Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an on/off switch for an ultrasonic reverse sensor that I want to mount at the front
of my ‘01 EX. I already have some on the back already. Thus, I need an on/off switch to control
the front one. I like to put it where blank for the fog light is, left of the radio. The Honda dealer
I went to says the fog light switch only comes with the whole fog light kit, he says I can get a
Civic fog light switch for about $50 Cnd but he does not know whether it will fit. Will the Civic
fog light switch fit the Odyssey? Is there another on/off switch that I can use?

The ultrasonic sensor I’m using can be seen at: www.sonarvision.com, I got it at Canadian Tire
on sale at $49.99, regularly $59.99 Cnd. It’s not as nice as the ROSS one or the Poron, but it is
readily available in Canada and cheap.

Regards,

Paul

Edited Sept 19, 01 to fix URL

[This message has been edited by Saltygarfy (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you even need a switch for normal operation? Presumably if you weren't in range of an obstruction the unit wouldn't show any indicators except "On" and if you were near anything, you'd want it to let you know. Then when you turn the ignition off, the unit would go off.

I can see having a switch, but wouldn't it only be necessary as a convenience?

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The switch would be a convenience. Having driven my in-laws Mercedes where the sensors are
on all the time it gets annoying in stop and go traffic, people walking in front of your car in
downtown and in winter when snow get on them and they go off.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think that the fog light switch is available for about $60; check with hondapartsforyou.com.

That seems to me like a lot of money for a simple switch that would inaccurately indicate what it was for.

I'd suggest using the fog light "plug" as a mounting for a simpler switch, maybe a small toggle. This is really simple to remove/install. If you need an extra cover they're only about $3.00. It's also big enough to mount a simple LED to indicate either when the sensor is on or off.

Mel

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Saltygarfy,

A couple of other options would be those cheap switches from auto parts stores or those old style floor mounted foot switches you can hide under the carpet (not sure if they still around though).

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I decided to get a blank fog light switch cover (I got the fake wood dash) and put a Radio Shack lighted rocker switch on it for now.

I considered getting a Cruise Control switch which is $46 Cnd or $30 US and rub off the words “Cruise” with lacquer thinner. It looks so deep in the diagram on the dealer computer, I am not sure it would fit since I have not taken off the dash before. The mechanic says the Cruise switch has about six terminals on the back and I would have to figure out which was which.

I have never heard of a floor switch before. You learn something new every day.

Chuck, I love your FotoTime site, I learn so much from it. Keep it up.

Paul

·
1,484 Posts
Just FYI, I tried to do a similar thing during the VideoNAVI mod. Since I had a extra hazard switch from the EX to NAVI conversion I thought about using it as the toggle switch from the video signal to NAVI.

To my surprise the hazard switch could not fit in the fog light switch hole at all! So be aware that even though they look the same and have essentially the same shape they might not fit.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts