Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow! my cost for the new fog lights from the honda dealer is $580.00cdn. i can buy piaa's for half that price. any suggestions or recommendations?

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i presume the price of $306.00 is in us funds. therefore, if i consider an exchange rate of 55% they come out to $475.00cdn plus taxes, duty, customs and shipping. still not a deal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

Just picked up my 2001 Silver last Friday.

I've got a list of accessories ready to order but I have a question about these fog lights:

I've seen pictures at different odyssey accessories etailers. Some have the round version surrounded by black molded plastic. I've also seen pictures of them where the whole fog light area/cavity is occupied by the fog light lens.

Which is it?

Also, my dealer is asking $565 to install it. Is this a reasonable installed price?

I know I can get it for about $300 online but the idea of installing it based on the 16 page install instructions which includes cutting the opening and removing the bumper does not sit well with me or my wife.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
"Make Waves on the Web" (TM)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
"I've seen pictures at different odyssey accessories etailers. Some have the round version surrounded by black molded plastic. I've also seen pictures of them where the whole fog light area/cavity is occupied by the fog light lens.

Which is it?"

The round ones are pre 2001 and the larger ones that cover the full opening are 2001.

"I know I can get it for about $300 online but the idea of installing it based on the 16 page install instructions which includes cutting the opening and removing the bumper does not sit well with me or my wife."

I know the instructions look kinda scary, but if you're handy at all it's not bad. If you're comfortable working on your car the installation should go well.

FWIW, I have a pair of PIAA 1500 XT Ion fog lamps that I only had mounted on the van for about two weeks that I'll sell if anyone's interested. The set is complete and like new. My address is [email protected]

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 02-25-2001).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you not like the piaa's?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
They performed well, but I prefer a white light and they give off an orange or yellowish light. Also, I had them mounted in the center of the grille area and decided I'd go for the '01 Honda lamps instead.

------------------
Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
FWIW, I have a pair of PIAA 1500 XT Ion fog lamps that I only had mounted on the van for about two weeks that I'll sell if anyone's interested. The set is complete and like new. My address is [email protected]
</font>
I think it's time for a classifieds section, huh?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a side note on the Canadian Odyssey's and fog lights. The US ones won't match up to the wiring harness on them. Due to the Canadian Odysseys having different features like daytime running lights etc. they have different wiring to them. I ran into that a couple years ago when selling them to a place that imported the Odysseys from Canada to sell here.

-Trevor
handa-accessories.com

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hip/Chuck,

Would you mind posting your experience in installing the 2001 ody fog lights?

I have the 16 page install instructions. Looks like a lot of work. Any tips, must haves, dos & don'ts, would be appreciated.

How long did it take you to complete it?

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
Hip/Chuck,

Would you mind posting your experience in installing the 2001 ody fog lights?

I have the 16 page install instructions. Looks like a lot of work. Any tips, must haves, dos & don'ts, would be appreciated.

How long did it take you to complete it?

Thanks,
Errol

</font>
I think it was 3 1/2 or 4 hours. It wasn't nearly as hard as the instructions made it look. It may have been a little bit easier since I'd already installed and removed the PIAA lights that I tried first, but still no big deal

I think if you're handy enough to consider the job yourself, you're already experienced enough not to have any problems.

I don't remember having any particular problems, but the only real caution I'd point out is to make sure to have someone else handy to help remove the bumper skin so it doesn't get scratched. Even that's surprisingly easy once you figure it out.

Come to think of it, there were two very minor problems, both having to do with the cables and their hookup where they pass through the firewall. There was some confusion in the instructions and the supplied drawings of the cables. I think the drawn cables were for a hood switch option that I don't have, but the descriptions were not clear enough. Anyway, I figured it out and everything went together fine. If I'd known ahead of time that the drawings were misleading, I wouldn't have had to spend nearly as much time finding out that the way I thought they went together was right. The correct way was pretty obvious.

Go for it! I think you'll be very glad you did.

------------------
Chuck Konarske
The Odyssey Albums on FotoTime

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks Chuck.

I ran the idea with the spousal unit of me, myself, and I doing the install and forgoing the dealer. Needless to say, she frowned upon the idea again based on the 16 page instruction set. She also questioned whether the warranty on the lights would still be intact should I do it since there is a stern warning about the lights not being a DIY type project.

So would the warranty still be intact if I were to do it? Just wondering...

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think I read that genuine Honda accessories installed by a Honda dealer are covered by the balance of the basic warranties, and any Hondacare extended warranty. For genuine Honda accessories not installed by a Honda dealer, I believe it might have been one year from date of purchase. Double check your manual/warranty booklet to be sure about any fine print.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Even if the warranty is shortened I'd imagine you could fix anything that might go wrong with the $150 you still have in your pocket because you installed them yourself, not to mention the satisfaction you would derive if you're so inclined.

------------------
Chuck
Odyssey Pictures and Projects on FotoTime

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would question the ability of the dealer to do the install any better than a fairly astute owner.

IMHO, Honda has a great product but their dealers are "dumbed down" too much for me.

------------------
Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts