Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday my friend was able to install the H&R springs on my Ody. Here’s my review after about an hour of test driving.

Air Lifts: They do fit. Although a bit snugger than before. I’ve tried inflating and deflating them – seems to be still working. I would have to load it up to see how it really handles it.

Ride: Feels exactly the same as stock on regular (smooth) roads. But on speed bumps you definitely notice the lesser spring rate. When it goes up it quickly comes down - at that's it! No extra bouncing but a little harsher than stock was (same goes for train tracks). Also, I noticed when the back end went over the speed bumps it made an extra ‘thump’ or ‘gulp’ noise. I’ll have to see what’s up with that. But I did have the Air Lifts inflated at the time.

Handling: I honestly don't notice a huge improvement in handling. It always handled good before so...I can't really say it's any better. The body-roll control is slightly improved but don't expect to be ready to take on Civics in the slaloms just yet.

Overall: I'm VERY pleased with the result. My Ody now looks the way I always wanted it to look - more aggressive but still able to clear most of things on the road. We probably have the steepest driveway on the block and my friends w/ lowered cars usually either scrape their kits or exhausts if they don’t angle it just right. But my Ody clears it with no problem. I was also able to keep my Air Lifts. Those were 2 of my major concerns. I’ll probably get the wheels aligned next weekend once everything settles.

There are also new pics in the Gallery if anyone’s interested.

-Nestor

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Man, I need to get busy on my Ody ...

Looks perfect!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Yeah, by lowering the van it actually makes the rims look even bigger than before! I'm very, very pleased w/ them. Also Jim, the more I look at the color of the gunmetal it probably WOULD look good (or even better) on a Granite Green Ody. So if you are still thinkin' of upgrading you might want to still keep these in mine.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.

Where did you get them again?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
I was thinking the same thing.

Where did you get them again?

</font>
Sorry about the late replay Jim. I didn't know you replied to my message that quickly. But here ya go:

Wheels for Less

Mine are the Motegi Racing MR7 18x7 5/100-5/4.5

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Very nice, balanced look, Nestor. It really looks "right"!!!!

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. That is how the van should look. There is no noticeable gap between rubber and van. SWEET!

Now my wish list includes:

Sunroof
Wald Luxury body kit
Flipdown Theatre
Factory speaker upgrade
MP3 player
Fog lights
Odyssey Scale model r/c car

PS-Not necessarily in that order.

·
Registered
478 Posts
VERY NICE! Just the right amount of lowering IMO, not "slammed" but still more aggresive looking especially with the 18s. Have you noticed any rubbing at all now that it's a little lower? Also, did you notice any performance loss with the heavier than stock tires/wheels?

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
Have you noticed any rubbing at all now that it's a little lower? Also, did you notice any performance loss with the heavier than stock tires/wheels?

</font>

No, I have not experienced any fender rubbing (so far). The only real gripe I have about having larger, heavier rims and performance tires is that you lose, what I call "free-rolling". I don't know if that's an actual term but what I mean by this is: Let's say your coasting down the freeway w/ your foot off the gas - the stock wheels/tires use to give me a decent amount of 'gas-free' rolling. But now with the heavier rims and grippier tires - I have to keep pressing on the gas every so often to get 'er going. And us Californians know how important "GA$" is now.

Thanks again everyone!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Nestor,
Looks fantastic, not ricey, just really good. Great job!

-SJ

p.s.- What Costco were you at? Can't believe the parking lot is empty in the middle of the day! Every time I go, I can hardly find a parking space!

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is yours an LX or EX? If it's an LX, did you paint the door handles to match the body?
If it's an EX, did you take off the roof rack?

-Tim
'02 in the near future

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks SJ! Naw, it was like 9 o'clock in the morning and on Labor Day no less. While there I suddenly had the cravings for 'DOUGHNUTS'. Mmmmmm...Buuuuurn Out!!!.

And Tim, it's an EX w/ the roof rails removed.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nestor, your "gulp" noise could be the
AirLifts rubbing inside the springs. When I used them (had several sets), I found that the newer plastic ones sometimes were noisy, where the older rubber ones never were. I just sprayed some sort of lubricant on the air bags (that's sorta messy, 'cause the stuff attracts dirt) and the noise was gone. I do not remember what I used, but, any sort of "slick stuff" should be o.k.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Nestor, your "gulp" noise could be the
AirLifts rubbing inside the springs. When I used them (had several sets), I found that the newer plastic ones sometimes were noisy, where the older rubber ones never were. I just sprayed some sort of lubricant on the air bags (that's sorta messy, 'cause the stuff attracts dirt) and the noise was gone. I do not remember what I used, but, any sort of "slick stuff" should be o.k.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX
</font>
Thanks for the tip Jerry. Yeah, they are kinda scrunched in there now and going over the a speed bump (while inflated) WOULD cause it to rub more on the springs. I'll try it out later this week and see if it does the trick. Thanks again!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nestor -

Air those tires up to 60psi, and you should roll along just fine! Just watch out for large ants, or you may hit the headliner crossing one.

Your van looks REALLY sweet with the wheels and springs. I hate the money you're gonna be costing me...

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

1 - 20 of 41 Posts