Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi & TIA
I am looking to change my front pads on my 01' LX with 15,000 miles. I am really close to the min thickness. The dealer wants $125 for parts & labor. being a shadetree kinda guy I would rather save some $$ & do it myself. What pads do you all like & costs & sources? or should I just go to a local Autoparts place?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with budget pads on the front brakes of a 4400 lb van. Sure you can change the pads but you can't sevice the rotors at home.
$125 seems like cheap insurance expecially when you have money for a K&N filter....

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Why not order the pads from HandA for $32.20 and then do it yourself? I like using Honda pads since they tend to be the least noisy in my experience. If you are really cheap, you could get Bendix or some aftermarket brand with "lifetime" warranty, but geez, $30 is not alot for pads.

With only 15K miles, where do you drive to wear your pads out so quickly? (or how do you drive?????) I'd be worried about the rotor being out of spec if you wore the pads so quickly. I'd get the dial indicator out and check runout before changing; might need to turn the rotors. Or have someone check that for you.

Just my suggestion...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try Axxis pads.
The have better stopping power, I use them on my 92 300ZX. Much less dust, better stopping power, and great wear.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would agree to stay away from the less expensive pads in this case. I have found that they never seem to last as long as the OEM stuff. I have skimped on pads before only to be unhappy with the life or performance. Besides, at $32 or so is reasonable to get OEM equipment.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnx all. Think I will try the AXXIS pads. Not really looking to save $ on the cheap stuff, just wondered if there was something out there that was better and around the same price. I thought 15,000 out of front pads is not very good. My wife usually drives the kids around & she is not a "hard-stopper". The rotors are plenty thick & straight & true. Maybe the AXXIS pads will be better. thnx for the input
John l

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine were shot at 19K on my 2000 LX. I think it's due to the weight of the Odyssey and a lot of around town driving. There is a brake TSB out. Look it up and mention this to your dealer. It calls for resurfacing the rotors, which covers just about all the labor. All I had to pay for was the cost of the pads and about 1/2 hour labor, which came to about $80 I think.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you replace the pads yourself and have not worked on a vehicle w/ABS, be sure you do not push the piston back into the caliper without opening the system. You do not want to force fluid back through the ABS valves, since you might introduce some contamination into the sensitive parts of the system. You should open the bleeder and let the fluid you displace exit the system, instead of pushing it upstream. Yes, I know many of you will say you have been pushing the piston back without opening the bleeder. So have I, but I did not know the proper way to do it and I ended up with a noise in my brakes and had to cycle the ABS a few times before it went away. I considered myself lucky to get off that easy.

15K miles is REALLY poor life for a set of pads, but a lot of city driving can take its toll. I would recommend staying with OE pads if you like the feel of the stock brakes, since often different pads will give you a new (not necessarily bad) feel. I have used Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads with good results, but, they took quite a bit more pedal pressure, which, to me, would be a step backward on the Odyssey, since the brakes have such a great feel and a very nice, progressive action, just as they are. $32.00 is really pretty cheap for a decent set of pads. The PFCMs were around $60.00. Good luck......

Regarding the above advice on replacing the pads, I believe the pros clamp off the brake hose while opening the bleeder so that air will not move upstream in the system while the bleeder is open.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts