Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the third seat in the compartment in the back to hide it. The unfortunate thing is that since I installed a seat cover, I tucked the strap inside not realizing the importance of the strap. Anyway, now I can't pull the seat back up. Brought it to the dealer & they said they have to unbolt the third seat. Looking at the bolts, they are mighty big.

I'm not going to ask if anyone has done this before because I think it's my stupidity that did this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My wife dropped the strap in.

I just lifted the seat by the handle on it's back while she dug for the strap, then dropped it back down. Then we used the strap to lift it.

I have a 2002 and don't remember if there's a difference here so forgive me if you've got an 01 and there's nothing to grab on the seat.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pummal:
Thanks for your reply. I've also got a 2002. Unfortunately I can't fish out the strap because its tucked inside the seat cover. I guess I'm stuck with the dealer removing the whole third seat out. A lesson that I will not forget.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can't you just shove your fingers along the edges to get a grip on the seat and then lift it out? Maybe try it with a couple of people if that helps. I find it hard to believe that the strap is the only way it'll come out as I'm sure it's not uncommon to leave the strap in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been able to pull my seat up and out just using the handle that adjusts the seat back. Probalby not the best way to do it, but at first I didn't realise that the strap was for that purpose...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unless your dealer is willing to do this for nothing, you can handle it yourself. I did the same thing in July on my '01, took it to the dealer, he reached under and pulled it out. Made me feel like a doofus. It's just tight. BTW, I cannot do it by just lifting the handle from the bottom of the seat cushion: the bottom moves up but the seatbact doesn't. Anyway, you can do it, I'm sure, without taking out bolts: that seems insane.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unless your dealer is willing to do this for nothing, you can handle it yourself. I did the same thing in July on my '01, took it to the dealer, he reached under and pulled it out. Made me feel like a doofus. It's just tight. BTW, I cannot do it by just lifting the handle from the bottom of the seat cushion: the bottom moves up but the seatbact doesn't. Anyway, you can do it, I'm sure, without taking out bolts: that seems insane, but then I could be DumbDora.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vquan:
Don't have enough space for my fingers to fit and grab the seat at the bottom. But thanks for the idea.

Pearsonrj:
It's really tight. When you pull it up, it would seem that it's locked somewhere. doesn't want to budge.

Merpsmom:
Can't reach the strap because it's inside the seat covers. Anyway, you said it right. Bull's eye!!! The customer service person (a lady) said that because it was new (around 1200 mi.), I never had an Ody before and she feels it was an honest mistake on my part
, she wasn't charging me for the 1.5 hrs. labor eventhough the service dept. wanted to.
(a really big smile). They took the seat covers out and said not to put it back on if I was going to hide the 3rd seat. She even apologized for letting me wait longer than what she told me of 1 - 1.25hrs. However, she said that if I come back to the dealer again with that same problem, I will get whipped & charged for the crime.

Woohoo!!! Got away free (this time).

Thanks to all for your inputs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm glad they did this for no charge but I'm appauled at the notion of 1.5 hr labor. I've unbolted mine and taken it out to see if there is any type of adjustment to make it lay completely flush. It involves removing 4 8mm bolts and simply lifting the seat out. It took me 5 minuets at the most.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I was getting a good deal. They showed me the big bolt that hinges the whole seat. One on each side. And it's big.

Now, I've stopped jumping for joy. I should go back and tell them about the 4 8mm bolts.

For my own sake, I should probably look for that 8mm bolt just to see how to take it out just in case. Thanks Tomhan.

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
I thought I was getting a good deal. They showed me the big bolt that hinges the whole seat. One on each side. And it's big.

Now, I've stopped jumping for joy. I should go back and tell them about the 4 8mm bolts.

For my own sake, I should probably look for that 8mm bolt just to see how to take it out just in case. Thanks Tomhan.
</font>
Try this:

Fold your seat down into the cargo hold.

At each corner of the seat where the hindge is attached, pull back the carpet a few inches.

You will see two bolts on each side that fasten the seat to the hindge. You may have to lift up on the rubber boot a little. Just remove the bolts and lift the seat out.

Tomhan

·
Registered
596 Posts
I do not understand your problem, unless the '02s are different. I have flipped my seat down into the well about a hundred times and have never used the strap. I do use the strap when the seat is in the up position and has the backrest folded down. The strap makes it easy to flip the seat back and into the well. I never realized the strap had any other function, since there is a grab handle with which to pull the seat up out of the well. On my '01, there is nothing to hold the seat in the well except what little friction there is between the carpet and the mouse hair which covers the seat. Mine folds and unfolds quite easily.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a similar problem soon after getting the van. I believe that my problem was related to an umbrella that was in the cargo area furthest from the bumper. I can't be sure, but I believe that it was causing a bind when I tried to lift the seat back out. Just a thought.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey brother... when in doubt... some duct tape and a plunger. put some duct tape on the back of the seat so you have a smooth texture free surface,,,then use the plunger to pull it up. all you need is a few inches to get a hand under. The closer to he back of the seat the better as there is less wieght on the plunger. McGyver aint got nothin on me.....
Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
HERE'S HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

The following is the message from another thread that helped me (I'd only like to add one more comment: SHOVE IT DOWN HARD to get it to latch):

johnkalajian

My magic seat got stuck too. The trick to getting it back out is to make sure that the seat back "clicks" into the closed position before putting the magic seat in the well. If the seat back isn't "clicked into the closed position", you won't be able to raise the magic seat out of the well-its physically stuck in the well. To get it back out, put your body weight onto the folded seat assembly in the well-you should hear the latch mechanism click, and then you should be able to lift the magic seat out without a problem. Worked for me (twice now). I think the problem was caused by adding an aftermarket leather kit, causing a slight increase in the size (thickness) of the seats and seat back, making it more susceptible to not locking correctly.

'01 TW EX-N; Honda Care 7/100/0; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, splash guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Matsuka leather kit; Dashtopper, Zaino'd, Honda Nose Mask; Colgan Mirror Bras; Kelton Subwoofer; cross bars; Alpine CHM-S620 CD Changer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts