Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a like-new (26470 miles) 2001 EX the day after Christmas. A nice present to myself, even if I did have to pay for it:) I've read a lot of forum threads and picked up some good information, though it's hard to not wonder how long the transmission will last. Hopefully, frequent changes using Valvoline's best will keep things rolling.

Other than oil changes and wash jobs, it appears the Odyssey has been in the shop twice over the years, both times for driver-side sliding door repairs. Naturally, the first time I tried to open the RIGHT-side door using the outside handle it beeped, hummed, and refused to move (it later opened fine using the button on the dash. Gee whiz). Anyway, here's hoping the vehicle is as trouble-free for the next ten years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A couple of recommendations. I do a drain and fill on the tranny every other oil change. It is easier than changing the engine oil believe it or not! also, with the door, you should inspect and possibly replace the center roller as well as take apart the door and lube the heck out of the door latch mechanism. Also, you should clean the contacts on the door and the van. they are those shiny metal things that connect when the door is shut. you can use a pencil eraser, or very fine sandpaper. reply to this thread if you have any questions.
Hope this helps
keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your note. I've already done a transmission drain and fill. The door has been working fine; I think it just needed to make sure I know who is in charge:) The rollers look like new. Actually, the whole van is like new. It truly was driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday. In 2001 I bought a Chrysler Town and Country with 44,000 miles from the same person. 210,000 miles now without a hiccup. I can only hope the Honda is as durable and trouble-free (yes, I know those words don't often go together with Chrysler, but sometimes...). The Honda is nice, but I miss the leather interior, digital dash, and quietness of the Town and Country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts