Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for quite some time and took delivery of a new LX this past Friday. Could not be happier about the van. Anyway, how do you keep that “new” car smell? Are there any tricks of the trade or is it just keep it as clean as possible? I hope there are some tricks since I have a couple of kids that will no doubt keep me on my toes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't been very impressed with the "New Car Smell" spray from the auto parts stores.
Perhaps you have to use it in a new car to keep the "smell" going? I've sprayed it into my old cars with "old car smell" and it didn't bring them back to new car status...
YMMV...

Anyway, if you want to keep that smell in there, use the A/C A LOT and keep those windows rolled up and the doors closed as much as possible.

Our 1998 Taurus still had the smell (at least that's what people told me) when we turned it in (lemon
) 2 years later.

P

·
0 Posts
My grandpa's 95 Ody still smells brand new. His trick--keep the kids out of it. Really, just keep it clean and use the AC. For some reason, our AC smells exactly like an Amtrak train. Weird.

Michelle

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was listening to the news a few weeks ago and I heard bad things about new car smell. Apparently, there are toxins in it from the making of the car that can cause illness, possibly death. So when you buy a new car, hopefully you will not have to drive to the pharmacist and buy medication.

------------------
Sean

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Can't resist any longer!

You do realize that the "New Car Smell" is actually caused by the out-gassing from all those synthetics and plastics inside the car?

Yes, I too think it smells wonderful, but it really isn't all that good for you!

Nothing like that new leather interior smell, almost as good as a whiff of Starbucks on a cold morning!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Four people in Australia were reported in an anecdotal story to have had some problems (headache, nausea) possibly related to the types of gases possibly found in new cars. This will "justify" probably several hundred million US$ in more studies.

It is not the smell itself, just the gases, such as benzene. I doubt that any of the aftermarket "new car aromas" contain the possibly offending gases.

However, it may be a good idea to let air circulate in any new car.

<font color=green>Breathing gas fumes
when filling your gas tank is probably much more dangerous than breathing while riding in a new car.</font>

Of course, the auto industry disputes the study, which really wasn't a study but a report of the problems of four people who may have been hypersensitive.

Regards,

Maugham

1 - 7 of 7 Posts