Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just start by saying that modding is a disease. Since my van needs a little brake work, I asked the wife if we could do a small upgrade since it was gonna come apart anyways. More stopping power = safer for my kid right?

So this is what I got (please excuse the crappy iPhone photos):

AP racing 6 piston calipers
345mm slotted rotors
Ferodo DS-2500 pads

In boxes:

Peeking out. Oh hello!

To get an idea of how it would look:

The recipient:

The result!

SO satisfied right now :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sound like a very nice brake upgrade and more stopping power than the OEM one, and you got a very nice looking ody with those wheels there bro.

TT,

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is such a thing for our vans??

Awesome mod and if you don't mind me asking, what were the part numbers and prices? Ohh, and what rims are those?

Thanks! Now delete the roof rack?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roof rack delete is on the list, but I have a few other things i'd like to get done before I move on to small cosmetic accessories. Front tint would be nice too, but unfortunately it is illegal around here.

The adapters for the calipers are 100% custom and were machined based on measurements made by a friend of mine who owns a local Honda tuning shop. As far as I know, the rotors were selected based on offset and hub size requirements and also had to be re drilled in order to fit. So unfortunately, the only off the shelf items in this kit were the calipers and pads. I paid for the whole thing as sort of a package deal, but I would say budgeting for a kit like this should start at the $2000 range and can increase by quite a bit depending on the rotors and calipers you choose, and how much the machine shop charges.

When I first put on my 19's I noticed that it required more effort on the pedal in order to get the van stopped. I still have yet to completely bed in the pads, but after a few days of normal driving, I've definitely noticed a huge increase in stopping power.

·
Registered
613 Posts
How does that work with the stock master cylinder? Looks awesome with 6 piston opposed calipers. Holy molly. I thought I had some good brakes...(see sig):(

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dig your rims and AP big brakes. Is that Volk Racing CE28N? Looks damn good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Dirkdaddy: Pedal feel is stock and definitely not as firm as I'd expected. It still stops freaking hard though. Mind you, I don't have stainless steel lines so there is room for a little bit of improvement.

LeonardoCal: I would recommend buying the exact setup as the adapters are made specifically for these rotors and calipers. There's only a 1mm gap between the rotor and the adapter so you'll be very hard pressed to find something else to fit unless you get custom hats made. If you're interested you can shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Cebu888: Thanks man :) The rims/tires are VMR 701 19x8.5 ET35 with 245/45/19 Pirelli PZero Nero

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sick setup! Would be nice to have someone machine custom caliper adapters for Porsche brakes (Brembos) to fit the Ody's... There must be a BMW rotor out there (even aftermarket application) that might come close to what we can use... Brembo and Porsche calipers can be found used for great prices~

Dirkdaddy... if you want more power... ditch those ceramic pads and get something w/ more bite... :DD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

If you're really interested, it can be done. Just need to know which calipers. These adapters were made overseas based on measurements my buddy made. I was originally going to use DC5R brembos, which can also be modified to fit with stock rotors, but I decided on these because I wanted to fill up that space inside the wheel.

I think the problem with BMW rotors is the center bore. You would need to use something that can be opened up. Then its just a matter of re drilling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
May I asked how much are the complete set. The stock Brakes suck so bad. I had 20's in mind and the stocks are just not working well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If your budget is over $2k, then Brembo "might" have something. The Ridgeline Indy pace car has big brembo's all around, and so does the One lap of America Honda Odyssey race van. Honda also ran an Odyssey at Pikes Peak couple 2 weeks ago, and that should have Big Brembo's too. Obviously Brembo has "something" for our cars.

For rotors, there's racing brake specialty shops out there that will drill whatever center bore and lug pattern you need. Just choose the rotor diamater, offset, and thickness from their "blanks".

That being said, for under $500, Pilot brakes are still working great.... in fact I recently swapped my Ridgeline's brakes for the same Pilot calipers and pads... Under normal driving, there wasnt too much difference, but when towing my double PWC trailers (2500 lbs), the stopping power was much better... on stock oem pads too. Aggressive pads should help it even more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone! Is there anyone here in our club using stainless steel brake lines? I am planning to pick up a full set of those with cross drilled and slotted rotors. Any ideas on brake pads would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeap... using SS braided lines here. It was perfect time to change the lines during the caliper swap, so why not.

I change the lines on all my cars... usually feels a bit more firm, along w/ DOT4 racing brake fluid... or something as good (higher boiling point). Good peace of mind when coming down mountains or towing stuff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeap... using SS braided lines here. It was perfect time to change the lines during the caliper swap, so why not.

I change the lines on all my cars... usually feels a bit more firm, along w/ DOT4 racing brake fluid... or something as good (higher boiling point). Good peace of mind when coming down mountains or towing stuff.
How is the DOT4 fluid that you are referencing different from what Honda calls "Heavy Duty DOT3 fluid" And can it be used to top off what is in the 2011, or better not to mix DOT4 with the current DOT3? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can mix DOT 3 and DOT 4... however, you're probably just diluting the benefits of DOT4... think of it like mixing 87 and 91 octane fuel.

Brake system is basically a hydraulic system... the greatest enemy is heat. Long story short, DOT4 generally have a higher boiling point than DOT3... so imagine coming down a steep mountain, towing a heavy load (or many passengers), or even high speed stops... you fluid will get very hot. If you overheat your brakes, then you lose hydraulics (fluids boil) and your brake pedal goes to the floor like a sponge, and you probably have to change your pants soon after.

Basically brakes create heat... almost everything we do to "upgrade" brakes are some form of controlling heat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts