Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Need Stereo/Audio Help

1323 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  2011.2017.odyssey
Hey guys and gals,

I am new to this forum and have recently bought a family tactical vehicle (2011 EX-L with RES). The stock speakers were terrible, so I upgraded them to some aftermarket speakers. They sound better, but they seem to nee a lot more power. I am planning to upgrade the subwoofer also. I would REALLY like to keep the stock stereo. Questions for the group:

1. Can I replace the stock amplifier in the LEFT rear panel behind the rear seat with an aftermarket amplifier?

2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock system?

3. Does that stock amplifier just run the sub or all the door speakers?

4. Would like to just install an amplifier to run the upgraded door speakers and the sub. Is this possible without a complete overhaul?

Is this worth it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Any help is appreciated
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
575 Posts
You'll probably find many threads on this in the Audio Visual subforum, including some wiring diagrams. Having just installed speakers in the 3rd row, I can confirm that you can install a new Amp and wire up speakers and the sub without disrupting the stock control panels and displays.

I went cheap and only powered the 3rd row speakers with the new Amp, leaving the first and second row stock and it is embarrassing how underpowered the stock setup sounds now.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats helpful. Looked at that but didn't see any specifics. How did you connect the amplifier and the rear speakers. Did you have to connect to the head unit with a LOC or were you able to tap into the stock amplifier in the rear? Any help is appreciated. I am quite new to this...

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
575 Posts
I had my local audio shop do it, so I can't answer any of the specifics, sorry. All I know for sure is that they used an Alpine mini amp and installed it under the dash, receiving inputs from the stock amp.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
It seems that the EX-L has a small amp in the back (near the sub). Wondering if that just powers the sub? Can't seem to find a wiring diagram out there. Send me one if anyone sees it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.