1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Vehicle is a 2007 Ex-L with RES.
Langley, BC, Canada.
85155km on the Van.
All Past Services been completed at Honda ONLY.

Dealer diagnostic is that I need the following.
1) New Torque Converter. (under warranty)
2) New Rear Engine Mount. (not under warranty)

Ok, the TC is being covered by Warranty....great....BUT.....they are not even changing the Tranny Oil.....is that a little odd?
Should I tell them to do it....and they don`t recommend a complete flush from the Tranny Lines.....just fill and drop....three times.....casue I asked for it....they don`t recommend a line flush.

and secondly...should I be asking for something else or not?

My original complaint is that my Fuel Economy is through the Roof.
and yes I have the symptoms of tranny serching for a gear and not locking in.

Thanks in advance.
DN

·
Registered
287 Posts
It is not clear to me if you're asking the shop to do the ATF drain and refill as part of the TC warranty.
It's unlikely that the repair shop will change the ATF for free after putting in the new TC.
An ATF drain and flush would cost the shop more time, supplies (ie. money) which would not be covered by the Honda Motor warranty.
You can ask and see if the shop will do it gratis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNX, you are right.
maybe what I should have wrote is: "Isn't it odd that the dealer is not recommending a oil change or flush to coincide with the TC change?'

Does anyone who has had the TC change the the new one seen an improvment?
Can anyone recommend what else I should be asking the dealer to do at this time as well.
Covered or not covered....doesn't matter.
I just want to protect my investment.

Regards,
DN

·
Registered
43 Posts
When they installe dmy new TC, the delaer (said they) replaced with new Tranny fluid.
On the dipstick it is nice and red, so I assume they replaced the entire thing with new fluid....but there is no way to no for sure. I just had to take their word for it.
My thread on the TC here:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...converter-2008-odyssey-exl-covered-honda.html

They overfilled the tranny fluid by 1.5 qts.....but thats just me being picky.

Improvement?
Yes, it has improved. When the VCM kicks in and out, it is much less noticeable.
It's not COMPLETELY seamless and unoticeable, but much better than before. The people that say they never feel the VCM kick in/out are rare.
From what I've read on the forums, I am not too hopeful it will ever be seamless and unoticeable.
The Honda dealership shop foreman I spoke with said that in his experience, every Odyssey seems to feel a little different...some are smoother than others. He says mine isnt too bad and seems to be operating normally. Whatever that means.........

But I am still working with the dealer on a few noises/vibrations/rumbling I'm getting around 65-70mph cruising speed.....
I am gonna drop off the car to them soon to experiment with a new set of tires/wheels from 2011 Odyssey to eliminate that being a cause of my vibration/rumbling issue. If I still get the noise/vibration, then I know it is probably a powertrain issue. If I dont get the noise, then something is wrong (balancing? rim?) with my new Hankook tires.

mm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MrMichaelJMoore,

OK, Now my ody has had the new TC replaced and I have a vibration at 50 to 80 km/hr that I did not have before the TC replacement.
if you find out what this is, let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Update:

The dealer swapped my wheels and tires for another....took a test drive and still experienced the noise/vibration. So, the problem is not with my wheels and brand new Hankooks.
They disconnected the VTECH system and still the vibration/rumbling was there.

Both the Service Shop Foreman (a Honda Master tech supposedly) and another mechanic did not know what it was.
So, the Service Advisor will be contacting the local Honda rep to see what she can do.

The Foreman admitted that he had another Odyssey in the shop having a similar problem.....but apparently much more prominent/worse than mine. The Foreman said he had been in contact with Honda Tech for assistance....
I am hoping to find out more about that car (mileage, TC replaced?, etc) to see how it compares to mine.

Needless to say I'm frustrated.......

-------------------------
Nemesis -
It seems your vibration issue is at slower speeds. I ususally dont experience mine until I get to about 60...65...70 mph. Mine feels like you are riding on rumble strips (without the loud noise)...basically, the car just feels like its riding rough.
And, like you, I dont seem to recall the crusing speed vibration prior to TC replacement.....

I may start a new thread to see if anyone who's had a TC replaced experienced any new vibrations when it was done.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts