Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve read for years about the piston replacement warranty but never needed it.

2012 odyssey 130k miles. Always dealer serviced and had purchased extended 8 year / 120k warranty.

just this morning the check engine (solid) and traction control light came on. Car seems to be driving fine, perhaps a slight shutter.

oil level fine, no leak on alternator.

going to autozone after work for codes to be pulled.

My question is will Honda cover part of the fix if I escalate (original owner). Or if the problem is the pistons, can I just change the spark plugs and muzzle? I’m confused to if that would correct the issue or I need the full replacement done first.

many advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Determine the codes first. That should direct you. Yes muzzle and new plugs will be a good move. Did you already have service done at 105K miles for the timing belt and plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Determine the codes first. That should direct you. Yes muzzle and new plugs will be a good move. Did you already have service done at 105K miles for the timing belt and plugs?

yes. Timing belt and water pump done. They did not mention plugs. (I don’t think they’ve ever been done actually)?

Going to autozone now.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Wow. That would be a first. A dealer not selling services that are on the maint. schedule!

• Haha
Reactions: John U and dvpatel

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,588 Posts
It is extremely unlikely that Honda will be willing to pay for the ring replacement, if it turns out that is their diagnosis. The warranty extension was for 8 years from the vehicle's in-service date so unless you somehow bought your 2012 brand new in late 2013, you're probably SOL. Honda has had the end of 2021 circled on their calendar for a long time now, just waiting for this liability to come off their books - the last few posters who have reached out for help here have indicated increasingly unsympathetic responses from their dealer.

The good news is that you don't really have to go that way. New spark plugs and a VCM disable device should have you right as rain for about $300.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
can I just change the spark plugs and muzzle?
Yes, you should do both regardless of the codes.

If the codes indicate VCM damage, it will very probably fix itself once the root cause (VCM) is addressed by the muzzler. (If your oil life remaining is less than 50%, do an oil/filter change too. The fresh detergents will assist the recovery. Don't reset the Maintenance Minder.)

If the codes indicate something else, deal with that as needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok. Guys thanks for the responses.

left autozone. The error code is the P0303 misfire no.3 cylinder. Maintenance minder is 60%

so this is what I plan on doing:

new plugs (ngk right, best place to get, need 6?)
Ordering vcm 2 (best one right, already ordered!)
put some cleaner in tank
Drive hard

also, change plugs and wait for muzzler, or muzzle first then change plugs?)

thoughts??

sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
change plugs and wait for muzzler, or muzzle first then change plugs?
Replace the spark plugs now. New ones may help with the misfires.

It shouldn't be 1,000's of miles before you get the muzzler?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,588 Posts
Ok. Guys thanks for the responses.

left autozone. The error code is the P0303 misfire no.3 cylinder. Maintenance minder is 60%

so this is what I plan on doing:

new plugs (ngk right, best place to get, need 6?)
Ordering vcm 2 (best one right, already ordered!)
put some cleaner in tank
Drive hard

also, change plugs and wait for muzzler, or muzzle first then change plugs?)

thoughts??

sorry for all the questions.
The order you do things has more to do with how quickly you need the van functioning again, but the spark plugs need to be the priority.

If you need it running right now, change the plugs, clear the codes and wait for the VCMTuner II to show up. If you can afford to not drive the van until the VCMTuner II shows up, do the plugs and VCMTuner at the same time. Don't drive it until you can get the spark plugs done.

As for where to get the spark plugs, a Honda dealer is an obvious reliable choice (but probably an expensive one). Any reputable bricks-and-mortar auto parts store would also be OK. You can check NGK's website for authorized retailers in your area. Of you want to order online, Rock Auto is good and there is an Odyclub discount code you can use.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave,

Ordered from vcmtuner.com. They only have 5-7 day shipping available at the moment.

Picking up plugs today. Will install tomorrow most likely. Oil level is fine, but will add a bit if needed. Maintenance minder 60-%

Wife needs van, drives about 300-400 miles every 1.5 weeks.

I should be ok?

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I should be ok?
Sounds like a good plan.

It took 130,000 miles to get here. Another 500 until the muzzler arrives won't make a material difference.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
If you wanted to be super safe, you could replace the plugs to take care of the misfire and then cause a CEL to disable VCM temporarily until your VCMTuner II arrives. Maybe something like intentionally leaving the gas cap loose to set a CEL for that. Should be harmless but it would disable VCM.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Spark plugs changed. A tiny bit of oil on spark plug 3 thread . Switched that coil pack as well to another location to test.

Will see what happens while I wait for muzzler to arrive. Also, will add Techron? After muzzle?

Hoping this fixes the problem.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,588 Posts
Update:
Will see what happens while I wait for muzzler to arrive. Also, will add Techron? After muzzle?
Optional. It probably won't help much to free up the piston rings, but there's no downside to trying.
Agree with @davedrivesody - the Techron won't do much (or really anything) for the piston rings. Practically none of it actually gets that far.

I think Techron or Regane get suggested because they could possibly help with cleaning up the rest of the combustion chamber where the concentration of fuel (and the cleaner) is higher. If nothing else, your fuel injectors and intake valves will be in tip-top shape to help the engine gradually recover from VCM-related fouling.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They were blackish but not sure if that’s just cause they are original with 130k miles on them? No error codes since replacing. (Only driven like 30 miles)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
Old spark plugs should be somewhat brownish if there's no fouling. So definitely sounds like yours were fouled up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok just received and installed vcm tuner ii.
So far so good!! Engine feels amazing (only drove 10 miles so far). Hopefully with the muzzle and new plugs I’ll get many more miles out of the ody. Thanks for the help!

I thought my temp needle was supposed to be more towards cold side. But it’s almost same spot it’s always been, perhaps a tiny bit lower. Normal?

thanks Again!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,588 Posts
I thought my temp needle was supposed to be more towards cold side. But it’s almost same spot it’s always been, perhaps a tiny bit lower. Normal?
Yes, that's normal. The VCMTuner II allows the reported temperature to rise so close to the fully warmed up temperature (163F reported vs 170F fully warmed up) that the difference isn't really obvious on the coolant temperature gauge.

The coolant temperature gauge is little more than an idiot light anyway - it only really registers very cold, normal and very hot. It doesn't function like an actual thermometer (which is what 99.9% of the driving population thinks). The gauge gets its input from the PCM and not the temperature sensor so the data is smoothed by the time you look at the needle for a reading.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
77 Posts
Agree with @davedrivesody - the Techron won't do much (or really anything) for the piston rings. Practically none of it actually gets that far.

I think Techron or Regane get suggested because they could possibly help with cleaning up the rest of the combustion chamber where the concentration of fuel (and the cleaner) is higher. If nothing else, your fuel injectors and intake valves will be in tip-top shape to help the engine gradually recover from VCM-related fouling.
Redline SL-1 is 30-40% PEA by volume.
It's my go to for a full combustion cleaner.
It will even clean your EGR valve.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts