Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm CK from Los Angeles. I'm usually quite open but with so much ID theft nowadays, I'm wary to put a lot of info online.

I'm a middle age Father with 4 boys and a wonderful wife. I just started being a DIY for the cars but i've been a DIY guy for quite a while now on other stuff.

The Ody, a 2004 EX, is actually My wife's and I just maintain it for her as much as i can. For bigger jobs, I let her take it to her favorite mechanic.

I drove it once to New Mexico to pick up my Giant Telescope and thats the extent of my driving it.

I'm currently trying to fix my Transmission that has the dreaded P0740 code. and am doing so with the wonderful information that is found in this forum.

hoping i can make my own contributions to this forum sometime too.

Sincerely,
CK

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You New Dad!

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Welcome, CK.

Giant telescope? Tell us more!

OF

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You for the welcome OF!

The Giant Telescope is a Coulter designed Telescope, called Odyssey 2. Funny, I didnt think of it that time, an Odyssey in a Odyssey. :D

The thing is bigger than me, measures 17.5 Diameter and about 75 inches Long. Bright Red in Color.

here is a link to a pic of it.
http://www.umich.edu/~lowbrows/reflections/2008/jbrisbin.3.html

I bought it but sadly havent had time to use it. my poor excuse is that it takes 2 people to actually set it up properly. one person could but would definitely result in damages if tried. i got it thinking i could have seen better the galaxies in the sky.

The Telescope did fit in perfectly after i took out one of the middle seats. i wish i took a picture then... i will next time i take it someplace :)

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
That thing is a beast! :eek: My only exposure to optics are rifle and spotting scopes, and night vision devices (previous job), all strictly handheld items for sure.

OF

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi OF,

I guess i am on the opposite end. I havent had a chance to handle any of those devices you mentioned. closest thing would be a binocular.

btw, this week, i'm doing the pressure switch replacement and the redline racing atf on my ody, including cleaning the solenoids, adding a cooler, and magnefine. wish me luck! :)

CK.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
I pretty much think of terrestial scopes as spotters. The biggest one I've ever owned was a 60mm refractor...good for looking at the moon, but not a whole lot else. Much better for using on the rifle range, but then I went with a much shorter one by Burris for use on a bench.

My college roommate had a Meade Instruments reflector...I'm guessing it was a 6" Newtonian reflector. You could see Saturn's rings with that one.

I'm getting the itch to get a "real" telescope. Living in the middle of farm country has the dual blessings of minimal light and atmospheric pollution.

Have fun with both Odysseys.

OF

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks OF!

I'm just a beginner myself. :)

I know more about telescopes right now than the stars they are meant to look at...

CK.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Odypyro, you need to get an odyssey battery, then you can have an odyssey in a odyssey in a odyssey.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Odypyro said:
Thank You New Dad!
Welcome to the Ody Forum.... I noticed your "Fuelly" signature.... I also subscribe to Fuelly but and retarded when it comes to technology (I feel like cheering when the computer turns on and actually works each day) How do you get the Fuelly to post in your signature??

P.S... sorry to hear about the tranny; ours went out at 93.000-miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kscha41 said:
Odypyro, you need to get an odyssey battery, then you can have an odyssey in a odyssey in a odyssey.
Hi Kscha41!

I never heard of that battery yet. I will check it out. Thank You!

cmblair76 said:
Welcome to the Ody Forum.... I noticed your "Fuelly" signature.... I also subscribe to Fuelly but and retarded when it comes to technology (I feel like cheering when the computer turns on and actually works each day) How do you get the Fuelly to post in your signature??
Hi cmblair76!

I know what you mean, it did get easier as I use the PC more tho. I hope it will be the same with you.

to answer your question, In fuelly, when you login, normally they show you a summary of all the vehicles you have registered.

when you click on one of the vehicles, it shows you a page with more specific information to that vehicle.

on that page, on the bottom left hand side, is a small snippet/blurb of info asking if you want the code to post on another website.

if you click on that, it gives you several an option of the full banner or the mini. for either one, it gives you both the bbcode and the html code.

From this page, copy the bbcode portion of the banner you want to show.

go to the odyclub user profile (User CP) and go to edit profile, there is a row (10th) there that says "Signature:". on the right hand side is a box, add/paste the code into this box and save it. it will show up as the graphic that you see.

hope this helps. :)

CK

·
Registered
166 Posts
CK-

Thank you for the information - you will also find great resources on this forum. As uncomfortable as I am with technology, I have been impressed with the information I have received here and fixed many things on my Ody that would have cost hundreds more at the dealer - and surprisingly I have no parts left over when the job has been completed!!

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
cmblair76 said:
...and surprisingly I have no parts left over when the job has been completed!!
CK, you need to keep tuned in to Kscha and cmblair. Unlike them, I have had the dreaded "oh, where was THIS supposed to go?" scenario after buttoning up what I thought was a complete auto repair job.:stupid:

For those who might read it a little differently (it does read funny the way I wrote it), it's a compliment to them.

OF

·
Registered
150 Posts
Odypyro said:
Thank You for the welcome OF!

The Giant Telescope is a Coulter designed Telescope, called Odyssey 2. Funny, I didnt think of it that time, an Odyssey in a Odyssey. :D

The thing is bigger than me, measures 17.5 Diameter and about 75 inches Long. Bright Red in Color.

here is a link to a pic of it.
http://www.umich.edu/~lowbrows/reflections/2008/jbrisbin.3.html

I bought it but sadly havent had time to use it. my poor excuse is that it takes 2 people to actually set it up properly. one person could but would definitely result in damages if tried. i got it thinking i could have seen better the galaxies in the sky.

The Telescope did fit in perfectly after i took out one of the middle seats. i wish i took a picture then... i will next time i take it someplace :)
Noticed the umich.edu extension and, having graduated from UofM (MBA), I clicked on the link.

I participated in numerous University Lowbrow astronomy events when I was back in high school. So your link brought back a lot of good memories. (I was a true astronomy geek back in middle and high school.)

Did you spend a lot of time out at Peach Mountain just outside of Ann Arbor? The observatory and radio telescope out there were really incredible!

How did you make your way to Los Angeles?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
0dyfamily said:
CK, you need to keep tuned in to Kscha and cmblair. Unlike them, I have had the dreaded "oh, where was THIS supposed to go?" scenario after buttoning up what I thought was a complete auto repair job.:stupid:

For those who might read it a little differently (it does read funny the way I wrote it), it's a compliment to them.

OF
OF,

I know what you mean, i graduated from taking apart computers and laptops to taking apart portions of cars. but the problem is the same. 8 out of 10, I always have extra parts left over and i always have to take it apart again and redo slowly so i remember...

:D
CK

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mi_sat said:
Noticed the umich.edu extension and, having graduated from UofM (MBA), I clicked on the link.

I participated in numerous University Lowbrow astronomy events when I was back in high school. So your link brought back a lot of good memories. (I was a true astronomy geek back in middle and high school.)

Did you spend a lot of time out at Peach Mountain just outside of Ann Arbor? The observatory and radio telescope out there were really incredible!

How did you make your way to Los Angeles?
mi_sat,

I'm must humbly apologize to you. I did not mean the link to infer that i am from that State nor University. It was the first picture i could find thru go ogle of the odyssey 2 telescope to present to OF. I'm actually from SE asia and have only been in Los Angeles for almost a decade so far.

I am a little familiar of the radio telescope you mentioned but i havent been to the east coast yet. I've only been to NRAO VLA in NM while on my way home with the telescope. I am hoping maybe when the kids are grown a little. I can travel more and see all the wonderful astronomical sights.

I am trying to share my passion of astronomy with my kids... tho i think i need to do more work there :D

Sincerely,
CK

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
OdyPro, although now living in Oklahoma...I was born in a Glendale hospital, and we lived in the Highland Park neighborhood in Central Los Angeles until I finished Kindergarten, then we all moved to Glendale. I'm 1/2-Korean by my Mom.

My wife is from Saigon, and her family left right before it fell and became Ho Chi Minh City.

Enjoy Los Angeles!:cool:

OF

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
0dyfamily said:
OdyPro, although now living in Oklahoma...I was born in a Glendale hospital, and we lived in the Highland Park neighborhood in Central Los Angeles until I finished Kindergarten, then we all moved to Glendale. I'm 1/2-Korean by my Mom.

My wife is from Saigon, and her family left right before it fell and became Ho Chi Minh City.

Enjoy Los Angeles!:cool:

OF
Hi OF!

I'm Chinese from the Philippines. My wife is also from Vietnam, She was one of the boat people who reached Malaysia and eventually America. she recounted to me what they had to go through then, she was nine at that time.
Glendale? I hardly go there but I work in Pasadena so its close. :)

I'm really a homebody tho. I dont normally go out unless i have to. specially since the kids are so young, they are quite the handful!

I've never been in OK, but if i find myself going there, I'll let you know. :)

CK

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Odypyro said:
I've never been in OK, but if i find myself going there, I'll let you know. :)

CK
Good deal! Likewise, if I find myself back in the L.A. metro area.

OF

1 - 20 of 20 Posts