Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks so much to everyone on this forum. Just got an 2011 EX-L and love it and learned so much from all of the posts on this. However I have an issue....

Can someone tell me the dimension between the 2 center backup sensors?

Here is reason why....

I just went to pick up my new 2011 EX-L after having backup sensors installed. When I got to the dealer they put some crap aftermarket ones on. After 40 minutes of arguing about how this is not what i was sold or paid for, and them trying to tell me that we agreed on aftermarket, they have agreed to have the correct Honda system installed. I told them that they will have to replace the bumper also cause it looks as though the ones they put in are wider than the factory ones, but I have no reference short of removing the bumper and checking myself.

Second question...if they do replace the bumper, does the new bumper come painted from the factory or do they paint one at the dealer?

So angry that I have to get a new bumper put on a brand new van with 22 miles on it. :argue:

It really ruined what was a good experience.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
When the bumper is removed, there are 4 marks that should indicate where the backup sensors holes should be drilled. I'm not sure how any installer can "miss" that since it's so obvious to drill there. I did a backup sensor install on a 2008 Odyssey for a kit I bought on ebay for < $30 shipped and painted. It took 45 minutes and was a breeze to install since the marks were already on the back side of the bumper. In all likelihood, they will recieve your bumper primed and ready to paint. Your bumper will likely get sent out to a local "dealership approved" shop to paint it. Dealer only cares that it lasts 3 years, 36K miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bmw, I was just hoping to get a dimension from someone on the factory sensors and not have to remove the bumper to look at the back for the marks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On a Cdn touring... (equivalent to a US Touring Elite) its 19" 25" 19" Four sensors total these are the distances between sensors. The middle of the 25 is at the centre of the bumper.

I believe the bumpers are factory painted.

hope that helps

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks Nasa, mine is a 2007 Odyssey LX. so i guess there were no marks?
Nope, 2005-2010 all have marks on the inside of the bumper so there's no measurements needed, just drill into those marks and you can't really go wrong.

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
Sorry to break it to you but the bumpers do NOT come factory painted. Also, the metallic paints are very hard to match. I got a new bumper and "returned" it for my old one with my brand new 2007 back in 2007 as it didn't match that well at only certain angles. It matched perfectly at other angles but I wasn't happy.

If the factory sensors fit, if I were you, I'd have them put those in even if the distances between 'em is a little off but that's just me and the big if is if they'd fit or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nasa, that is exactly what I was looking for...and sure enough the two sensors they put in are about 29" center to center. They are also about midway up the bumper for height. Not even close to where the factory ones are. ARGH! It makes me so mad. They screwed up a brand new bumper!

dv - I got the crystal black pearl so hopefully it will be an easy match.

How does the quality/longevity of a shop painted bumper compare to one from a factory vehicle?

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
The new paint job should be warrantied for life from a reputable shop so Honda should be warrantying it for life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks Nasa, that is exactly what I was looking for...and sure enough the two sensors they put in are about 29" center to center. They are also about midway up the bumper for height. Not even close to where the factory ones are. ARGH! It makes me so mad. They screwed up a brand new bumper!

dv - I got the crystal black pearl so hopefully it will be an easy match.

How does the quality/longevity of a shop painted bumper compare to one from a factory vehicle?
The main reason why after factory painting doesn't always hold up is because of the baking process (I believe). Many times panels are painted on the car and they do not bake the car at all or long enough for the fresh paint. Since they are painting the bumper by itself they "should" bake it for the proper time period.

As long as the shop is good and you stress to the dealership and the shop (if you talk to shop) the importance of perfection or you will be bringing it back to get redone if it is not perfect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pics that I will be sending to the sales manager at the dealer. Even if I agreed to the aftermarket sensors, which I did not, the install is childish at best. they should be embarrassed that they would let this happen.
Thanks again everyone...we will see what the service dept has to say tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here are some pics that I will be sending to the sales manager at the dealer. Even if I agreed to the aftermarket sensors, which I did not, the install is childish at best. they should be embarrassed that they would let this happen.
Thanks again everyone...we will see what the service dept has to say tomorrow!
oh boy.. second picture with hanging wire (?)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could have them take a black bumper from another Ody on the lot - and then they can put their aftermarket system on their other one to sell, probably marking it up $800 for that junk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to pick up the Ody this morning. They ended up pulling a bumper off a "new" Ody in the lot and then installed the factory sensors and put it on my van. Still not overly happy with the way one of the sensors fit as it is causing waves in the bumper right around it. Also the bumper has some fine scratches in the clearcoat. Though I know over time the rest of the body would start to accumulate them this one just has to many....so back I go next week. I wonder where they pulled this bumper off of.

Also, in looking real close at the fit up I noticed a color shift between the painted plastic bumper and the metal body. I looked and the front is the same. The paint on the plastic casts a slightly greenish hue. Weird.

I am near giving up but just want the van back to the state I bought it in.

I know its the wrong forum but since I am writing this, does anyone have a good product suggestion to get rid of superfine scratches in the clearcoat on a black pearl body?

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
The way the paint adheres to plastic and metal is different. So, you are going to have a slight shade difference between the body and the bumpers. That's how they come from the factory too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts