Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
One thing that I find interesting is that for the 2022 ody they brought back the physical gear shifter. Go figure.
Wow, where did you get this info? I certainly believe you and hope you're right. I think it's a wonderful change because you can't pop the current Odys into neutral for towing without a special tool that you need to use while crawling under the car. Try that in -30 C on the snow-covered 401 highway in Ontario!!!

The J-Series engines are designed in America by American engineers and built in OH since the very first V6 3.0 Accord back in the 90s.
The J35Y6 engine used in 5th gen Ody are crippled version of J35Y4 used in 2014+ Acura RLX. They are hardly new.

Agreed but isn't the 5th generation not only assembled in the U.S. but are also designed by U.S. engineers? I was told that the Japanese folks no longer design the Ody. So, we are buying a 100% made American car, which can either be wonderful or loaded with issues as seen in a lot of the 2018s. Just curious.

wow, i was in the market for an 18 elite and it seems like i need to rethink my options.....
those korean cars are looking more and more appealing, just didn't think i'd ever buy one. always was a honda/toyota person....

wow, i was in the market for an 18 elite and it seems like i need to rethink my options.....
those korean cars are looking more and more appealing, just didn't think i'd ever buy one. always was a honda/toyota person....
Welcome to the forum. The choice is entirely up to you. IIHS safety ratings are still the highest for the Odyssey. It may change with all these new additions, but hasn't yet.

Thanks for the welcome. Although safety is a top priority, however, no sense in having top priority if the vehicle isn't reliable or filled with gremlins. :) originally it was a tossup between the sienna and this, and this was winning because of the features and styling but having read more in recent forums, perhaps a korean vehicle might be a better option. i'm at a crossroads.

Thanks for the welcome. Although safety is a top priority, however, no sense in having top priority if the vehicle isn't reliable or filled with gremlins. :) originally it was a tossup between the sienna and this, and this was winning because of the features and styling but having read more in recent forums, perhaps a korean vehicle might be a better option. i'm at a crossroads.
Perhaps. I would spend equal amount of research on Kia forums and Toyota forums. My cousin had to have Kia buy back his lemon Sedona after a front suspension rubbing gremlin that they couldn't fix after months of throwing parts at it. It would happen every time he did a u-turn. Although the electronics worked well! It's all about compromise and what you are willing to live with. That's why we ended up with a 2020 EX-L with 10 speed (more reliable of the two) and no nav or rear entertainment system to fail and got each one of the kids their personal tablets instead. We had a fully loaded VW Routan SEL premium with all the bells and whistles (with Chrysler Town and Country drive train and VW styling) and it was all great until a few years down the road all of them started failing one by one. So this time we went with absolute necessary to us stuff (leather, android auto), and upgraded things we liked in higher trims (LEDs, larger wheels and tires, etc). Odyssey is our 4th van after Mazda5 microvan, Nissan Quest, and the VW Routan I just mentioned so we have experience with different manufacturers and would say made an educated decision to get this Honda regardless of the shortcomings that some experience.

Whatever you decide on, make sure it's something that works for you and your family, as it's something you will be enjoying or regretting for the time you own it. Best of luck in your search!

Wow, where did you get this info? I certainly believe you and hope you're right. I think it's a wonderful change because you can't pop the current Odys into neutral for towing without a special tool that you need to use while crawling under the car. Try that in -30 C on the snow-covered 401 highway in Ontario!!!
I saw it on a promo teaser video. Hmm I'm trying to upload the pic of the dash board, but since I'm on my phone the image upload button is greyed out. I'll post it when I get to the office.

Update: @Hodna ... Yea disregard, it seems like the teaser video mixed in a bunch of variants. At first glance you'd think it was focused on the US variant, but apparently upon closer inspection they mashed it up so disregard.

First year model always sucks.
The Guinea Pig Special Editions.

I highly encourage you to go test drive an equivalent (price range) Hyundai or Kia. It's way better built than Honda / Toyota today.

For the price range of >$45k test drive the Hyundai Palisade limited just for price to value & quality sake. It makes the price equivalent Honda or Toyota feel like a Detroit built rental car.

Remember that Hyundai / Kia comes with that crazy 10 year / 100k warranty. Worry free ownership. You can't say the same for Honda or Toyota as their warranty is a joke.

I had to buy a maxed out Honda care just to have some peace of mind, because Honda (today) is below average in reliability and not built as well like before.

It's a whole new automotive world. Just within the past 5 years things have changed dramatically. Hyundai / KIA and Genesis (luxury division of Hyundai) are absolutely slaying the competition right now. People have woken up..

Interesting fact: The hottest cars right now flying off the shelf even during this pandemic are the Kia Telluride, Hyundai Palisade and Toyota Tacoma.

Welcome to the forum. The choice is entirely up to you. IIHS safety ratings are still the highest for the Odyssey. It may change with all these new additions, but hasn't yet.
The KIA Sedona is right up there with 5 stars too.

Wait for the 2022 KIA Sedona and Toyota sienna. You may like those better than the current odyssey's.

I really wanted the new 2022 KIA Sedona, but couldn't wait. The current best option for me was to buy the odyssey elite, which would end up giving me the least amount of buyers remorse lol.

In short, IMO the upcoming 2022 ody is ugly, especially the rear tail lights and bland cockpit. Just no... Honda ruined it. It's sad to see them go from the best looking to the worst.

The new sienna styling wise IMO is very 2022 and it'll age well going forward. The single i4/hybrid engine option and non removable middle seats was a deal breaker for me.

I really like the new 2022 KIA Sedona. Bold, more suv like, AWD option, luxurious interior, 10yr/100k and just above its class in a lot of ways. The con, it's not out yet.

If you can wait it out I would. The Sienna or the Sedona will be the two top picks in 2022 with the availability of the hybrid + AWD options alone.

Perhaps. I would spend equal amount of research on Kia forums and Toyota forums. My cousin had to have Kia buy back his lemon Sedona after a front suspension rubbing gremlin that they couldn't fix after months of throwing parts at it. It would happen every time he did a u-turn. Although the electronics worked well! It's all about compromise and what you are willing to live with. That's why we ended up with a 2020 EX-L with 10 speed (more reliable of the two) and no nav or rear entertainment system to fail and got each one of the kids their personal tablets instead. We had a fully loaded VW Routan SEL premium with all the bells and whistles (with Chrysler Town and Country drive train and VW styling) and it was all great until a few years down the road all of them started failing one by one. So this time we went with absolute necessary to us stuff (leather, android auto), and upgraded things we liked in higher trims (LEDs, larger wheels and tires, etc). Odyssey is our 4th van after Mazda5 microvan, Nissan Quest, and the VW Routan I just mentioned so we have experience with different manufacturers and would say made an educated decision to get this Honda regardless of the shortcomings that some experience.

Whatever you decide on, make sure it's something that works for you and your family, as it's something you will be enjoying or regretting for the time you own it. Best of luck in your search!
Lemons exist with all manufacturers. There are similar stories if not worse with Honda's.
The difference is that Hyundai / KIA has a far better warranty and doesn't find ways to get out of warranty related issues.

We have many brands of cars within just our immediate family and I work on most of them. The Hyundai / KIA products today are overall just superior to that of Honda.

Although I prefer 2017+ Hyundai / KIA products, there are plenty of early 2000 models on the road that have over 200K-250K miles on them and still running.

As far as our Ody's go the electronics is my main concern next to the transmission... Oh those gadgets. I was shocked at the prices to replace some of the components on the dash... This is why Honda care was a must. It sucks to dish out more money, but I knew it'd be the only way to have a peace of mind going forward.

At the end of the day, I really like my Ody, but I knew about the baggage it came with too going in. Hence, Honda care to cover the electronics at the least.

thanks! I definitely agree. There doesn’t seem to be a perfect van. I would get a lower model if they came with ventilated seats.
I saw it on a promo teaser video. Hmm I'm trying to upload the pic of the dash board, but since I'm on my phone the image upload button is greyed out. I'll post it when I get to the office.

The Guinea Pig Special Editions.

I highly encourage you to go test drive an equivalent (price range) Hyundai or Kia. It's way better built than Honda / Toyota today.

For the price range of >$45k test drive the Hyundai Palisade limited just for price to value & quality sake. It makes the price equivalent Honda or Toyota feel like a Detroit built rental car.

Remember that Hyundai / Kia comes with that crazy 10 year / 100k warranty. Worry free ownership. You can't say the same for Honda or Toyota as their warranty is a joke.

I had to buy a maxed out Honda care just to have some peace of mind, because Honda (today) is below average in reliability and not built as well like before.

It's a whole new automotive world. Just within the past 5 years things have changed dramatically. Hyundai / KIA and Genesis (luxury division of Hyundai) are absolutely slaying the competition right now. People have woken up..

Interesting fact: The hottest cars right now flying off the shelf even during this pandemic are the Kia Telluride, Hyundai Palisade and Toyota Tacoma.

The KIA Sedona is right up there with 5 stars too.

Wait for the 2022 KIA Sedona and Toyota sienna. You may like those better than the current odyssey's.

I really wanted the new 2022 KIA Sedona, but couldn't wait. The current best option for me was to buy the odyssey elite, which would end up giving me the least amount of buyers remorse lol.

In short, IMO the upcoming 2022 ody is ugly, especially the rear tail lights and bland cockpit. Just no... Honda ruined it. It's sad to see them go from the best looking to the worst.

The new sienna styling wise IMO is very 2022 and it'll age well going forward. The single i4/hybrid engine option and non removable middle seats was a deal breaker for me.

I really like the new 2022 KIA Sedona. Bold, more suv like, AWD option, luxurious interior, 10yr/100k and just above its class in a lot of ways. The con, it's not out yet.

If you can wait it out I would. The Sienna or the Sedona will be the two top picks in 2022 with the availability of the hybrid + AWD options alone.

Lemons exist with all manufacturers. There are similar stories if not worse with Honda's.
The difference is that Hyundai / KIA has a far better warranty and doesn't find ways to get out of warranty related issues.

We have many brands of cars within just our immediate family and I work on most of them. The Hyundai / KIA products today are overall just superior to that of Honda.

Although I prefer 2017+ Hyundai / KIA products, there are plenty of early 2000 models on the road that have over 200K-250K miles on them and still running.

As far as our Ody's go the electronics is my main concern next to the transmission... Oh those gadgets. I was shocked at the prices to replace some of the components on the dash... This is why Honda care was a must. It sucks to dish out more money, but I knew it'd be the only way to have a peace of mind going forward.

At the end of the day, I really like my Ody, but I knew about the baggage it came with too going in. Hence, Honda care to cover the electronics at the least.
thanks for your input, really appreciate it.
i think you meant 2021 instead of 2022 throughout your post right?
yes, those are top contenders for me. 2018+ sienna limited, 2018+ odyssey elite (always wanted ventilated seats), telluride sx prestige, palisade (haven't researched too much yet). i'm torn between sliding doors/comfort/trunk room vs styling and potential for towing (minivan vs telluride/palisade).....

edit: i apologize to OP for railroading their original thread.

thanks! I definitely agree. There doesn’t seem to be a perfect van. I would get a lower model if they came with ventilated seats.

thanks for your input, really appreciate it.
i think you meant 2021 instead of 2022 throughout your post right?
yes, those are top contenders for me. 2018+ sienna limited, 2018+ odyssey elite (always wanted ventilated seats), telluride sx prestige, palisade (haven't researched too much yet). i'm torn between sliding doors/comfort/trunk room vs styling and potential for towing (minivan vs telluride/palisade).....

edit: i apologize to OP for railroading their original thread.
Doh...yes I meant the 21's ;)... I keep getting it mixed up as to avoid confusing the 21 mid cycle Ody with that slight face lift to the new model coming out.

Ventilated cooled seats was a TOP priority for me as well! It's the little things that count, often making a huge impact eh? Unfortunately, only the Elite trim offered cooled front seats, but that's not the only reason I went for the Elite.

I was also in the same pickle between a van (Upcoming Sedona or Current Ody) and SUV (Hyundai Palisade). Since we needed all the space and seating the van was the winning choice. It's really more practical in so many ways. The only thing that I wish it had was an AWD option, but it's not a deal breaker. In a few years I may warm up to a hybrid as all the worthy van options that don't already have it now should hybrids by then.

BTW I think it's relevant to talk about all this stuff here to some degree, but if you want we can continue the convo more in detail here.

I too apologize if the OP feels it's going too off topic to his standard. :)

what the hell are you talking about?
The Odyssey for America is COMPLETELY different from a RHD / Japan / Singapore / Malaysia / India / whatever model.
Dude.
Easy there tiger "dude." As with any leaks it's always to be taken with a grain of salt. It's not that serious. Take a chill pill. Perhaps the teaser videos were mixing in the different variants, which seems to be the case.

Reactions: jiantao
Easy there tiger "dude." As with any leaks it's always to be taken with a grain of salt. It's not that serious. Take a chill pill. Perhaps the teaser videos were mixing in the different variants, which seems to be the case.
Leaks? Tiger? Dude. At minimum, it's someone trying to get paid advertisement for car search spam.
Worst case? It's a spamvertizing baiting site.

Leaks? Tiger? Dude. At minimum, it's someone trying to get paid advertisement for car search spam.
Worst case? It's a spamvertizing baiting site.
A lot are click baits for sure, some look convincing at first glance. At any rate, always to be taken with a grain of salt.

Out of all the cars that we have with push button gear selectors, the one on the ody just feels clunky and not convincing.

Honda could have added a 360 camera, rather than trying to go fancy with a push button gear selector on something they're famous for being problematic; the transmission (related).

Just putting in a stick lever on the interior console, is not good enough. They would have to mate to the transmission manually (either mechanical linkage or enclosed steel cable). Than they would have to remove the transmission solenoids for shifting, and totally program the computer on the transmission. Oh yeah, remove the paddle shifters on your steering wheel.

I would say leave it as is, most of the cars are going this way, and by 2025 I think all new vehicles will be either push button or knob twist operated.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.