Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8th seat in 2009

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the new 2011 8th seat (with LATCH) in the 2009 model? We are having our third child soon and we currently have two toddlers in FF Britax seats. I am trying to avoid putting our oldest in the back row but it doesn't look like it's feasible to put all three in the 2nd row.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm trying to see if I can replace my 2009 8th seat with the new 2011 8th seat that has LATCH. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or does anyone know if the anchor points for the 2nd row seats has changed from the 3rd to 4th gen? I'm assuming if the anchor points are the same, it has to be possible somehow...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm trying to see if I can replace my 2009 8th seat with the new 2011 8th seat that has LATCH. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or does anyone know if the anchor points for the 2nd row seats has changed from the 3rd to 4th gen? I'm assuming if the anchor points are the same, it has to be possible somehow...
I wouldn't think so because you would probably need the "wide" mode and you would need to remove the inboard armrests.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand that the new 8th seats have the inner armrests, but i've also found that the armrests on the 3rd gen captain chairs can be removed. my main concern is the width of the seat itself and the attachment anchors...

·
Banned
728 Posts
I think if he new seat is designed to fit in the existing anchor position without modification, it would be a reasonable "upgrade". if it is not a simple install, I'd stay away from it. You'll gain a rear tether position, but if the seat lets go, it will be worse than a car seat installed in a proper seat without the rear tether.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is basically my question... have the anchor points changed in the second row? i don't have access to a 2011 so i can't determine if they are the same. i am not looking to do anything drastic, just to see if the new seat will fit into my 2009.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
With so much change between the generations, why do you think it will even fit? With the 2nd to 3rd gen changes, the seats were different and I see no reason why it'd be any different with 3rd to 4th gen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am not asking for an evaluation of my thought process. if you know whether the anchor points have changed or not, please respond. otherwise, it really doesn't help to post unrelated critical comments. thank you.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Allright, it is not a common question as you can see, so you do your part and we do ours. Post a picture and dimensions of your mid seat rails and anchors (the base w/o the seat) and then I'll post the ones of my 2011 in return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigBoat - Great idea, thank you.

Out to out dimension of rear anchors is approximately 12 inches.

Center to center of rear anchors is approx 9.5 inches.

Front anchor at driver side is direct in front of the one in the rear, other side is sliding bar.

Space available between two captain's chairs is approx 14 inches.

On the seat itself, rear anchors are approx 9.75 inches apart

Front anchors on seat are approx 9.25 inches apart.

Distance from rear to front anchors is approx 11.5 inches.

Images attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Coming from a 2007 EX-L to the 2011 myself, I would say the center seat of a 2011 would not work on a 2009 as the center seat itself is much wider now and the 2009 just wouldn't accomodate the seat part (though I'm not sure about the anchor parts). They actually widened the 2011 by two inches. Hope this helps though sorry it doesn't work for ya.

·
Registered
786 Posts
With so much change between the generations, why do you think it will even fit? With the 2nd to 3rd gen changes, the seats were different and I see no reason why it'd be any different with 3rd to 4th gen.
If it changed from the 2nd to 3rd, I am sure it had to have changed from 3rd to 4th because there was a lot more in common with the 2nd-3rd gen seats.

·
Banned
728 Posts
BigBoat - Great idea, thank you.

Out to out dimension of rear anchors is approximately 12 inches.

Center to center of rear anchors is approx 9.5 inches.

Front anchor at driver side is direct in front of the one in the rear, other side is sliding bar.

Space available between two captain's chairs is approx 14 inches.

On the seat itself, rear anchors are approx 9.75 inches apart

Front anchors on seat are approx 9.25 inches apart.

Distance from rear to front anchors is approx 11.5 inches.
Your carpets need cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
If it changed from the 2nd to 3rd, I am sure it had to have changed from 3rd to 4th because there was a lot more in common with the 2nd-3rd gen seats.
Yeah. But we're not allowed to comment apparently.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yeah. But we're not allowed to comment apparently.
:)

Wow, tons of pics. Here are mine. Not as fancy, but I hope they give you an idea:

Width in-between anchors ~25cm, 9.85in
Length in-between anchors ~29.5cm, 11.61in

Seat locks width: ~26cm, 10.86in
Seat locks length: ~29cm, 11.41in

Space in between captain chairs (wide mode): ~43cm, 16.92in
Seat width: ~34cm, 13.38in

Now, it reminds me, I never cleaned the carpet after putting the seat back either :D

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just traded in my 09 for an 11. Dunno about the dimensions but that 11 seat is wider for sure. If this would be for a front-facing car seat, I tried that and before I even tethered it I could see that no way would the outboard seats be flippable to get to the 3rd row unless, 1. You use wide-mode which is new for 11, 2. It was a very narrow car seat, 3. It was a rear-facing infant bucket and seat, 4. You don't care about easy access to the 3rd row.

Just my 02 - hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BigBoat - thanks for the info! it looks similar enough to me to at least be hopeful. honda won't give me anything because they 'discourage' all modifications, even it doesn't change anything to the car itself. i contacted my local dealer to see if they'll let me try out the seat from a new car. waiting to hear back on that.

Canis Lupus - the plus one seat on the 2011 is supposedly 4" wider but i'm not seeing it, at least not at the base. it might seem wider because of the change in the armrests or perhaps it's something in the way the seats fit together... either way, i'm trying to install a FF britax in the plus one seat, which only works in the 2009 with the seatbelt + lockoffs on the carseat. there is no latch, no tether. i've read about other people who have gotten it to work but i'd feel better about having the latch. i want to avoid putting my toddler in the 3rd row if at all possible. we're not concerned with access to the 3rd row at this point. figuring out the carseat in plus one situation is priority.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't count on a dealer cooperating too much with something that would make your current model more appealing and not give them a chance to make a sale, but you could get lucky. Also, have you thought about getting the colors to match? Or is that a minor issue for you?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
the plus one seat on the 2011 is supposedly 4" wider but i'm not seeing it, at least not at the base.
Yes, it does not look that different in width, possibly the 4" talked about is the distance between the captain chairs, but if we look at our non-scientific measurements (14in vs 16.94in), 3in is more like it

The seat width itself is around 13.38in

I've read about other people who have gotten it to work but i'd feel better about having the latch.
Yeah, same thing here, a big plus item on my minivan comparo/review

Oh well, yes, they look similar but I agree, a test is really needed, it could be any silly thing: different anchor diameter, different locks and that's it, incompatible.

Now, if the dealer does not like the idea, you might find a closer Californian who owns a 2011 (EX+), invite her(him) for a playdate/ice-cream/beer/hard liquour in exchange for the test and presto, win-win :p

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes, it does not look that different in width, possibly the 4" talked about is the distance between the captain chairs, but if we look at our non-scientific measurements (14in vs 16.94in), 3in is more like it

The seat width itself is around 13.38in

Yeah, same thing here, a big plus item on my minivan comparo/review

Oh well, yes, they look similar but I agree, a test is really needed, it could be any silly thing: different anchor diameter, different locks and that's it, incompatible.

Now, if the dealer does not like the idea, you might find a closer Californian who owns a 2011 (EX+), invite her(him) for a playdate/ice-cream/beer/hard liquour in exchange for the test and presto, win-win :p
You want to meet in western delco/eastern chesco? :p..............Sorry, but I'm not home now:D.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts