Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering going to a 17" wheel and tire (when I get my Ody!) I'm looking at the Dunlop Sport A2 in a 235/55 17 size on 17x7 rim. What would the correct offset be? This tire is only about 1/2" greater diameter so I think I will be OK with this size. Anyone do a plus 1 upgrade? I like Nemogira's 18s (have 18s on my Accord) but for the Ody and my wife driving, I think I'll stick to 17s. Thanks...

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
1,484 Posts
Now this is just a rough estimate of the "ideal" offsets for each wheel width. Maybe check with tirerack.com just to be sure.

7.5 (48-52)
7 (42-45)
6.5 (38-40)

Now lets say if you lower the Ody with H&Rs. I know (from my experience) that you can get away with a lower offset. Yes, the tires will line up under the fender more that stock but the height the H&R lowers the Ody to and the stiffer spring rate will prevent you from rubbing.

Also, 18s are not that much different (in feel) than the stock wheels/tires. Plus, the 2002 suspension is supposed to be cushier. So it will balance out!
It's up to you though. Good luck on whatever your decision may be.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Go to www.discounttiredirect.com and try their wheel configurator. I'm usually a Tire Rack fan, but Tire Rack's site does not give wheel specs and Discount Tire's does. They list offsets from 35 to 45 on a wide variety of wheels. On a calculated basis, a 225/55R-17 is a better equivalent to 225/60R-16 OE size, but I'd bet a 235 would do just fine as well. If/when you do it, please give us feedback.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah, tirerack.com is great for tire research. My 18s on my Accord are 42mm offset with 225/40 18s and they rub *slightly* under extreme conditions on the rear.
Yeah, the 235/55 17 are slightly taller, but within allowable tolerances I think. I am tempted to go with 18s, but for several reasons I think 17s will be better for me. Looking for something polished (not chrome) to really set of the Redrock Pearl color! Need some good sidewall cushion on the tire for those of us (ahem!) who sometimes park by Braille and hit those potholes dead center
The larger, high perf. tire should really help the Ody handle well-the Dunlops are supposed to be awesome tires! I'll be sure to post pics, I want to have the wheels and tires waiting when I get the van.

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Come on guys throw caution to the wind and get those Bridgestone potenza S03 Pole Postions in 245/35-20 that you really want!

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, a friend at America's tire said he saw an Odyssey with 20s and a body kit at a shop somewhere! Probably a bit extreme for the "family vehicle"

------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get some pics of the ODY with 20's! This is what I wanted to do, but the shop out in Cali where I was getting my rims from wouldn't do it. Said it would cause me to change too many things.

With that said, I love the 18's on the ODY. I may do the 20's in the future, if I don't do the H&R's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One of the things it may cause you to change is your ability to walk upright.

20 inchers on a stock Oddysey is not endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association.

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
59 Posts
"One of the things it may cause you to change is your ability to walk upright."

...yeah, but imagine the looks from the women when they see that hooked up ODY with doves on it!
I have turned many a ladies head (and kept it on me & the ODY). The bass out of my sub box helps, but you know...

Ok, so in another life, I want an SUV with rims (preferably an MDX), but in all seriousness, minivans especially the 1989+ MPV are rimmed up and systemmed out around here. There are several Chryslers and Windstars hooked up also.

I am an ex-owner of an 89 MPV that was being planned for greatness till it started giving me major headaches! (Reason for my CSS EX ODY)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to find out where the Ody was with the 20s, and if it's not too far away, I'll see about getting a pic to post.
I'm going to go with 17s, either TSW Spirit or the Revo in 17x7 or 7.5 and about 40 mm offset.
Nestor-did the slightly taller tires cause any problems at all? I'm going with 235/55 17 which is almost exactly the same O.D. as yours...thanks

------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
Actually, a friend at America's tire said he saw an Odyssey with 20s and a body kit at a shop somewhere! Probably a bit extreme for the "family vehicle"

</font>
Hmmmm......20's are a bit too much for a family vehicle. It must make it look all "pimped-out" !

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
596 Posts
In order to maintain the proper steering response (turn-in), which is not so great on the Odyssey, anyway, you should stay very close to the stock offset. This could be important if you should have any warranty claims re suspension. Different than designed offsets add stress to wheel bearings and, sometimes to other suspension parts and would leave Honda an "out" when it comes to component replacement. Just thinkin'.......

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Shoot, Tire Rack has some Dunlop SP Sport 9000s in the 285/35ZR-TWENTY TWO size. Why not go all the way......... The only problem is that there seems to be a shortage of wheels upon which to mount these monsters. IMHO, this big wheel thing is getting out of hand and I do not think the look is particularly attractive. If ya need 'em, you can even get some 30 series rubber. I'll bet that soon the tire will disappear almost completely and all we will see is some very large "pizza pans".

Speaking of tires, I got some great service today. Over the weekend, I rotated my tires and came up with a slight "shimmy". I went to my Les Schwab store to have the fronts rebalanced. The fella took them both off the car and found that one of them was still fine, but, the other needed to be redone. He did the rebalance, adding a couple of weights and remounted them on the car, using a hand torque wrench. When he finished, he said, "There's no charge. Come and see us when you need new tires." This is the same store which checked my front end alignment a while back (on my Caravan) and found it to be o.k. and would not take any payment for the half hour spent. Now that's service!!!!!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
IMHO, this big wheel thing is getting out of hand and I do not think the look is particularly attractive. If ya need 'em, you can even get some 30 series rubber. I'll bet that soon the tire will disappear almost completely and all we will see is some very large "pizza pans".

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
</font>
I agree 100%! Very easy to go into overkill with the "giant wheel syndrome". Obviously, what looks silly to us, looks really cool to someone else-but personally I don't really care for the 20" tire/wheel combos I see on a lot of SUVs like Expeditions, Suburbans etc. Some are OK, but I've seen many that were just awful IMO. Especially with the (apparently)larger wheel gap from using low profile tires. Even if the gap is the same, it seems larger due to the shorter sidewall. Looks much better if slightly lowered like Nestor's Ody. I don't want to lower mine which is one reason I stayed with 17s and a 55 series tire.
By the way, my tires came in yesterday (Dunlop Sport A2 in 235/55 17) and these things looked HUGE!
But then comparing them to a stock size tire they had, it wasn't really all that much larger.

------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Dunlops should be very good tires. They know how to make 'em work. They are also quite reasonable as compared to some others. Enjoy!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
180 Posts
So ody: What did you do for wheels? Did you buy a wheel/tire pkg or are you still shopping for wheels? Pics please, too!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with a set of TSW Spirit wheels in 17 x 7 chrome. I think it should look very nice with the RRP Ody and the slightly more aggresive rubber. They're not cheap, but TSW makes a very good wheel. I got them at America's tire near my house-great prices and unbeatable service too! I will post pics as soon as the van arrives (it's on the truck now) and I get everything installed.

------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts