Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Against my better judgement, I took my Ody to a shop to have them run the new wiring for the tweeters (in conjunction with a Rockford Fosgate crossover and the already-installed woofers).

Serves me right. :-o

Despite my repeated request to "LEAVE ALL EXISTING WIRING ALONE SO I CAN PUT IT BACK TO FACTORY FRESH CONDITION" ... they removed the factory tweeter (which I got back) BUT before they did that they simply clipped and severed the wire that leads to it. Duh ...

So basically I had my tweeter with the AMP connector on it (I think it's made by AMP?) and a short stub of wire. Then they ran new wire (which was correct and what I asked for) to the headunit (no, I asked it to be run to the door well instead). Anyway, that part isn't so bad. THIS is ...

I showed them what happened and asked them to make it right. They offered to add some clip-on connectors to the stub-end of the wire-with-the-clip, so I left the connectors (not the tweeters) with them.

A few weeks pass and ... they've lost the connectors. >:-(

I checked with my local Honda parts dept. and they insist there is no such part that I can order. Huh? Wha? Huh? %-}

Clue please? Anyone have ideas on what I can do to get this back to factory-fresh-like mode? (To their credit, the shop has agreed to reimburse me the cost for doing this.)

(Meanwhile, the speakers sound terrific! Ahh, but at what price ...)

------------------
- JD

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Write to Honda customer relations in California, with pictures, copy of pages from shop manual and all details. I had to do this in order to get a connector to fit the trailer plug on my Accord. It took a while, but they finally sent me one.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR
Honda "Masters" GXV140, 135 cc. mower

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color=red>Write to Honda customer relations in California, with pictures, copy of pages from shop manual and all details.</font>

Check. (If you have the address, please send - meanwhile I'll look for it.)

Hmm. The shop manual. Next dumb question - where to get one of those?

- JD

[This message has been edited by jdandrea (edited 01-03-2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh! Got on www.ahm-ownerlink.com ... called their customer relations department.

Apparently I have to order the tweeters, the connector, AND the cable run. A little more investigation revealed they were really just guessing though. Grr ...

They recommended I call AMP and hunt down one of their folks who knows about the part. Oh yeah, riiiiight.

Hmm. Can anyone with the time and inclination CHECK their Ody (I have a 2001 EX w/o Navi) and see if they can get a JPEG and/or other identifying marks/codes off their connector for the tweeter in the dash?

Pretty please? :)

Meanwhile, I've found <a href="http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/bin/TE.Connect?C=11334&F=0&M=CINF&N=0&LG=1&I=42&RQS=S~14586^P~74183,238^M~FEAT^G~G">this</a>.

- JD

[This message has been edited by jdandrea (edited 01-03-2002).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Looks like it will be simpler to get matching AMP connector from your installer and attach it to the wires from the Honda tweeter. Then you can hook up Honda tweeters when you sell the van.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font color=red>Looks like it will be simpler to get matching AMP connector from your installer ...</font>

Agreed! If only they knew which connector to get.

And that's the gotcha. No-one seems to know. Not the installer, not Honda.

If anyone can manage to get a JPEG of their tweeter's connector (either side will do), that will help immensely! I'll also ask some other Honda owners in the neighborhood if they're willing to let me pry one open. We'll see ...

------------------
- JD

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey JD,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hate to hear that happen to people when they go to a shop...

The connector you are interested in is a 2 pin standard connector used all over Honda vehicles. Problem is the side of the connector usually available is the wrong side. You need the female end of the connector to replace what was in the dash. What you can obtain readily from Honda and other places is the male end. This connector is used for door lock/unlock interface for car alarms, for the SRS (SCS) service connector, etc...

I'll keep my eyes peeled, and will let you know if I find a source for it. If I get a chance to take a pic, I'll post it.
Good Luck!

p.s.- I know this isn't what you want to hear, but why not just let it be? If you want to "restore" it back at some later point, just hard-wire the factory tweets back up, or use some other off the shelf quick crimp type connector. My thinking is that all you want to do is be able to restore factory appearance if/when you sell the vehicle. If that's the case, I wouldn't go through too much more effort, personally.. Just a thought.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 01-04-2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font color=red>
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hate to hear that happen to people when they go to a shop...
</font>

Live and learn, right?

Thanks very much for that connector info!

<font color=red>What you can obtain readily from Honda and other places is the male end.</font>

I had a feeling, though the Honda parts dept. folks I spoke to claimed no such part existed. (Have to say that's par for the course though!)

Thanks for offering to snag a picture if you can get at it. What I may do is check AMP's web site and see if there's a match on the part # somehow (presuming it's molded in to the casing).

<font color=red>... why not just let it be?</font>

A perfectly valid question! Why not indeed? Could be just part of my (twisted?) nature.

Seriously, the desire stemmed more from wanting to keep things in the car 100% returnable to factory-fresh condition, connectors included. It's partly due to a promise I had made to my darling wife, who actually blessed my little pet project for the Ody (replacing the headunit among other things). Also partly due to me wanting the installer to make good! Since they're willing to reimburse me for it, why not?

But yes, worst case, we leave it be.

------------------
- JD

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Seriously, the desire stemmed more from wanting to keep things in the car 100% returnable to factory-fresh condition, connectors included. It's partly due to a promise I had made to my darling wife,</font>
I'm 100% with you here. We must have the same darling wife.

But shinjohn is right. You tried, and gave it your best effort; but now that things are how they are, just work with what you've got given that it's not really a big deal.

I think you'll find that in the end, 5 or so years down the road, you'll forget about this completely and when you do remember it just won't matter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recieved a pair of Honda tweeters that I am going to put in My LX. I will not be using the ends. Do you need the hardshell and male terminals.Not much left when you cut them off. Since your dealer goofed,tell em I need two pair of Metra 72-7800 speaker connectors for my Honda and we can do a swap.

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font color=red>I'm 100% with you here. We must have the same darling wife.</font>

Ahh!

<font color=red>I think you'll find that in the end, 5 or so years down the road, you'll forget about this completely and when you do remember it just won't matter.
</font>

Very likely, yup. Plus, it's true - anyone I would sell the Ody to down the road (if at all, that is - you never know, we may just drive it into the ground, right?) ... I doubt they're going to put their own component speakers in there anyway.

Wow. This was all very therapeutic, wasn't it? (Maybe?)

- JD

[This message has been edited by jdandrea (edited 01-04-2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font color=red>I just recieved a pair of Honda tweeters that I am going to put in My LX. I will not be using the ends.</font>

Ahh! So much for the therapy. Heh-heh.

<font color=red>Do you need the hardshell and male terminals. Not much left when you cut them off.</font>

Yup, the whole shebang. I have no part of the connector whatsoever, neither piece.

<font color=red>Since your dealer goofed,tell em I need two pair of Metra 72-7800 speaker connectors for my Honda and we can do a swap.</font>

Suuuure. That's very generous of you. Thanks. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see if we can make this happen.

Interesting. Looking at this handy chart it seems as if the connector for the Ody (through 2000 anyway) is NOT AMP but the exact one you're referring to. Except it may be different for 2001 (I know, I know, so what!). I take it the connectors you have in your Odyssey aren't the 72-7800 then?

About the only thing I do recall about them is that they were not the same as the connectors for the other speakers. They were narrower and a tad longer.

- JD

[This message has been edited by jdandrea (edited 01-04-2002).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ends that I have came with the tweeters. The other harness ends should be part of the vehicle harness which I do not have.These tweeter should be the same for all years.Any further ? contact me at [email protected]

Chris

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<font color=red>The other harness ends should be part of the vehicle harness which I do not have.</font>

Correct! They should be ... provided they weren't clipped off (as they were in my case).

And so I seek the original connector from the manufacturer (or, as has been suggested elsewhere, forget about it).

I'll post soon WRT that other connector though.

- JD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts