Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll try to keep this brief:
My wife and I have a 3-year-old, a 1-year-old and an embryo due in May. We also have a dog. Time to sell the Audi A4 and get a minivan...duh! So I've spent a few weeks doing research, and the Odyssey is a clear favorite, even with a dealer markup. Problem is this - my wife does not want to spend more than $23K.
Well, I have gone around in circles - a new Kia Sedona, a 2000 Windstar SE, a 1997/98/99 Odyssey, a 2000 Mazda MPV? I keep on coming back to a 2002 Odyssey EX, for the following reasons:

Very low depreciation
Excellent safety rating
Good size
Good power
Good reliability (unlike Windstar/Voyager/Town & Country)
You don't save much buying a used Odyssey as the depreciation is so low...
Even if we sold it in a couple of years I'm sure that it would have cost us less than a used Ford/DC, what with repairs and depreciation.

So, to the point - has anybody been faced with the same situation? Any other suggestions that I can use to persuade my wife that the extra 5 or 6K is well worth it for peace of mind, safety etc.?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
O. Problem is this - my wife does not want to spend more than $23K.

</font>
How about a compromise and try to see if she will go for the 2002 LX for about 25K. You will miss out on some of the EX features but engine and tranny are the same.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have her read a few thousand of the posts on the d/c or windstar message boards about what a p.o.s. those cars are. That should help convince her.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Another serious consideration should be a 2000, or 2001 Ody. I'm wondering why those are missing from the list? Might fit the bill perfectly as an excellent compromise.

If anybody ever needed a minivan, it's your family! I was starting to feel tight with ONE child and a dog.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
I haven't had a date in months (well, years actually, but that's a different story)
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, the LX has all the basic goodness inherent in the Odyssey. If you can get by without some of the bells and whistles, you will have a very nice machine at a very reasonable price. The auto industry (and lots of other folks) have convinced us that we "need" a lot of "stuff" on our vehicles, when it is not really true. Honda is to be congratulated for offering the great powertrain and traction control on their entry level model. Many of us "like" a lot of "stuff" and that's fine, too. Ya pays yer money and ya takes your choice........

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
56 Posts
The safest and most powerful mini-van. Safety sells. Power? Ask her to try the MPV. It doesn't even come close. I know that because I just sold mine for a new Ody.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You might try to get her to focus on the monthly payment...ya know, like the dealerships do
Seriously, you can do a lot of creative things to get your payments where you want them. I certainly didn't want to buy a $30k minivan, but decided to get one of those "GRIP" or "FLEX" loans that credit unions offer (http://www.jdccu.org/encounter_lending/flex_ln.html). The resale is so good on the Odyssey that I should be sitting really good when the loan/lease is up.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
She's looking at the up-front cost and not the cost of ownership.

How long will you have this vehicle? If it's for any length of time, you need to estimate the out-of-pocket TOTAL that you'll spend to drive that vehicle.

Spend the $25K for an LX and know that you'll more than save that extra $2k over the course of 5 or 6 years, when compared to a Kia or Dodge or Ford.

Don't let your wife be one of those people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you test-driven the various minivans? The test drive was the kicker for us. The Ody blew away the other vans we drove (Sienna & MPV). After the test drive, the Ody was a hands-down choice for both me and my wife even with the higher price (and I'm the kind of guy who ponders for months about what kind of socks to buy and then waits a few more months for them to go on sale). It's bigger, stronger, roomier, magic 3rd row, plus, it's a Honda (yes, it's ugly, but show me a minivan that isn't).

Work on getting your wife to first agree to the 02 LX, then start working on moving her up to the EX. You'll pay a few thousand more for the EX, but either you'll recoup your money if you sell it in a few years, or if you decide to keep the van for 10-12 years, the yearly cost for moving to the EX is only $200 or so (2000/10). So the EX isn't THAT much more expensive over the life of the car.

Believe me, I'm cheap, and I've convinced myself with that logic!

good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts, folks. I will definitely try to persuade her on the LX over the next few weeks, then try my luck at convincing her of the value of the extra gadgets on the EX. I'm also thinking I might wait until the end of the year to see if the increased production from the U.S. plant will cause dealers to at least settle for MSRP, maybe a few hundred below (I know, but you can dream, can't you?). We don't need it until the new year, and I'd rather wait and get the right vehicle, than rush in and end up getting something else where I will be thinking 'I bet the Odyssey would have been nicer'. FYI - I did a test-drive on a 2000 EX with Navi, dealer-installed leather, and an aftermarket VES. It drove very nicely indeed. The dealer was asking over $30,000 for it! With over 30,000 miles on it! I also saw an '01 EX with 19K on it in the newspaper today, asking $29K! You can get a 2002 EX-L for $31.5K out-the-door!

Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Add this to the argument. The van I owned before the Odyssey was/is a Plymouth Grand Voyager, now called the Chrysler Town and Country. I still own this van because my son turned 16 this summer and we needed a third vehicle. Anyway, here is the short list of repairs that I have had to do on the Voyager in the last two years. One transmissions rebuilds - $1800, two water pumps - $200 each, one fuel pump - $410, and now the transmission is acting up. Can you say money pit!

I think I'm going to get it running one last time and trade it in on a Civic!

Good luck, we love our RRP EX Odyssey.

-John

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought the '02 LX and am adding the CD and alarm w/auto door locks aftermarket. This helps me spread out the cost. I couldn't do leather this way, but I just remind myself what a great machine it is and I get over the leather.

Good luck.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm also thinking I might wait until the end of the year to see if the increased production from the U.S. plant will cause dealers to at least settle for MSRP, maybe a few hundred below (I know, but you can dream, can't you?). </font>
I got my 02 EXL-RES for $500 under MSRP...It's not impossible, not at all. Be willing to travel.

And FWIW, having seen the factory leather next to the standard cloth, there's no way I would have been happy with the cloth.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why even bother persuading? I ordered my 2002 Odyssey two months ago and I didn't even tell my wife(I hope she is not reading this). I will tell her when I pick up the van that it is a surprise Christmas gift for the whole family. Besides, she doesn't know anything about car or van, and I am the one who is driving it. Telling her only complicate the matter. Don't take my advice if your wife might kill you.

Thanks for all the posts, folks. I will definitely try to persuade her on the LX over the next few weeks, then try my luck at convincing her of the value of the extra gadgets on the EX. I'm also thinking I might wait until the end of the year to see if the increased production from the U.S. plant will cause dealers to at least settle for MSRP, maybe a few hundred below (I know, but you can dream, can't you?). We don't need it until the new year, and I'd rather wait and get the right vehicle, than rush in and end up getting something else where I will be thinking 'I bet the Odyssey would have been nicer'. FYI - I did a test-drive on a 2000 EX with Navi, dealer-installed leather, and an aftermarket VES. It drove very nicely indeed. The dealer was asking over $30,000 for it! With over 30,000 miles on it! I also saw an '01 EX with 19K on it in the newspaper today, asking $29K! You can get a 2002 EX-L for $31.5K out-the-door!

Richard
</font>

------------------

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my wife might very well kill me if I went ahead and spent $25-30K without telling her. Although she has next to no interest in cars (until she drives one that is, then she can find stuff to complain about...), she is an accountant by profession and it is very hard to justify major purchases to her. I, on the other hand, am the sort of person who says 'what, $250 a month in car payments?, I'm sure we can squeeze that into our overall budget without too much problem, besides its such a nice car...'. This is the cause of much marital strife between us, as I'm sure you can imagine...

Anyway, over the weekend I prepared (don't laugh) a four-page business case for buying a 2002 Honda Odyssey, and gave it to my wife. It included information on safety, performance, reliability, independent reviews, and resale value. Having read it my wife grudgingly agreed to buy one. YEAH!

So, at some point in the next week, I suspect I will be putting down a non-refundable deposit for an EX, EX-L or EX-L RES (not sure which yet), with the intention of getting it before the end of the year. We have a 6-day vacation planned in Las Vegas with my in-laws at the beginning of January, and currently have reserved a rental minivan (Windstar) from Budget for the drive from San Francisco to LV and back. I would REALLY love to have our Odyssey for that trip... it's what it is tailor-made for.

Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
pearsonrj,

Another way to lower the total cost of ownership is through some creative financing. If you own a home and have some equity built up, you should look into a Home Equity Line of Credit. The current interest rates are very competitive and the interest is tax deductible. Your monthly payment will be the same but you receive a deduction for the interest paid come tax time.

Hope you enjoy your new Ody.

-John

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
...I will be putting down a non-refundable deposit...Richard</font>
I really
balk at the idea of a non-refundable deposit for cars.

If the buyer doesn't take the car, the dealer doesn't lose any money. In fact he might be able to sell it for more money because he has it in stock and there is such a high demand for Odysseys!

We have been jerked around enough by dealers to know not to put down a non-refundable deposit.

The dealer who finally provided out Ody wanted only $100 refundable in advance. Others in the area wanted either $500 refundable or non-refundable.

We didn't plan on backing out of our first deal, but the dealer played games with the delivery of our '01. When it arrived it somehow showed up with ~$3,000 in options we didn't want
. Even with the deposit being refundable, it took quite an effort to get it back.

Actually, we should be thankful to this dealer - he delayed our purchase long enough so that we ended up buying an '02!.

If this last dealer hadn't worked out, we were prepared to buy from a dealer out of the area rather than get jerked around again.

IMHO,

Maugham

[This message could have been edited by Maugham, but it wasn't. (Not edited on 10-22-2001)]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, I meant REFUNDABLE deposit, not non-refundable. And I agree, a non-refundable deposit is a joke on a vehicle that is in demand the way the Ody is. They can sell it off the lot in a few days if you back out.

And thanks for the suggestion on the home equity line of credit. That is EXACTLY what we are looking at. I think rates will only go down over the next year or so, which is when the bulk of the interest will be paid, and the HELOC is variable rate. We're also looking at the possibility of borrowing from 401k, but I think the HELOC is cleaner and I hate to touch my retirement money in any shape or form... we'd only be financing about $12K for three or four years.

Richard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I guess you are a better man than me, but congratulation on your effort. I would hate to have to write a four pages business case everytime I want to buy something. I guess this is also the price of marrying a smart lady. Any way, if you plan to buy an EX-L or EX-L RES, plan to spend over $31,000.

Well, my wife might very well kill me if I went ahead and spent $25-30K without telling her. Although she has next to no interest in cars (until she drives one that is, then she can find stuff to complain about...), she is an accountant by profession and it is very hard to justify major purchases to her. I, on the other hand, am the sort of person who says 'what, $250 a month in car payments?, I'm sure we can squeeze that into our overall budget without too much problem, besides its such a nice car...'. This is the cause of much marital strife between us, as I'm sure you can imagine...

Anyway, over the weekend I prepared (don't laugh) a four-page business case for buying a 2002 Honda Odyssey, and gave it to my wife. It included information on safety, performance, reliability, independent reviews, and resale value. Having read it my wife grudgingly agreed to buy one. YEAH!

So, at some point in the next week, I suspect I will be putting down a non-refundable deposit for an EX, EX-L or EX-L RES (not sure which yet), with the intention of getting it before the end of the year. We have a 6-day vacation planned in Las Vegas with my in-laws at the beginning of January, and currently have reserved a rental minivan (Windstar) from Budget for the drive from San Francisco to LV and back. I would REALLY love to have our Odyssey for that trip... it's what it is tailor-made for.

Richard
</font>

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts