Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. Do any Odyclub members in the DC area have a recommendation on shops that do paintless dent repair?

Someone backed into my wife's 2011 Odyssey and she didn't get their contact info as she didn't notice any damage. Yes, we've already had a LONG discussion about that.

Anyway, there is a small dent on the rear bumper...not easy to see but I know it's there. My guess is that paintless dent repair will take care of it but I don't know who is good in Northern Virginia.

Thanks for any help...

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
If its just the bumper, I'd assume you can DIY it. Usually, the dent removal places remove dents from the metal panels. Bumpers come off easily for you to push out the dent depending on how DIY you are.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its just the bumper, I'd assume you can DIY it. Usually, the dent removal places remove dents from the metal panels. Bumpers come off easily for you to push out the dent depending on how DIY you are.
Thanks - I need to take a picture and post as "dent" isn't the best description. Essentially the impact was on the bumper and it forced a small crease to pop up on top of the bumper. I've tried to push it down and flatten but I'll try again.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Please do post a picture as that might help in the replies you get. :)

If the bumper has a crease, its next to impossible to remove creases not only in plastic but virtually any material. The paintless dent removal people also do not work on metal panels with creases as they can't fix it. You would need body work and repainting to completely remove a crease in either the bumper or the metal panels. If the paint is good, I'd just leave it alone as a repaint of the bumper is not going to look as good as the original if you're as picky as I.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks - I need to take a picture and post as "dent" isn't the best description. Essentially the impact was on the bumper and it forced a small crease to pop up on top of the bumper. I've tried to push it down and flatten but I'll try again.
You'll need a heat gun to go over the area (move it around and don't keep it on one area too long) and it needs to be sufficiently hot so that it is maleable enough to shape. The plastic is too hard to shape without heating. Take your time and it'll look as good as new. I successfully popped out a large dent in the bumper corner using this method. Oh yeah, wear gloves as the plastic will get too hot to touch.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
You'll need a heat gun to go over the area (move it around and don't keep it on one area too long) and it needs to be sufficiently hot so that it is maleable enough to shape. The plastic is too hard to shape without heating. Take your time and it'll look as good as new. I successfully popped out a large dent in the bumper corner using this method. Oh yeah, wear gloves as the plastic will get too hot to touch.
Interesting. I have never attempted a bumper repair. So, I assume you do this from the inside because the paint will get damaged if you do it from the outside. Right?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Interesting. I have never attempted a bumper repair. So, I assume you do this from the inside because the paint will get damaged if you do it from the outside. Right?
I actually use the heat gun over the bumper. Just make sure you keep moving it around (about 6-12" away) otherwise this might cause the paint to blister. I removed the tail-light and a couple of bumper screws from the back of the van, then worked my gloved hand into the inside corner. It does take a few minutes before it gets hot enough to push out the dent. For dents that protrude out, it's exactly the same process except that you're working from the outside and pushing it in which is a whole lot easier. You just keep working it like clay and eventually you won't be able to tell there was any damage. Look at it this way, you absolutely have nothing to loose. That was my first attempt and it came out beautifully.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just be really careful with the heat gun. My son and I were installing some Dynamat in his car a couple years ago, and we accidentally let the gun come in momentary contact with... his arm :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts