Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read your post about successfully swapping the Acura Steering wheel. You have done a lot of homework on the Accord and Ody and Acura CL steering wheels. Will I be able to use one of those Acura Steering wheels on my Accord V6-LX?

Thanks,

·
1,484 Posts
Well there are two styles of steering wheel hubs Honda uses for the different model of the Accord. I'm pretty sure an Accord EX-L V6 uses the same hub as the Odyssey/CL-S/TL-S. I'm not too sure about a V6-LX? But if it IS the other style hub you still could swap it with a Acura MDX perforated leather steering wheel. Same leather pattern as the TL/CL-S wheels but has the other hub style.

Take a look at this pic:
http://nemogira.com/odyssey/hubs.jpg

...if yours is like the one on the left then swap it with an 2001-02 Acura TL-S or CL-S

...but if it's like the right start looking for an Acura MDX wheel.

NOTE: Ebay, Acuramdx.org, and local Acura dealers are the best places to get some fairly new steering wheels. Good Luck!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. But how do I know what style mine is? All I know is that it is vinyl and it does not have audio controls. I also chatted with Trevor and he confirmed that the LX does not have wiring for the audio controls. I wanted those too. But the question that arises is that are the Accord EX-V6 and LX-V6 steering wheels same?

Can anybody else shed some more light or will I have to open up the steering wheel and compare it? I hate to do that to a 1 week old car

·
1,484 Posts
I've never tried checking it this way before but it might be possible way to check what style hub it is. Take a look at this pdf: http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/steering01.pdf

On the first page (right side) they show a little compartment under neath the wheel that can be easily taken off. Maybe by looking at the bottom portion of the hub you can tell what style it is. Looks like Ody version the bottom metal portion is seperate while the MDX version the metal is connected. This might help as well. It's pic of my wheel with the airbag removed: http://nemogira.com/odyssey/MVC-056S.JPG

WARNING: This involves working in the area of an airbag. Please either take the precautions of the pdf file (disconnect battery) or DO NOT tamper with any harness that is YELLOW!!!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Piyush,
My understanding talking with some service guys at a Honda Dealership is that V6-LX and V6-EX have the same hub, like the CL/TL. All 4cyl, have the other style, like the MDX. If you look at Majestic's website, the pictures seem to agree, but that's not 100%. I have not personally checked...sorry!

FYI Nestor, I was able to get my hands on a black MDX wheel removed from a customer's car at a dealership. Gonna try and put it on my '99 LX Accord 4Dr (4cyl) this weekend (Black). Only problem is my Accord wheel is grey, the replacement is black, but I think it should look OK (no worse than putting the black leather wrap around it, and less work!)

Will let you know how it turns out, and post a pic if you are interested.

-SJ

p.s.- Passed on the brown wheel on ebay. seller was a little sketchy, canceled bids for the first auction because he didn't get what he wanted. Then he let the auction run the second time, and offered it to me after SOMEONE ELSE won the auction. Freaky. Maybe I'll wait to see if I can get a black one, so I don't have to worry about the air bag/color matching issue..... If you see any more, anywhere, let me know (though I'm looking too).

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
The drawings on the Majestic are not always accurate depictions of the parts. For instance, if I do a search for a 2000 Odyssey steering wheel I get this pic: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S0X0_B3110.gif

For some reason it shows the wrong steering wheel hub. Either Majestic or Honda were lazy and reused an inaccurate but similar pic. So just be aware of those drawings.

As for the two hubs...it's very confusing with all the options given for the Accord. Let's see you have combinations of LX, EX, Leather, and V6. I don't really know how Honda decides which wheel hub goes to what model.

I would love to see pics of a mix-match colored airbag n' wheel. If you read my old posts you'll see this was my original plan to mix-match the colors. But my plan was a grey wheel and a black bag. The only problem was there was no perforated grey wheels. It was either smooth leather (grey) or perforated (black or tan). And I went with the perforated black.

Yeah I noticed that ebay auction too. It was reposted for some reason. Even though there was no reserve or nothing. That's why I didn't bother reposting the link because it does seem a bit "Iffy".

Another tip: Sometimes you'll find airbags for auction. So maybe a grey airbag will come around one day. Good luck to everyone!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx guys. I don't want to buy a new steering wheel. I would like the one Acuras as my Nisaan maxima has a similar perforated leather steering wheel. I will keep looking. I called the dealer here and he said that when customers come to swap their steering wheels with the wood grain one, they either take the old wheel with em or these guys throw it in the dumpster. I did not belive either of those excuses.

I also saw that auction but somehow the pictures looked of a grey steering wheel so I did not bid and also Since the guy has very low feedback I don't think he si trustworthy.

In the mean while please keep posting ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Nestor,
Here's a link to pics of my '99 Accord steering wheel swap. Black wheel with gray airbag/trim. Actually looks alot better than I thought it would. I have to say.. I LOVE THIS WHEEL!!!! Taken from an MDX, it makes SOOOO much difference. Thanks again for all your help, Nestor!

My wife even loves it so much (she drove my Accord to run an errand today) that she asked me "So when are you gonna get one for MY car?" (the Ody, of course) Now that's affirmation! Of course she loves it the most because I got the wheel for FREE! Woohoo!

Anyhow, to answer the ultimate question:

How do you figure out what type of hub you have without removing the steering wheel?

Check the link below to see, just pop off the lower cover and you can tell quite easily!

http://ourworld.cs.com/shnjhn/ody/wheelswap.htm

I also have a pic from Lanny showing his brown wheel with black airbag on his Ody, and will post it if he gives me permission to upload it to my website....

I was thinking of putting together a cross reference of Honda/Acura models and what wheel hubs they have. If anyone wants to email me concrete info, I'll put it all together and post it on my website...

Enjoy!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:

I also have a pic from Lanny showing his brown wheel with black airbag on his Ody, and will post it if he gives me permission to upload it to my website....
</font>
Okay by me. Nestor also offered to store it, but I hate to take up his space.

Your swap on the Accord looks great! If you can find a similar TL wheel for your Ody it would look great too. If anyone has ever had the leather wrapped wheel before, they would want to make this swap one of their first mods, IMHO.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
If anyone has ever had the leather wrapped wheel before, they would want to make this swap one of their first mods, IMHO.

</font>
I agree. I have the perforated leather wrapped steering wheel in my Maxima. That's what has made me to seriously think about upgrading my Accord's steering wheel. Next will be the ody after the accord.

ShinJohn, Thanx for posting those detailed pictures. I will go and check the steering wheel as soon as I get home.

[This message has been edited by piyush (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Awesome shinjohn! The mix-match looks great...I'm so jealous.
Also, I'm glad you and your wife like the new wheel. Finally, all my "Steering Wheel Swapping" research is being put to good use. Not only for Ody but Accord owners as well.

Also great info n' pics on how to easily distinguishing steering wheel hubs. Maybe you should post those in the TECH section...at least in the LINKS page. I'm sure there's more Ody/Accord owners out there that would be interested in this info.

Again, great job!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Lanny, I'll post your picture tonight after I get home from work. Thanks, just wanted to make sure it was OK.

I agree too about the wheel swap. I never purchased the leather wheel wrap after hearing stories of sore hands, and 2+ hours of struggling to get it on... then it tends to fray, come loose, etc... My swap took me ~35 minutes (including picture taking), I didn't sweat a bit, and I love the results. The only warning I'd give is that if people wanna do this swap, make sure you understand how to work safely around the SRS. I've done this kind of thing before and I still get nervous plugging in and unplugging the connector!!!

In as far as posting in the tech section/etc...

Nestor, who do I ask to put it up there? I assume the webmaster (Jim, right?) needs to do it, or do members get upload priveleges? Just wondering. I don't mind linking/posting on Odyclub, just want to follow protocol. Also, since this isn't strictly Ody, I didn't think to ask about including it on the site. But I'm willing to help out...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
In as far as posting in the tech section/etc...

Nestor, who do I ask to put it up there? I assume the webmaster (Jim, right?) needs to do it, or do members get upload priveleges? Just wondering. I don't mind linking/posting on Odyclub, just want to follow protocol. Also, since this isn't strictly Ody, I didn't think to ask about including it on the site. But I'm willing to help out...

-SJ
</font>
Yes just send the pics to Jim at [email protected]

-Nestor

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Added Lanny's taupe wheel pic to my web page...
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
182 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts