Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has just purchased a 2001 Odyssey and want a Video system. At this point a Vcp is all we need we like the convience of the i-ves system location of the player but not the quality of the equipment. Any ideas. I would like quality with the option of adding DVD later on without changing the whole system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The question is if you feel comfortable installing the system yourself. The back seat theatre is the easiest to self install. total cost would be aprox $750. 600 for the unit and 150 for the vcr. If you feel more confident in your skills a video unit can be had at ubid for 300. There are two s that the auction.Most of us have gone with the jensen unit. There is a mobile authority unit that is a little less expensive goes for about 225. I pyle mobile hifi vcr can be had at etronics for 115 and a good fm modulator at crutchfield for 55. also if you do not want to self install the audivox unit is 1150 installed at circuit city. This is a quality unit and it gives an excellent picture. Also read all of the other video threads and look at the pictures you will get a sense of what is required.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with rollie66 on reading all the other posts here on what people have done. Best Buy also has a system that can be installed. Considering that you want to be able to add a DVD later, be sure, whether you install or have it installed, that you include an auxiliary input somewhere and that you can switch between the inputs--DVD, VCP, PS2, etc.--somehow. This might be at the video display or at some other switching point. The Circuit City and Best Buy systems have that have that feature.

Regardless of your decision, it is likely that someone at this forum will have a similar system. Meaning, you should be able to get help in the future.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rollie,
I saw your post on Honda-Odyssey.com stating that Circuit City is installing the Audiovox system for $1150. What system are you talking about? I was in a Circuit City yesterday and they want $1365 to install a 6.8" drop down monitor w/tv tuner and dome lights, Hi Fi VCP, FM Modulator, 2 wireless headphones, antenna and remote. Is this what you are referring too?

Best Buy wants $1169 to install a similar setup except the monitor is a Ronson 6.4".

I'm not sure which to go with at this point, but if the Circuit City unit is in fact $1150, then I think I would go with the bigger monitor.

Anyone have any experience with NesaVision? Looking at their ads, their monitors have the highest resolution around. This might be a contender.

Russ

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m going to put a 13” TV/DVD combo, a very low cost “big screen” DVD system solution, into my Ody. I will need to make a table for it. John Combs’ table in the Tech section is a great design. It doesn’t need to do any modification to the van, which I think only a pro (many of you are, but not me) can do it. It is also great place to put a notebook with DVD driver. But I found this configuration requires driver and front passage seats stay on same position. This is not very convenient, especially for a long trip. Does anyone have an idea how to modify the design to overcome this disadvantage? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Russman,

If you decide to go with the Circuit City system, you should know that the current location for the auxiliary input jack is at the roof unit. I was told that you can have another one installed somewhere more convenient, like under a seat, for $40 (I am testing my memory now). This way you don't have to have wires hanging down from the roof while a secondary source is connected.

As for the larger size, 0.4" is almost not noticeable in my opinion. I looked at both the Circuit City (Audiovox) and the Best Buy (Rosen) systems. I couldn't see much difference. The installed pricing that I got was $1380 for the Best Buy system and about $1200 for the Circuit City system--this included the extra input jack mounted elsewhere.

I ended up having my system installed by the dealer. It is also a Rosen system, very similar to the 6.4" system from Best Buy. You can check out my pictures on this site or at the link below.

Good luck with your decision.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
Russman,

As for the larger size, 0.4" is almost not noticeable in my opinion. I looked at both the Circuit City (Audiovox) and the Best Buy (Rosen) systems. I couldn't see much difference. The installed pricing that I got was $1380 for the Best Buy system and about $1200 for the Circuit City system--this included the extra input jack mounted elsewhere.

I ended up having my system installed by the dealer. It is also a Rosen system, very similar to the 6.4" system from Best Buy. You can check out my pictures on this site or at the link below.

</font>
Jvennitti,
Which dealer did you go through? Leesburg Honda? If so, what did they charge you for the installed system? Did they send you to Classic Softtrends?

I got my price quotes from Circuit City and Best Buys on May 19th. It's interesting how they have flip-flopped somewhat. I wonder if the prices are negotiable. Hmmmm.

Do you have a TV tuner? Everything I've heard so far indicates that TV isn't really worth it while the vehicle is moving. Since I really don't plan to sit in a parking lot or my driveway watching TV, I may elect to omit this feature.

Russman

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems that every time I go into circuit city the price on the audivox unit has changed. I believe the last time I went in last week they had a sign that said $1150 installed. Circuit city does negotiate. Tell them you can get the system installed at best buy for $1150 they usually match the price without even checking. As far as the difference in the two units I feel as though the audiovox has a wider viewing angle. In my opinion however if I was going to spen $1200 on the system I would pony up and buy the Honda system for $1380 from Hondapartsforyou or handa.(If you live in ca Handa charges tax and shipping no shipping or tax from hondaparts for you. I have ordered from both companies, I always factor this difference and then order from the lowest cost seller)After installing my own system I feel as though almost anyone should be able to install the honda system themselves. The instruction are very thourough and you oly need basic tools. A local stereo shop shoul be able to install this system for less than $150. It should not take them longer than 4 hours especially if you bring them the honda instructions. If you live anywhere near visalia ca I can Install it as well if you buy me dinner. At the 1200 - 1500 level I do not see much difference in price and the Honda makes more sense to me here. If you want to save bucks go with a system like the jensen. I went with the Jensen because I am extreemly confident in my mechanical skills and could not stomach paying that much for the unit. (However if the price was $1100 or less I just might have purchased it

·
Registered
200 Posts
Russman,

We originally were going through Leesburg Honda. They told us 3-4 months, which turned into 6 months. We were having our 3rd child and needed to get the van. The other thing is that they were %40 to twice as much on the aftermarket stuff. We ended up getting our van from Apostolakis Honda in Warren, OH--our home town. We even told our salesperson about the differences in prices and he said, "That's a no brainer." Here is a list of the differences:
Leesburg Apostolakis
Entertainment $2500 $1500
Leather $2500 $1350
Cassette $600 $300
Fog Lights $595 $550

As you can see, the differences were significant. Also, I read a post at Edmund's a long time ago about contacting Classic Soft Trim directly for pricing. Make sure that you tell them that you already own the van because they do the leather installation for Leesburg Honda and won't give out pricing--conflict of interest.

Lastly, I didn't like the games that Leesburg played. They'd call and say a van was in, but it already had leather installed. At that point we weren't sure about getting it for $2500. However, they seem to be selling them.

If interested, Apostolakis Honda is about 300 miles from here. They have a web site and our salesperson was Paul Nadaud. BTW, no waiting list when we purchased. We called at the beginning of March and picked it up on 31 March.

Good Luck.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jvennetti and Rollie,
Thanks for the reply fellas. I picked up my EX from Jay Honda in Bedford OH (outside of Cleveland) for $500 less than MSRP on 21 May. I only had a 7 day wait and got everything I wanted. They are quite q few positives about them on Edmunds.com.

I came to the same conclusion you did with respect to Leesburg Honda. They want way too much money and want you to wait 3 to 6 months for delivery.

They want well over $2000 bucks for both the Rosen and the Honda mobile video systems. I think they are nuts. $1100 - $1300 installed sounds a lot better to me, but I'm still searching for a better price.

I'm not really inclined to do the install myself simply because I just don't have the time to do it. Rollie, I'd give you a shot at doing it (your install fee is unbeatable) however, you are in CA and I'm in VA - not exactly a short drive.

I'll also see if I can find a Honda installed price that is reasonable here in VA.

Russman

·
Registered
200 Posts
Russman,

I will try to check to see who actually did the install of our system. If it was the same people that do the leather--Classic Soft Trim--there is one in Chantilly. You may also try to contact Rosen for an authorized dealer in the area. If Leesburg is having Rosen systems put in, there must be one around.

Also, if you're from the Cleveland area, you might check there and have it done on the next trip.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might want to do what I did and go with the Rearseatvideo.com method! Let me tell you I am 110% happy with it! They just came out with a under dash VCP console which is just like the one in the iVES Honda System. With their System #2 at http://www.rearseatvideo.com/honda.htm you will see pictures of it installed. It only takes about 15 minutes to mount the VCP console with no cutting or hurting the Odyssey. The rest of the kit installed took me about 2 hours. I could do it quicker in about 1 hour the second time but I took my time using normal house hold tools! The system is better than the ives system because you can easily add a DVD player and game machines. The system has a built-in video switcher both on the screen and on the remote to switch between the players.

I hope this helps!

Dr. keith

·
Registered
25 Posts
Could you add a second source to the Honda version?

I'm thinking I want the most factory looking system possible...

But boy does that Panasonic head unit look good. Can't bring myself to go for the 909 (5 watt center channel!) but the 7000U looks nice. Also the Clarion looks good to.

So... many... toys....

------------------
-Andrew Starks

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Could you add a second source to the Honda version?

I'm thinking I want the most factory looking system possible...
</font>
If you're talking about the Honda RES, yes. It has AUX input jacks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts