Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my previous van (Pontiac) I could leave engine running and lock door with remote fob. I purchased an additional fob for my 2011 Odyssey EX-L and had the dealer program it. It works just fine, but I am unable to lock the doors with the engine running. I make many short stops to drop things off, and I want to avoid the hassle (and wear & tear) of having to turn off the car, take the key, lock the door, and go only to repeat every few minutes. Dealer and Honda don't have any ideas. Anyone here???

·
Registered
197 Posts
Page 156 of the Owner's Manual:

Lockout Prevention
With any door and the tailgate open and the key in the ignition, both master door lock switches are disabled. They are not disabled if all the doors and the tailgate are closed. If you try to lock an open driver’s door by pulling the lock tab rearward the lock tab on the driver’s door pops out.

Given this, you may be able to use an extra key in the outside lock to lock the vehicle while all the doors are closed?

·
Banned
728 Posts
With my previous van (Pontiac) I could leave engine running and lock door with remote fob. I purchased an additional fob for my 2011 Odyssey EX-L and had the dealer program it. It works just fine, but I am unable to lock the doors with the engine running. I make many short stops to drop things off, and I want to avoid the hassle (and wear & tear) of having to turn off the car, take the key, lock the door, and go only to repeat every few minutes. Dealer and Honda don't have any ideas. Anyone here???
Have you tried closing all of the doors and then using the key to lock the drivers (and all) doors? My wife's Honda will do this while another key is in the ignition and the engine is running.

You might want to consider a remote start instead. If a thief sees the car running and a key in the ignition, it will be gone. Some insurance companies penalize owners for leaving the key in the ignition (locked or unlocked).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remote starter (aftermarket) will allow this. Don't have to leave your key in the ignition, it can run for an hour (you'll be able to see the time remaining on your keyfob). If it shuts off you can restart it with the push of a button. You can also check inside temp if you needed to.

If someone was to break in, the engine shuts off when you put your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Page 156 of the Owner's Manual:

Lockout Prevention
With any door and the tailgate open and the key in the ignition, both master door lock switches are disabled. They are not disabled if all the doors and the tailgate are closed. If you try to lock an open driver’s door by pulling the lock tab rearward the lock tab on the driver’s door pops out.

Given this, you may be able to use an extra key in the outside lock to lock the vehicle while all the doors are closed?
manual use of key on exterior of door will allow you to lock and unlock the doors with a second key.

Remote starter (aftermarket) will allow this. Don't have to leave your key in the ignition, it can run for an hour (you'll be able to see the time remaining on your keyfob). If it shuts off you can restart it with the push of a button. You can also check inside temp if you needed to.

If someone was to break in, the engine shuts off when you put your foot on the brake.
Honda (OEM) remote starter functions in a similar manner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help!

I tried using the Valet key, and it works. It is not as "convenient" as just clicking on my additional remote fob, but at least I CAN lock the doors with the engine running. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried using the Valet key, and it works. It is not as "convenient" as just clicking on my additional remote fob, but at least I CAN lock the doors with the engine running. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
So are you leaving your valet key in the ignition with it running and locking the doors manually? If someone wanted to steal your Ody they could just break a window and go, right? Or are you able to arm the alarm while it is running?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts