Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 which I love, and it is my second Ody, as the wife totalled the first. Anyway, some of the LED lights no longer work in the highmount brake light, and was wondering how to get fixed or replaced? Dealer wants $275 or something stupid for the replacement........not gonna happen!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The module comes out EASY, so take it out and see if it's just corrosion on the solder joints, or find a used one at a wrecker.

Wreckers are inter-connected, and can search for anything.

Ours died completely because salt water got into the connector. Never seen the LEDs fail seperately. :-(

·
Registered
18 Posts
GenOne said:
The module comes out EASY, so take it out and see
So how does it come out EASY? I've been trying to remove the black trim piece around the LED to get at the washer nozzle, without any luck. I've removed the (5) bolts inside the hatch but it's still pretty firmly attached. There's obviously something I'm missing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
286 Posts
There's two red end caps that have to come off first. They cover the screws that hold the LED into the black spoiler. You have to remove those first. Then you can take the spoiler off, but you shouldn't need to if I remember correct. I just did this to install my factory rear wing about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seems to me that the 3rd brake light with LED in the rear spoiler section of the Odyssey are not functioning. After removing the 2 screws on each side of the lens and having taking out the LED, I've tested it with a voltmeter and it's normal. The LED strip seems to be the issue. I didn't get into it too much, but is the light strip able to be disassembled? lens from the backing with the LEDS? Dealership doesn't stock it and will never stock it.
I don't have the option to go to salvage junk yards. As they're non existent around these parts.
Can I just retrofit a new strip of LED lights in a bar?

·
Registered
205 Posts
3rd brake light. does it function with a fuse in the fuse box? or is it incorporated in the housing?

Has anyone attempted or opened up the 3rd brake light strip before?

Which other year and model Hondas may be interchangeable with the ra1-ra3?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think that only the 1st gen Odyssey used that LED light strip. So 95-98 Ody and 96-99 Isuzu Oasis will fit.
Do you still need a replacement LED strip? I put a spoiler on my van and I can sell you my original LED strip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3rd Brake Light

did anyone solve the 3rd brake light problem? mine is also not working......I was able to remove the whole unit by removing the red covers and opening the 2 screws, but beyone that im still strugglin but is it possible to open the unit itself? and has anyone been able to fix a non working LED strip? is the fuse for this in the engine bay of in the footwell?

thanks for any help and advice in advance..................

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The LED is part of the brake light circuit, no separate fuse. When your brake lights activate, you should see 12v on that circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The LED unit appears to be a sealed unit, so i cant measure if its getting the voltage, even where the wires enter the unit, there is no connector to gain access, has anyone been able to open it and check?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes, the LED is a sealed unit. But there is a disconnect where you can measure the voltage. If you can't get at the disconnect, you can remove the whole spoiler by undoing the 5 bolts under the hatch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi again, just thinking about this, if there is no voltage there, would you have any suggestions as to next steps?

If there is voltage present at the input, then we assume the LED strip is not working, do we have to replace the whole unit, or are they repairable? (might be difficult to get hands on a replacement)

Thanks again.........

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No voltage would indicate a break in a wire somewhere. It goes down the right side of the hatch, and I suspect it connects up with the right taillight harness. Remove the spare tire to gain access to the right taillight. If you're lucky it could just be a bad connection with the ground. I don't have my shop manual handy to guide you with the details.
A quick test would be to ground one of your meter leads to the frame, and test for 12v on either pin of the connector. If you get voltage that would confirm a problem with the ground, either wire or connector. (Verify your ground by testing your right taillight connector!!) Although I do have a spare led available for a price, :cool: I suspect it may be your wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for all your help, my local man managed to swap the LED strip with anotherone, its not perfect but it works and gets me through the the local MOT, so im happy. Great car, we love it even if its 13 years old, it feels like it will go forever........interestingly just yesterday i found the some coolant leaks on the top of the rad.......the plastic part seems to be crakcing.....i put sanded it down and put some metal epoxy on it, hopefully that will seal it up........lets see.
thanks again

·
Registered
1996 Odyssey
34 Posts
thanks for all your help, my local man managed to swap the LED strip with anotherone, its not perfect but it works and gets me through the the local MOT, so im happy. Great car, we love it even if its 13 years old, it feels like it will go forever........interestingly just yesterday i found the some coolant leaks on the top of the rad.......the plastic part seems to be crakcing.....i put sanded it down and put some metal epoxy on it, hopefully that will seal it up........lets see.
thanks again
Hi. I know this is a really old post but I am still driving my '96 ody. Obtained it with low mileage from an elderly couple a fee years ago. Still runs great. My 2nd gen 1 ody. The individual bulbs in the 3rd brake light have been gradually been burning out and are now completely out. I know it's not an electrical problem but burnt bulbs. I read the above posts. I'm curious if you know how your mechanic was able to disassemble the light fixture and replace the bulbs? I'm very scared of breaking the unit as I'm sure they weren't designed to be disassembled, but replaced as a whole assembly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy keeping this old girl running in top shape.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Unless you're handy with a soldering iron, probably not worth the trouble to disassemble and replace the failed LEDs. Easier to replace the light (or the spoiler assembly) if you can find a Gen 1 in a u-pull yard.

·
Registered
1996 Odyssey
34 Posts
Unless you're handy with a soldering iron, probably not worth the trouble to disassemble and replace the failed LEDs. Easier to replace the light (or the spoiler assembly) if you can find a Gen 1 in a u-pull yard.
Actually, I am handy with a soldering iron. I'm happy to solder each bulb. What I'm worried about is damaging the plastic assembly taking it apart. Eheaney had a mechanic replace the lights with an LED strip. I'd be happy to do that or bulb replacement if I can open it up successfully.

·
Registered
1996 Odyssey
34 Posts
I also wanted to add that it is not likely I will be able to find a used light assembly that isn't mostly burned out like mine after 23 years if this gen out if production. I haven't been able to find any aftermarket light assemblies either, which would be my first choice. If anyone knows an aftermarket brand please let me know. Thanks in advance. Steve

·
Registered
1996 Odyssey
34 Posts
I think that only the 1st gen Odyssey used that LED light strip. So 95-98 Ody and 96-99 Isuzu Oasis will fit.
Do you still need a replacement LED strip? I put a spoiler on my van and I can sell you my original LED strip.
Hi. I know this post is very old. But is there any chance you still have that spare 3rd brake light? I'm still driving my '96 ody and need a replacement. They are even harder to come by these days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts