Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The web is full of pictures of the IAC valve on a 2000 Odyssey, but where is it located? I have a manual that shows a wire-frame drawing, but can some please post an actual pic of the location? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't have a picture but on the '02 Ody, it's a black plastic piece located on the bottom of the throttle body. It's the dumbest location ever to put an IAC valve. You have to remove the air intake duct, remove coolant hoses, and remove the throttle cables to get the throttle body off. It should be the same on an '00 model. Once you take the air intake duct off, you will be able to see it better. I had a surging problem and replacing this fixed it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I searched the forum for P0505 and surging problems, and it pointed me to the IAC valve, hence the question. Incidentally, I read where someone rev'd the engine to rid of it, and I just now did that, and the surging stopped. I'll have to clear the codes now and see if it happens again. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe that will do the trick. I tried that revving procedure too and it didn't work. I also removed the IAC valve, cleaned it out and that didn't work either. If you need to buy one, it has Denso on it. I bought it last November from Advance Auto for $89 with tax and the same exact part from Honda was $100 more. I'm in Fayetteville so the price should be the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Damn, just went to advanceautoparts.com and the price went up $40! It's now $126.99. They must be selling a lot of these.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
They are probably in short supply because of the earthquake in Japan. Law of supply and demand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wishful thinking on my part, the problem is back. I ordered the part from Han Auto Parts for $80.00.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You should also check the wires on the power steering switch which causes similar problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great.

A month back, I half-way filled tank with 93 octane gas and added fuel injection cleaner. When my Ody started experiencing the symptom, I just rev'ed the engine up, and it disappeared. The problem recurred, but I rev'ed it up again, and now it's gone, at least for 6 weeks now. I did get an IAC valve, and if it recurs, I will probably go ahead and replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced iac valve on 2000 ody and now have a p0505 check engine light plus the surging idle. What should I check besides a faulty iac valve?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Remove the IAC connector while the engine is idling. If the engine continues to surge, the new IAC valve may be defective. Was it OEM?

A broken power steering sensor wire will also cause surging, but AFAIK it won't throw a code. The fuel system is acting correctly but on incorrect information.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts