Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my valve cover gaskets and I screwed up the torque amounts for the five 10mm bolts (I thought it was 16 foot pounds so I went for 14 to be conservative, apparently it was supposed to be 8.7!!). The other 4 are installed and the fifth I could feel let go but it feels still partially attached. I'm hoping to get another couple years out of the car at the most so what should I do?

I'm worried that if I try to remove it and the threads are broken flush, then I'm really up a creek.
If I leave it, I think it will be okay but could eventually leak (again, only trying to get another year or two out of her (over 230k miles and having significant issues).

Thoughts?
Thank you,

·
Registered
617 Posts
Most likely it is broken at the head so you should have extra to unscrew it with a pair of vise grip. You have to remove the valve cover and remove whatever is rest of the broken one out, and then try to install it back and replace the broken screw...and do not overtight it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great! Now I have to order another bolt since the dealerships are all closed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It sure wasn't torqued down a bunch, and if there is some broken bolt sticking out be careful not to break what's there. Another possible way to remove it is to get a nut to fit over the broke bolt and tack weld it to the screw, then turn the nut out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That would be great! Now I have to order another bolt since the dealerships are all closed.
It happens, Ironically I did my valve covers two days ago. Thanks God everything went well. In the past I have broken 3 bolts from 3 different car...so I have learned my lesson. If you have a junk yard you can go there and take a few bolts out. Remember that some are long and some short. Was it on the rear valve or the front?.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
If I leave it, I think it will be okay but could eventually leak
Sorry to read of your misadventure. It happens to the best of us. ;)

Your valve cover will leak with one broken bolt.

Fingers crossed that replacing it will go smoothly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was it on the rear valve or the front?.
It was the front, so access is easier. However the bolt broke at the threads so it is difficult to reach. I would usually try to drill it out, but the angle of the head doesn't allow me to access it with any of my drills (the radiator support is too close). I need a right-angle drill. I'm heading to NAPA to see what those guys think. If I can at least get the bolt out, I can then reinstall most everything as the bolt is still pretty accessible even with everything installed. There were so many electric and hose connections that had to be disconnected to do this job, I'm worried I'll forget about one (or three) of them if I let too much time go by!! :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I had a broken bolt a few years ago on my home during the hurricane season installing my shutters. One of the screw broke off at the thread. Try to drill it out without good results. It left a bit of the thread out ...so I did this....it came out after I let it dry for 24 hours. Share a photo of how it looks like...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure how to start an indention in the stuck bolt (using a drill bit) without hitting the sides of the hole and messing up the threads.
Trying to find a nut that I can put over the hole to protect the threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Use a center punch to make a start point for the bit. I have had success using a concrete nail (hard and sharp). Get it as close to dead center as possible. Drill with a small bit first. It's less likely to jump out of the divet. Then switch to the correct bit.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
OP, have you tried driving the car, and seeing if it actually leaks. If the broken bolt is on the 'high' side of the valve cover, it may not leak at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently broke mine. It was on the back side up top right side. I tried to drill it out but ended up messing the threads and could not get the bolt part out that was left in the threads because not much of the broken bolt was sticking out of the head. I left it as is and put the rest of the bolts in and used a product called Permatex Right Stuff. I put the product underneath the gasket, then I put it on the side of the valve cover near where the broken bolt is and where it meets the head. I put the bolt grommet over the bolt hole and put more Permatex over the grommet to seal that hole. I have been running the van for a number of weeks and have not seen or smelled any leaks or burning oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a follow up. After finally investing in a right-angle drill and much drilling, I was able to get the bolt out without catastrophic damage to the threads ( I was literally praying and thanking God at that point!). I’ve got all the bolts in now and they are properly torqued down. Now I’m just hoping I used enough RTV sealant on the back cover! Thanks guys for the helpful advice. I still need to reinstall the intake manifold and all that fun. Maybe tomorrow evening if I’m lucky.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just a follow up. After finally investing in a right-angle drill and much drilling, I was able to get the bolt out without catastrophic damage to the threads ( I was literally praying and thanking God at that point!). I’ve got all the bolts in now and they are properly torqued down. Now I’m just hoping I used enough RTV sealant on the back cover! Thanks guys for the helpful advice. I still need to reinstall the intake manifold and all that fun. Maybe tomorrow evening if I’m lucky.
Once that bad boy is back on... putting everything back is a piece of cake.... don't forget to place the air manifold gasket back into place and replace the throttle body gasket as well. Just did mine last week

·
Registered
617 Posts
I recently broke mine. It was on the back side up top right side. I tried to drill it out but ended up messing the threads and could not get the bolt part out that was left in the threads because not much of the broken bolt was sticking out of the head. I left it as is and put the rest of the bolts in and used a product called Permatex Right Stuff. I put the product underneath the gasket, then I put it on the side of the valve cover near where the broken bolt is and where it meets the head. I put the bolt grommet over the bolt hole and put more Permatex over the grommet to seal that hole. I have been running the van for a number of weeks and have not seen or smelled any leaks or burning oil.
This was my nightmare when I was tighting those bolts in the back... thanks God everything went smooth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changed both vc gaskets on my 2002 ody without pulling the intake as the manuals tell you to do the back one was a little rough and time consuming but was able to get it done. If you follow the manual you have to drain all the coolant out and take off a whole lot of big parts and possibility of breaking more bolts. No need for permatex gasket materials if you use honda style vc gaskets.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Changed both vc gaskets on my 2002 ody without pulling the intake as the manuals tell you to do the back one was a little rough and time consuming but was able to get it done. If you follow the manual you have to drain all the coolant out and take off a whole lot of big parts and possibility of breaking more bolts. No need for permatex gasket materials if you use honda style vc gaskets.
Wow can't imagine taking the valve covers without removing the "air intake manifold". Maybe is different for gen 2 ody. On the gen 3 the air intake manifold has to be removed per manual and as well hondabond or any gasket Maker need to be used in four spots.

Rear valve cover after being removed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts