Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low beams on my odyssey are so dim I wonder sometimes if they are working. I'd like to replace the bulbs with something better but don't know which direction to go... halogen, xenon, led???

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would go with HID personally, which I did. Do a search on this site for XenonDepot and you'll see tons of reviews for their products. Or you can head over to to xenondepot.com for yourself and check them out.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
HID or LED. Keep in mind the stock headlight projectors are for halogen bulbs only. Sure HID/LED will fit in there but its not designed for it, you'll will not get the most light output you're looking for. You would need to swap out the halogen projector for HID projectors or LED projectors. Search the forums for more info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just replaced my bulbs with Sylvania silver star halogen bulbs . It makes an INCREDIBLE difference ie: You can clearly see way better

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes I tried the Sylvania's and they are brighter. Down side is the bulbs only lasted a year for me. I went back to OEM long life type bulbs and happy with the output. Plenty of folks have tried the HID kits and they seem to work well. I looked into LED's but they still are not up to the task IMHO. Are your lenses clear and bright reflectors? My daughters Civic has foggy lenses and I polished them at least twice now. Going to just replace the assembly the next time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went with the silver star hoping to get at least a year out of them ( They are slightly less bright than some of the other Sylvania Halogen bulbs ). If you get a year out of these the cost per month would be about the same as 2 XLarge Mcdonalds coffee's ( If bulbs bought on sale) A small price for GREAT night driving vision .Well worth it to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One other option for you: a light bar in the lower grill. I had one installed in my '08, my 2013 and my 2018 Elite. I could have maybe gotten by without it in the '18 due to the LED lights, but WOW! What a difference! I used a 22" 360 watt, 32000 lumen curved combination flood/spot bar for $69.99 and had it professionally installed for $100. We have so many deer in my rural area and it gives a much bigger edge to help avoid such collisions. I removed the lower grill and had it mounted there and it looks almost as if it were made for that purpose. It comes on only with the high beams and can be switched off. I also have not anyone fail to dim their lights when they are flashed at. It can be removed and the grill re-installed and it will be back to stock. If I lit up a law enforcement officer, he might take exception to its presence but I am VERY conscientious about switching back to low beams and I don't use it in populated areas. Here is the link for the one I used: LED Light bar Curved, AutoFeel 22" 360W 36000LM 8D Quad Row Spot Flood Combo Beam Lightbar Off Road Auto Work LED Light Bar for Truck Jeep ATV UTV Wrangler SUV Dodge Ram 4x4 Ford Golf

·
Registered
71 Posts
I notice the light bar you mention is Off-road only . If you are in a SUPER isolated rural area this could be an effective ( although illegal) way for you to see . It is still dangerous to any oncoming traffic ( If only for a second coming around a blind curve)

·
Registered
545 Posts
LOL I got flashed by a guy with a low mounted BAF LED light bar (on his lifted truck) driving the Subaru once. Damn near drove into him. Would have if he hadn't swerved off the road. Glad he could still see, cause I sure couldn't. F%$&ing idiot. ...on the plus side, it was a shallow ditch, so he didn't flip his rig.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah DO NOT install a light bar for use on public roads when there are other vehicles around lol. I can’t believe someone installed that on a brand new 2018 Elite that’s equipped with LED headlight and fog lights.

I have tried mutliple setups on our 2015 Touring and here are my thoughts/opinions.

I tried a plug plug and play H11 HID kit in the stock halogen projectors. The output was ok, not great. What I didn’t like was there was too much light bleeding above the cutoff. The stock halogen projectors didn’t manage the HID light as good as I hoped.

I then tried a plug plug and play H11 LED kit. Same story more or less but output was slightly LESS than stock. Pulled those right out.

I now have a full Bi-LED projector retrofit along with LED fog lights. See his thread for details. Output=spectacular!
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-2017-odyssey/325234-ultimate-headlight-foglight-mod-black-bezeled-headlights-led-projectors-led-fogs.html

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have tried mutliple setups on our 2015 Touring and here are my thoughts/opinions.

I tried a plug plug and play H11 HID kit in the stock halogen projectors. The output was ok, not great. What I didn’t like was there was too much light bleeding above the cutoff. The stock halogen projectors didn’t manage the HID light as good as I hoped.

I then tried a plug plug and play H11 LED kit. Same story more or less but output was slightly LESS than stock. Pulled those right out.

I now have a full Bi-LED projector retrofit along with LED fog lights. See his thread for details. Output=spectacular!
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-2017-odyssey/325234-ultimate-headlight-foglight-mod-black-bezeled-headlights-led-projectors-led-fogs.html
Here is the man! Learn from his experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars, do a retrofit either HID or LED. You won't regret it.
I also was using Plug n Play HID kit in the stock halogen projectors but wasn't really happy with the performance. Decided to do a HID retrofit and I don't regret it at all. Here are some pictures of mine. https://imgur.com/a/hD48l

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you're willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars, do a retrofit either HID or LED. You won't regret it.
I also was using Plug n Play HID kit in the stock halogen projectors but wasn't really happy with the performance. Decided to do a HID retrofit and I don't regret it at all. Here are some pictures of mine. https://imgur.com/a/hD48l
Thanks for the photo. It basically said what you need to know.

I tried PnP HID before but wasn't happy with the output. I ended up going back to OEM bulb and just live with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another option that would be much easier than a full retrofit would be to purchase a pair of used OEM HID headlights from a Elite. You’ll still spend a decent amount to get a mint pair that doesn’t have broken tabs, but it’s pretty easy to swap the headlights. I think the HID equipped vans have autoleveling feature which obviously wouldn’t function, but besides that they should be good to go. Just another option to think about.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The HID headlights were a top reason for the Elite purchase. I would not buy/lease a vehicle without This option. The halogens are just dull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another option that would be much easier than a full retrofit would be to purchase a pair of used OEM HID headlights from a Elite. You’ll still spend a decent amount to get a mint pair that doesn’t have broken tabs, but it’s pretty easy to swap the headlights. I think the HID equipped vans have autoleveling feature which obviously wouldn’t function, but besides that they should be good to go. Just another option to think about.
I don't think the OEM HID headlights will work in a non Elite edition. Unless I'm wrong I think you might have to redo the stock wiring to power up the ballast etc...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts