Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm helping my friend look for a new minivan.

What are the common problems with the 2020 Honda Ody minivan?

How's the transmission, engine, infotainment?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
634 Posts
10 speed transmission is great, available at every trim level in 2020. Engine is pretty bulletproof. VCM is upgraded and seems to cause way less troubles than previous years. Android Auto and Apple Car Play are pretty good, just like other makes and models. EX-L with NAV/RES and above is where they bit off too much in my opinion and where they're having all freezing and reliability issues. Other than that feel free to read through latest threads in 2018+ section and it will give you a pretty clear idea of current state of affairs. Best of luck to your friend!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 speed transmission is great, available at every trim level in 2020. Engine is pretty bulletproof. VCM is upgraded and seems to cause way less troubles than previous years. Android Auto and Apple Car Play are pretty good, just like other makes and models. EX-L with NAV/RES and above is where they bit off too much in my opinion and where they're having all freezing and reliability issues. Other than that feel free to read through latest threads in 2018+ section and it will give you a pretty clear idea of current state of affairs. Best of luck to your friend!
Thanks for replying my friend. I'm still have my 2013 Ody with some minor repairs but still keeping mines also.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
10 speed auto is supposed to be better, but I don't know. Definitely better than the 9 speed, but it's still a new design so only time will tell.

Engine should be alright. VCM has always been problematic. It is easy to disable so I wouldn't worry about it if it was disabled.

The infotainment have had some complaints but all newer cars have these complaints. I don't have an opinion one way or another about its reliability but 2018/2019 models have had their fair share of complaints, and I would personally avoid the upper trims as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
10 speed auto is supposed to be better, but I don't know. Definitely better than the 9 speed, but it's still a new design so only time will tell.

Engine should be alright. VCM has always been problematic. It is easy to disable so I wouldn't worry about it if it was disabled.

The infotainment have had some complaints but all newer cars have these complaints. I don't have an opinion one way or another about its reliability but 2018/2019 models have had their fair share of complaints, and I would personally avoid the upper trims as well.
We haven't had any issues with current generation of VCM in our 2020, as well as later models of Pilots that share it. They've improved on it quite a bit and I wouldn't disable it while under warranty.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Would recommend you check out Consumer Reports. Odyssey, below average. Check out posts on this site. See how Honda treats customers with "issues". IMHO, You can't say, VCM issue is solved on "new" Odysseys. Because it takes a while, (put on some miles), before you have VCM problems. (by then you are out of warranty).

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
I would still disable it under warranty. You wouldn't know if it causes problems until later on, and then, the car will be out of warranty, and it will be too late. Of course, if you happen to take the car in to the dealer for warranty work, then you should remove the Muzzler just so they don't give you an excuse to not honor the warranty. They wouldn't be able to tell if VCM was normally disabled or not, though, if you remove the Muzzler.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Would recommend you check out Consumer Reports. Odyssey, below average. Check out posts on this site. See how Honda treats customers with "issues". IMHO, You can't say, VCM issue is solved on "new" Odysseys. Because it takes a while, (put on some miles), before you have VCM problems. (by then you are out of warranty).
I didn't say it's solved. I said we haven't had any issues yet and neither did many Honda Pilots since they share it since 2016.🙂 We have lifetime powertrain warranty included by our local Honda dealer, so I'd rather not void that and let them sort it out under warranty if any issues do arise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a 2013 Ody still and we have repairs with a left siding door with power connection corroded, transmission/engine connection (Rear main gasket) I think, cv boot and it's components.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2020 models doesn't recommend but the vehicle specs and exterior amenities looks nice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

I'm helping my friend look for a new minivan.

What are the common problems with the 2020 Honda Ody minivan?

How's the transmission, engine, infotainment?
The 2018-2020 air conditioning sometimes does not cool enough, even on a brand new vehicle. If buying, check the exact vehicle you might buy. Not all new vehicles cool the same. Suggest don't buy unless you find one that cools enough. Hard to check if you buy in cold weather. Some owners say their AC was overcharged or undercharged and if the service dept correctly charged the AC, cooling improved. Wonder why the factory does not get refrigerant charge correct. Should be a routine factory procedure. There should be lots of repetition and experience in charging the AC at the factory. Did not see anything in the press release about the 2021 model saying the AC had improved.

The 2018 and later did start using a different refrigerant R1234yf. New refrigerant has less cooling ability than old R134a but the manufacturer should have designed for refrigerant change. There seems not much reserve in AC cooling capacity to make up for inevitable slow refrigerant loss, less than perfect refrigerant charge and general lessening of function as a vehicle ages.

But even after AC service, AC might still be not very cold compared to old vehicles. There is only one evaporator in the front dash and the fan for rear is in the front. So rear refrigerated air has to go all the way from the front dash area to the rear. This is different from pre 2018 models with fan and evaporator in front and rear.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The 2018-2020 air conditioning sometimes does not cool enough, even on a brand new vehicle. If buying, check the exact vehicle you might buy. Not all new vehicles cool the same. Suggest don't buy unless you find one that cools enough. Hard to check if you buy in cold weather. Some owners say their AC was overcharged or undercharged and if the service dept correctly charged the AC, cooling improved. Wonder why the factory does not get refrigerant charge correct. Should be a routine factory procedure. There should be lots of repetition and experience in charging the AC at the factory. Did not see anything in the press release about the 2021 model saying the AC had improved.

The 2018 and later did start using a different refrigerant R1234yf. New refrigerant has less cooling ability than old R134a but the manufacturer should have designed for refrigerant change. There seems not much reserve in AC cooling capacity to make up for inevitable slow refrigerant loss, less than perfect refrigerant charge and general lessening of function as a vehicle ages.

But even after AC service, AC might still be not very cold compared to old vehicles. There is only one evaporator in the front dash and the fan for rear is in the front. So rear refrigerated air has to go all the way from the front dash area to the rear. This is different from pre 2018 models with fan and evaporator in front and rear.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be able to fill the system with R134 without any ill effects.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be able to fill the system with R134 without any ill effects.
2016+ Civic and 2018+ Odyssey uses R1234yf and a special oil. Pressures are similar but not identical between R1234yf and R134a. 2018+ and R1234yf cars use different fittings although there are adapters and people may have done it.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite | Platinum White Pearl
34 Posts
Wow guys so did any of you catch all of the sudden recalls on the 2020 Ody and Pilots that just occurred recently?

Some dealerships can't even sell the cars until they have been addressed. Something to do with the fuel pump, electronics, ecu flash etc...

It's a shame how poor the quality control is with Honda's today... it's no surprised as they are built here in Alabama... no wonder. Things have gone down hill ever since imports have been built in the US.

The reliability is much worse than average. Gosh... hmm... we're right in the midst of pulling the trigger on a 2002 Elite, but....

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
Wow guys so did any of you catch all of the sudden recalls on the 2020 Ody and Pilots that just occurred recently?

Some dealerships can't even sell the cars until they have been addressed. Something to do with the fuel pump, electronics, ecu flash etc...

It's a shame how poor the quality control is with Honda's today... it's no surprised as they are built here in Alabama... no wonder. Things have gone down hill ever since imports have been built in the US.

The reliability is much worse than average. Gosh... hmm... we're right in the midst of pulling the trigger on a 2002 Elite, but....
It's the technology & design of the complicated new cars that are causing problems... not the fact that they are built in the US. Direct injection means there's two fuel pumps... one more fuel pump that couldn't have caused problems if it didn't exist. My 2001 Toyota Camry was built in the US as well, and it is generally accepted as one of the most reliable cars Toyota ever made. Although I agree with you that quality control has decreased for sure.

If you're concerned, as you have every right to be and I would be as well... buy a simpler car without all the fancy electronics.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It could be that they're catching up some stuff with new parts that fixed the issues in mid-cycle refresh. Along with the new OTA software that just came out. My backup camera comes on instantly and is crisp right away now!

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's the technology & design of the complicated new cars that are causing problems... not the fact that they are built in the US. Direct injection means there's two fuel pumps... one more fuel pump that couldn't have caused problems if it didn't exist. My 2001 Toyota Camry was built in the US as well, and it is generally accepted as one of the most reliable cars Toyota ever made. Although I agree with you that quality control has decreased for sure.

If you're concerned, as you have every right to be and I would be as well... buy a simpler car without all the fancy electronics.
The common import cars assembled in the US are far inferior than cars built in Germany, South Korea and japan. The tolerance levels are nowhere near as tight and there exists a major quality control issue that can be clearly seen from the final product. It's sad actually.

One thing that I find interesting is that for the 2022 ody they brought back the physical gear shifter. Go figure.

I've been a bit weary about the push button gear shifters for a while... Especially with the horrific malfunctions some has experienced with it going into park while driving.

Honda quality has dismissed greatly over the years. It's no surprise that the quality is below average.

The only reason we have the 2020 ody on the radar is because there are no Kia Sedona Limited's available as the inventory is dry. The Sedona is far more reliable than the ody... We may wait for the 2022 Sedona or just get the 2020 ody elite now with an extended warranty; just not looking forward to the expected issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It could be that they're catching up some stuff with new parts that fixed the issues in mid-cycle refresh. Along with the new OTA software that just came out. My backup camera comes on instantly and is crisp right away now!
Nice, that's great to know actually. The rear camera image on Honda's have always looked VHS to me.

I have the dealership sending me a list of all the recall fixes that were done later today.

Reactions: serega12

·
Registered
634 Posts
The common import cars assembled in the US are far inferior than cars built in Germany, South Korea and japan. The tolerance levels are nowhere near as tight and there exists a major quality control issue that can be clearly seen from the final product. It's sad actually.

One thing that I find interesting is that for the 2022 ody they brought back the physical gear shifter. Go figure.

I've been a bit weary about the push button gear shifters for a while... Especially with the horrific malfunctions some has experienced with it going into park while driving.

Honda quality has dismissed greatly over the years. It's no surprise that the quality is below average.

The only reason we have the 2020 ody on the radar is because there are no Kia Sedona Limited's available as the inventory is dry. The Sedona is far more reliable than the ody... We may wait for the 2022 Sedona or just get the 2020 ody elite now with an extended warranty; just not looking forward to the expected issues.
It went into park in low voltage conditions. Battery died and with transmission computer being programed to go into park when reset that's exactly what it did. They reprogrammed them to go into neutral. And I believe that was 9 speed transmission only. They fixed it when they went to 10 speed across all trims.
I was questioning the button transmission too, but it's growing on me. 🙂

Reactions: unlock42

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,423 Posts
It's the technology & design of the complicated new cars that are causing problems... not the fact that they are built in the US.
Agreed but isn't the 5th generation not only assembled in the U.S. but are also designed by U.S. engineers? I was told that the Japanese folks no longer design the Ody. So, we are buying a 100% made American car, which can either be wonderful or loaded with issues as seen in a lot of the 2018s. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts