Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have negotiated a good price on new 2020 Odyssey Elite yesterday (~ $43,300 out of the door). I learned that the car was manufactured in 12/19, almost 9 month ago. It has been sitting on the dealer lot since winter. When I test drove the car I initially heard some rubber noise. I later learned that new cars can developer flat spots after sitting on a lot for long time.

Should I be concerned the fact that I'm about to buy a car that sat on the lot for 250 days? Is there anything I need to request from dealer to change: tires, battery, oil, brakes?

Thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The tires will most likely smooth out after you drive it for a bit. Brakes should be fine after you burn the initial rust off them which you would have done on the test drive.

As for the battery that one is a toss up. If it's starting fine most likely you are OK and the battery will get charged fully as you drive it more. When we went to the dealership to pick up our 2020 EX this past Saturday, the sales manager said she had them put a new battery in it. Either it was out of the goodness of their heart (unlikely) or it was dead and they had to replace it when they went to get it and detail it (most likely). Ours was manufactured in February of this year.

With regards to the oil the only thing you could do is ask the dealership to change it out since it has already been in the vehicle for 9 months. Most likely it is perfectly fine but if they are willing to do it for you, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most dealers will move cars around their lot to wash, clean, reorganize the lot so I would't be too concerned about it sitting that long. Get some heat in the tires and drive it around and you should be good with them rounding back out. Battery is good as long as it wasn't jumped when you drove it...that auto start/stop has an AGM battery so I wouldn't worry about that either. Depending on your demographic, you might have the oil changed as there could be some moisture in it from sitting but that's about it.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
When I test drove the car I initially heard some rubber noise. I later learned that new cars can developer flat spots after sitting on a lot for long time.
True, tires can develop flat spots. But they won't make any noise - they will thump a bit.

Another result of a car sitting for a while is rust on the rotors. This is harmless, but it can make a grinding or rubbing noise until it wears off.

I see no particular reason to not go for it other than my general belief that cars need to be driven, not stored, to keep them healthy.

Is your negotiated price good just on this particular van?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've read the Honda TSBs about lot storage, and they outline a procedure that they have to do which includes pulling a fuse and routinely running battery tests on vehicles stored on their lots and logging the results online. If they don't do it properly they warn that the dealer has to pay for any customer-related battery issues... if the tests weren't run and logged properly, HOA won't pay for it.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
298 Posts
I've read the Honda TSBs about lot storage, and they outline a procedure that they have to do which includes pulling a fuse and routinely running battery tests on vehicles stored on their lots and logging the results online. If they don't do it properly they warn that the dealer has to pay for any customer-related battery issues... if the tests weren't run and logged properly, HOA won't pay for it.
This is very true. There is a very specific protocol that the dealerships are suppose to use to keep their cars in good shape. It's usually the battery that is the culprit, so @pmnyxdjsbfkkppyyke I'd ask them to bring out the battery tester and have them test it right in front of you so that you have a peace of mind about it. You can also get it in writing that if the battery kicks the bucket or starts acting funny, that the dealership would replace it free of charge. You should be fine though.

How many miles are on the van by the way? Just curious... I would personally rather have a car that has been sitting with the fewest miles as possible over a car that has more miles from 'drive it like a lease/rental' test drives...

Also, kudos for doing your research and finding how long it has been sitting on the lot...I'm sure they want to get that van off their lot asap... either they cut you a deal or they auction it off to another dealer since it has been sitting too long. If they were smart, they'd cut you a deal for the potential residual benefits of a returning customer + services etc...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Make sure you are the first registered owner and warranty starts the day you pick it up.
If not, have them throw in extended warranty.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
You should be fine. After 30 mins of driving, any condensation inside the engine or transmission should evaporate. Dealers move their cars around frequently.

·
Registered
234 Posts
sorry I was late to this thread, but $43.3k seems high.
Even on our lease (originated Dec 2018), we paid $42.5k for an Elite w/ destination (lease crap fees added another $1600; can't do anything about that).
In July 2019, I noticed prices dropped further - by another $1300 due to incentives - and that was for cars just arrived on lots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts