Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Don't waste your time with the dealer. You'll find that standard bolt at home depot or autozone. Looks like the previous owner improvised and used a different bolt. This would surely mess up the entire thread in the block. Expect to put a helicoil or similar for a more permanent fix. I did this repair on my bottom alternator bolt. I used a china made helicoil kit M-10 X 1.25 for less-$20-ebay. And used the oem size bolt. Seems to be holding up for about 6 months now. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How did the old 1/2" bolt fit in the old tensioner?

Maybe you can very slightly enlarge the tensioner bolt hole to accommodate the 1/2 inch bolt? Drill it it out little bigger. If the difference is very little. Just big enough to fit the bolt but not to compromise/damage the tensioner.

31/64" is a hair smaller than 1/2". Thats a problem. But you can still try drilling the hole with the 31/64 bit to smooth it out. Then try using the tap for the oem bolt size helicoil. If the hole is not badly damaged-enlarged by the bigger 1/2" bolt, it still might work.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Did not know the hole was on a bracket. That would also work. Make sure you can remove all the bolts without disturbing any other parts- AC. If you need to remove the compressor to remove the bracket, that means discharging the ac system is necessary.

If the problematic bolt hole has some space behind the bracket you can reach, it would be easier to just drill out the hole through and put a longer m12 x 1.25 bolt and put a locking washer and nut behind it. If you have room in front to insert the longer bolt.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You can save on the bracket by going to a pick-a-part place(junk yard) if you decide to go that route. Should only cost around 10 bucks. Make sure the threaded hole is good before removal. But first try the longer bolt and see if you can fit a wrench to hold the nut when tightening. If you have the room. It will be a permanent fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts