regret buying the Odyssey.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am a guy in my 50s. After our second child, I traded in my 9 yr old BMW 325 and bought an Odyssey. We did look at a Highlander but decided that it does not feel any more roomy or different from our CRV. The moment you sit in an Odyssey, you know you are in a very different car that is truly roomy and versatile, not to mention all the other virtues of a minivan such as better gas mileage, sliding door, etc. After 9 long years, there was no doubt in my mind that the BMW is great fun to drive and very "manly." However I LOVE my Odyssey — two of the best moments of my day are early in the morning and late during in the afternoon when I am ready to drive the Ody. This is the best car I have ever own, and I love it even more, knowing that it will protect my family like no other car on the market (minivan as a category is the safest).

All of that "man can't drive a minivan" stuff, IMO, is just plain silly. A true man can appreciate a good car when he sees it and can wear pink any day of the year. I think of the minivan as a status quote, a symbol of maturity and responsibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 34, have no children and I'm on my 3rd minivan, second Odyssey. The last vehicle I had before the first van was a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins pickup. If there's anything I miss about that truck that the minivan can't provide it's the ability to throw anything I wanted in the open bed and not worry about getting the interior dirty, that's it though. The minivans all get better mileage per gallon of fuel, they handle better and are more comfortable to ride in, anything I'm transporting is more secure locked inside the van, repairs are less costly and I can camp inside the van with the middle seats out and the back row folded down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good advice so far, I never thought about being able to camp in the van since none of my SUV's had removable seats but that could prove useful
what color would you guys have preferred?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get the van, I love driving my wife's. Just spruce it up a little (side window vent shades, tint the side windows, sun roof deflector,mud flaps, bug guard) and you'll be all set. Very comfortable nice riding vehicle. I drive a 2011 accord, but we have the van for our twin 8 yr old boys, and for Saturday and Sunday trips with mother and father in-law. Only recommendation is if you buy a mid level or lower look to install 3rd row speakers. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
good advice so far, I never thought about being able to camp in the van since none of my SUV's had removable seats but that could prove useful
what color would you guys have preferred?
I got a metallic grey one just b/c it is available with the right option and b/c it is a pretty good color. The metallic really sparkles in the sun, and is a color that matches well with most accessaries (e.g mud guards, spoiler, etc) that are black. However if I could choose, peal white would be my top choice b/c it is relatively rare and gives the car a luxurious look to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am 34 and and last August, I purchase my first minivan, a 2011 Odyssey EX-L Nav. The van is my daily ride. I traded a 2008 Acura MDX. Prior to the MDX, had no kids, so was driving a 2006 350Z 6-Speed. I came a long way from the Z now. With regards to the minivan, I hate to say this but buying the suv was a mistake, it was nice and all, but it still felt like it never had enough room and when my wife and I had our second child, it was time for the suv to go. I dont miss the suv at all, I got more room and better gas mileage (regular gas is also a plus). If your worried about what others think about you driving a minivan, get over it. I have seen people with 2-3 kids cramming kids inside an suv or truck because they are too stubborn to get a minivan. The Odyssey is my daily driver and I enjoy it alot. I got a Crystal Black Pearl. You will not regret the Odyssey purchase.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bluntly, get the vehicle that's right for you and your family. Don't give a 2nd thought about what you think others will think of you for driving a specific vehicle.

Not trying to be negative here, but my perspective is if I'm concerned about what others may think of me for driving a minivan, then I may be not man enough to drive a minivan.

We purchased our 2002 Ody EX just shy of 10 years and 180k miles ago. My wife was the primary driver. But, if we took the Ody when we traveled together, I drove. The Ody is a very satisfying vehicle to drive. VERY SATISFYING. Especially with a family.

All our boys are pretty much out of the house, and my wife drives her Honda Fit. But we keep the van because of its versatility.

I've never felt self conscious driving a minivan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may be not man enough to drive a minivan.
haha, I may need to reassess my manlihood
but I was single up until a couple years ago and owned a Hummer and Jeep Wrangler so I'm still getting use to even being around minivans...imagine one of your single sons wanting one
but I'm getting more comfortable with the idea and soon I'll be one of you :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know a lot of people who have minivan stigma. Some of them after having an SUV and 2 kids are warming up to the idea of a minivan. I'm a car guy myself and never thought I'd like having a minivan. Now that I have an ody I actually like it.

Like others have said its hard to beat the versatility and usefulness. For overall interior space, gas mileage and flexibility of the folding rear seats, removable second row you have lots of choices for hauling kids or hauling stuff from lowes. When your loading and unloading kids in tight parking spaces the sliding door is way more convenient than a regular door like on an SUV. You don't end up door dinging the guy next to you trying to get the door open wide enough to load your baby carrier or child. Compared with 7 passenger SUVs, ever try to get in the 3rd row with 2 car seats in the 2nd row? Unless you have narrow car seats and/or a wide SUV many times the 60/40 seats won't fold forward with the car seat in the way.

My last little trip we took with our friends there were a total of 4 adults and 3 babies/kids in car seats. We ended up taking my ody over their Honda Pilot because it was much easier to get in and out of and had enough luggage space for all our stuff.

If your concerned about style I've seen a few guys add 20" wheels to their vans to add a little more style.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drive one for a spell and it will convert you, like so many have said a minivan's versatility is hard to beat when it comes to interior volume, seating configuration and passenger comfort along with the gas mileage, handling and power that today's minivans come with. I absolutely love our Ody. My wife is smitten as well, and she was a hard-line pro-SUV-er/anti-minivan-er (lol) until we had two kids fourteen months apart. That double stroller took up so much cargo space in all the SUV's we rode in it basically made carrying people and cargo at the same time hard to do and uncomfortable. With the Ody, those problems disappear. I knew they would though, I've been a minivan advocate all the years I've been driving, my first car was a Plymouth Voyager. Good luck!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
We had an suv before the Ody, and can't fantom how we did without a minivan. Just the huge power doors are enough to sell the car to families. Can't tell you how much better they are competed to suv rear doors, the step in height, the openiing size, the auto open/close, the lack of swing out clearance all makes for easy baby seat handling or kid car seat buckling. The rest is just icing. We have the elite and it's on par with any luxury suv amenities-wise. But do spruce it up, with the roof rack at least is my advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
48 and Odyssey Touring model. getting the Touring model is quite simply spoiling yourself and anyone that rides with you. I added heated seats to the middle 2 and quite franklily both the kids and and adult that gets in them loves it. power doors, sun roof, nav and RES with seperate speaker controll front to back is quite nice add hands free with automaticly turning the stereo down to talk is also quite nice

·
Registered
884 Posts
Looks like you hit a chord with a lot of folks with your question and don't need my two cents worth but I'll add it anyway. I always owned 4 wheel or all wheel drives, usually GM products or Nissan as my father was a dealer. Became a father for the first time at 50 and for the second at 53. Then purchased my first of four Odysseys mostly not to have to struggle getting car seats into a comfined space. In 2009 I figured the kids were old enough to go back to SUVs and go back I did. I regretted it almost from day 1. It's amazing how many times you need to lug someone else's kids as well as your own. Then we got a dog. Ended up losing my shirt to get back into an odyssey. Intend to stay there for the foreseeable future. I have a friend with a Pilot and a ten year old Caravan and two kids. When they go on vacation they take the Caravan. You cant beat these things for practicality. But as someone else said. Do what's right for you. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys...if I get one, I definitely would add more style like the roof rack, side steps and a tow hitch for jet skis

can you separate the DVD audio to play on the rear speakers and play another audio source on the front-driver-side speaker

is there anyone not regretting purchasing a minivan and wants to go back SUV?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
BUT their mini-vans is the primary vehicle of their WIVES ! not the guys.
my wife doesn't want to drive a mini-van b/c she feels its too big for her.
So, 36, married, soon to have 2 kids. Hmmm, test drive and if you like it, get it, if not, don't. As per functionality: Minivan >> any SUV. Your kids will thank you, trust me.

As per insecurity for driving a minivan as a daily driver? You are driving an SUV already! (Sorry, couldn't help it ;)):

Anyway, my favorite Odyssey review of all, it does not get old (to me anyway). Good advice:

Video - Why the 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite Mini-Van could be Honda's best vehicle. - News Hub - WSJ.com

As per color, sorry, it does not matter, it is a minivan, get what your wife likes :p.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Kids can use the wireless headsets and watch a movie,in back while u listen to another audio source in front. They can listen to one XM station on headsets while u listen to another up front or whatever.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts